[comp.software-eng] Looking for fellow testers

taylord@Software.Mitel.COM (Don Taylor) (11/29/90)

Hello,

I am responsible for test group here at Mitel that performs independant testing
of our products.  This is mostly software testing and the products range upto
about 1.5 million lines of embedded systems code.  Most of the work centres
around finding ways to economically test incremental functionality and
maintenance releases of existing software for Mitel's PBX products.

I would like to get in contact with other people who perform similar work to
exchange ideas and possibly site visits.  The idea is to discuss better ways of
performing system testing and kindred activities.

If anyone has this sort of experience and is interested in sharing ideas, then
would you please write me at the address below.

Thx.   Don.

taylord@Software.Mitel.COM (Don Taylor) (11/29/90)

My apologies for reposting this, but I forgot to include my signature file for
any responses.

I am responsible for test group here at Mitel that performs independant testing
of our products.  This is mostly software testing and the products range upto
about 1.5 million lines of embedded systems code.  Most of the work centres
around finding ways to economically test incremental functionality and
maintenance releases of existing software for Mitel's PBX products.

I would like to get in contact with other people who perform similar work to
exchange ideas and possibly site visits.  The idea is to discuss better ways of
performing system testing and kindred activities.

If anyone has this sort of experience and is interested in sharing ideas, then
would you please write me at the address below.

Thx.   Don.

Don Taylor (613)-592-2122 x 3007	 mitel!taylord@uunet.uu.net
Mitel Corp.				 ...!uunet!mitel!taylord
350 Legget Drive, Kanata
Ontario, Canada, K2K 1X3

alanw@ashtate (Alan Weiss) (12/13/90)

In article <5512@taylord> taylord@Software.Mitel.COM (Don Taylor) writes:
>Hello,
>
>If anyone has this sort of experience and [testing software] is interested in sharing ideas, then
>would you please write me at the address below.
>
>Thx.   Don.

Yo!  Right here!  Lots of experience (11 years in S/W, 6 in QA/Test), and
lots of tools/ideas/stories.  Lets talk!  Anyone else?

.__________________________________________________________.
|-- Alan R. Weiss --     | These thoughts are yours for the|
|alanw@ashton		 | taking, being generated by a    |
|alanw@ashtate.A-T.COM	 | failed Turing Test program.     |
|!uunet!ashton!alanw	 |---------------------------------|
|213-538-7584		 | Anarchy works.  Look at Usenet! |
|________________________|_________________________________|

schultz@motcid.UUCP (Rob Schultz) (12/14/90)

In <1990Dec12.213754.27370@ashtate> alanw@ashtate (Alan Weiss) writes:

>Yo!  Right here!  Lots of experience (11 years in S/W, 6 in QA/Test), and
>lots of tools/ideas/stories.  Lets talk!  Anyone else?

I am a member of the Independent Software Test Group for Strategic
Engineering within Motorola's Cellular Group.  And VERY interested in
testing methods, tools, environments, metrics, cost estimation, etc.

By the way, every once in a while, someone proposes a
comp.software-testing newsgroup, but nothing ever comes of it.  Are we
starting to generate enough interest in our chosen field to bring up
this request again?

--
Thanks -                      Rob Schultz, Motorola General Systems Sector
     rms                     3209 N Wilke Rd, Arlington Heights, IL  60004

ewoods@hemel.bull.co.uk (Eoin Woods) (12/14/90)

schultz@motcid.UUCP (Rob Schultz) writes:

>By the way, every once in a while, someone proposes a
>comp.software-testing newsgroup, but nothing ever comes of it.  Are we
>starting to generate enough interest in our chosen field to bring up
>this request again?

I'm not a "professional" test engineer, but rather a software engineer
who is working in testing/QA at the moment, but the sound of a
comp.software-test newsgroup sounds good as there are loads of areas
that look hopeful for discussion.

Eoin.
~    Eoin Woods, Software Development Group, Bull HN Information Systems,   ~
~                Maxted Road, Hemel Hempstead, Herts HP2 7DZ                ~
~                   Tel :   +44 442 232222 x4823                            ~
~                   Fax :   +44 442 234084                                  ~
~                   < Eoin.Woods@hemel.bull.co.uk >                         ~
~          < When do we start news group comp.os.emacs ?  :-) >             ~

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (12/15/90)

If you are interested in software testing information, particularly
some reports on mutation testing, environment testing, dataflow,
testing of specifications, and/or reliability measures applied to
testing, check out the SERC bibliography described in my earlier
posting.

If not, never mind.  :-)
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,