[comp.software-eng] Need Automated Testing Tools for Sun workstations

bradlee@cg-atla.UUCP (Rob Bradlee) (11/29/90)

I'm looking for suggestions of tools that will automate Quality Assurance
testing of our products.   Currently the systems we develop run  on SUN
sparcStations allowing the user to do interactive page layout, text
composition, and image retouch and then output color separations to
our output devices.   Any information you can mail me about tools for
automated testing of our products would be most appreciated.

				Rob Bradlee

--
Rob Bradlee  w:(508)-658-5600 X5153  h:(617)-944-5595
AGFA Compugraphic Division.    ...!{decvax,samsung}!cg-atla!bradlee

alanw@ashtate (Alan Weiss) (12/13/90)

In article <9282@cg-atla.UUCP> bradlee@cg-atla.UUCP (Rob Bradlee) writes:

>I'm looking for suggestions of tools that will automate Quality Assurance
>testing of our products....

>....   Any information you can mail me about tools for
>automated testing of our products would be most appreciated.
>
>				Rob Bradlee

I too have a similar problem to solve.  Any Test and/or Quality
Assurance people out there with experience in automated testing?
Developers?

As an aside, I am looking into MDQS (Multiple Device Queueing System),
a US Army research project originally designed for print queues (but
of course readily adaptable to any queueing problem, i.e. the queueing
up of tests for execution).  As I understand it, MDQS is in the
public domain (being paid for by the taxpayers of the USA).  I can
provide a pointer to the source if need be.

My other problem is a corallary to the first:  how do you test
a GUI (Graphical User Interface)?  Modify the X-server to track
screen/mouse events?  Outside keyboard macro package?  Any ideas?

Rob, lets trade information!  Let me know what you find out.

.__________________________________________________________.
|-- Alan R. Weiss --     | These thoughts are yours for the|
|alanw@ashton		 | taking, being generated by a    |
|alanw@ashtate.A-T.COM	 | failed Turing Test program.     |
|!uunet!ashton!alanw	 |---------------------------------|
|213-538-7584		 | Anarchy works.  Look at Usenet! |
|________________________|_________________________________|

pcg@spl27.spl.fac.com (Paul C George) (12/15/90)

Software Reasearch Inc. has a suite of x based tools for testing which amoung
other things allowsthe capture of input events and client/server interactions in
a macro like fashion. These may be played back for regression testing. In
addition it annotates code in order to accumulate test coverage statistics and provides test management services.

  The contact I have is Frank Zilveti (415)957-1441.
  625 Third St. San Francisco Ca.  94107-1997

I don't know if this meets your needs, but it's worth a shot. Feel free to forward
to Rob Bradlee, the tool set does have some primitive data generation
capabilities.