[comp.software-eng] How to *design* an efficient system?

ylarotiala@cc.helsinki.fi (12/28/90)

In article <470@eiffel.UUCP>, bertrand@eiffel.UUCP (Bertrand Meyer) writes:
> This is quite interesting. I don't remember ever reading any such
> its famous introductory chapter explaining that faster machines
> make efficient algorithms more crucial, not less.
>
> I also do not recall meeting any ``software professionals'' who
> were not concerned about efficiency in both time and space.

I would like to point out the book (grammar? I'm a  Finn)  ``Performance
Engineering  of  Software  Systems''  by  Connie  Smith.  It is somewhat
concerned with the fact  that  a  logically  sound  design  could  be  a
disaster  when executed. The book gets quite detailed (what does it mean
to use a different pager, for instance), but it did  raise  some  useful
questions  about  the  performance of the systems we are designing. I do
recommend (though, what is my recommendation...)

Aarne Yl\"a-Rotiala
ylarotiala @ cc.helsinki.fi

Happy New Year
for all those waiting it at 1st Jan and