[comp.software-eng] UNIX Project Mgmt Tools

gowgiel@motcid.UUCP (Jim Gowgiel) (12/08/90)

Our group is currently investigating and evaluating UNIX-based Project
Management tools for use on Sun workstations (Sun 3/xx).  I am looking
for input from anyone who has had experience with such PM tools.  This
includes tools that are in use, tools that were evaluated and not
chosen (and reasons for not chosing them), etc., as well as your
experiences with these tools.

We are mainly interested in PM tools for Software Project Management,
but would welcome input on tools that are general but would work for
s/w PM.

If possible, please include vendor contact information.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jim Gowgiel                                     1501 W. Shure Drive
Motorola Inc.                                   Arlington Heights, IL 60004

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (12/11/90)

gowgiel@motcid.UUCP (Jim Gowgiel) writes:

>Our group is currently investigating and evaluating UNIX-based Project
>Management tools for use on Sun workstations (Sun 3/xx).  I am looking
>for input from anyone who has had experience with such PM tools.  This
>includes tools that are in use, tools that were evaluated and not
>chosen (and reasons for not chosing them), etc., as well as your
>experiences with these tools.
>We are mainly interested in PM tools for Software Project Management,
>but would welcome input on tools that are general but would work for
>s/w PM.
>If possible, please include vendor contact information.
>Thanks in advance.
>--
>Jim Gowgiel                                     1501 W. Shure Drive
>Motorola Inc.                                   Arlington Heights, IL 60004
>uucp: ..!uunet!motcid!gowgiel                   (708) 632-4753

YOu may look at a revolutionary new s/w from a small company.  I have
seen their product, but since I am not a direct user, I can not comment
beyond the fact that it greatly impressed me.

        Digital Tools, Inc.
        (408) 446-1626
        FAX: (408) 446-2140

I have no connection with DTI, just that I like to see good products
make it in the marketplace.
--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra
      | (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445; Advanced Micro Devices
      | MS 167; Box 3453; 901, Thompson Pl., Sunnyvale, CA 94088

ejp@icd.ab.com (Ed Prochak) (12/11/90)

Back at CompuGRAPHIC I used SUNTRAC and found it very useful.
Possibly the best feature was the ability for a task to be
its own project plan with subtasks and activities. It has a
graphic interface under suntools (I don't know if there is
an X windows version). It has been a couple years since I have
actively used it. Ask SUN for a demo.

Edward J. Prochak   Voice: w(216)646-4663  h(216)349-1821
               Email: {cwjcc,pyramid,decvax,uunet}!ejp@icd.ab.com
USmail: Allen-Bradley, 747 Alpha Drive, Highland Heights,OH 44143
Wellington: ENGINEERING is "the ability to do for one dollar,
                            what any damn fool can do for two."

lewin@rocket.uucp (Stu Lewin) (12/12/90)

gowgiel@motcid.UUCP (Jim Gowgiel) writes:

>Our group is currently investigating and evaluating UNIX-based Project
>Management tools for use on Sun workstations (Sun 3/xx).  I am looking
>for input from anyone who has had experience with such PM tools.  This

You might try a product I just saw at TRI-Ada (although it's not Ada
specific) called GECOMO Plus. It's both a planning (based on the
COCOMO model) as well as tracking tool. We plan to get a copy to
evaluate at some point as we've been generally unimpressed with such
tools running on Suns. The address is:

  GEC Marconi Software Systems
  12110 Sunset Hills Road
  Reston, VA 22090
  703/648-1551 (Voice) or 703/476-8035 (FAX)

  Paul Raymond (Technical Support Manager) was who I talked to

I have no connection with GEC Marconi, and would be interested in
any experiences anyone else has with their products.
--
Stu Lewin                                  Lockheed Sanders, Inc.
Ada Projects Leader                        PO Box 2034, MER24-1583C