[comp.software-eng] Looking for books

straub@jogger.cs.umd.edu (Pablo A. Straub) (12/20/90)

I am building my personal library and I need help on selecting  books.
I  plan  to  buy  around  10 - 15 books on different areas of software
engineering and related fields.  Please tell me about  your  favourite
book.   Also,  if you know of some book club with interesting material
(and discounts!  :-), please tell me.

Thanks,

--
Pablo Straub       straub@cs.umd.edu

andy@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Andy Pippin <The Elf>) (12/20/90)

Like, ya' know, then straub@jogger.cs.umd.edu (Pablo A. Straub) says...
~I am building my personal library and I need help on selecting  books.
~I  plan  to  buy  around  10 - 15 books on different areas of software
~engineering and related fields.  Please tell me about  your  favourite
~book.

	I would think that magazines (ie IEEE Transactions & ACM's
	SIGSOFT) would keep you up to date.

    aBp.

--
Andy Pippin			\    Spikes Place:  because life is too
andy@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU	 \	   short to drink cheap beer.

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) (12/21/90)

  I would recommend Peopleware by DeMarco and Lister. It is a excellent
discussion of the people issues in software engineering.

-- Dave Ritchie
ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (12/21/90)

In article <15050003@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) writes:

>  I would recommend Peopleware by DeMarco and Lister. It is a excellent
>discussion of the people issues in software engineering.

I read this (after many recommendations) and while I generally liked it,
some of the conclusions just didn't seem to follow from their data or
arguments.  My favorite book on people issues is:

Philip Metzger, Managing_Programming_People.

Short and readable like Peopleware but focuses more on specific software
engineering activites.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8469    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

jcardow@blackbird.afit.af.mil (James E. Cardow) (12/21/90)

straub@jogger.cs.umd.edu (Pablo A. Straub) writes:

>I am building my personal library and I need help on selecting  books.
>I  plan  to  buy  around  10 - 15 books on different areas of software
>engineering and related fields.  Please tell me about  your  favourite
>book.   Also,  if you know of some book club with interesting material
>(and discounts!  :-), please tell me.

I don't know if this will help much in what you are looking for, but
we teach continuing education to working software professionals.
During the course we try to stress the importance of "professionalism."

One of the things we have recommended is developing a professional,
personal library.  This is the current list.  We are still working on it,
and it is just the opinions of the course instructors.  Please assume
the every and all possible disclaimer of blame is in place and treat this
as our opinion.

A Recommended Software Engineering Library
AFIT Software Engineering Professional Continuing Education

We recommend that students begin to  build a personal software
engineering library.  The books listed below comprise a good
start to that library.

%	One or two of the following software engineering texts:

Fairley85
Fairley, R. E.  Software Engineering Concepts.  New York:
McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1985.

Pressman87
Pressman, R. S.  Software Engineering: A Practitioner's Approach.
New York:  McGraw-Hill, 1987.

Schach90 (required text for WCSE 471)
Schach, S. R.  Software Engineering.  Homewood, IL:  Richard D. Irwin,
Inc., and Aksen Associates, Inc., 1990.

Sommerville89
Sommerville I., Software Engineering.  New York: Addison-Wesley,1989.

%	One of the following collections of foundational articles in software engineering:

Oman90
Oman, P. W. and Lewis, T. G., eds. Milestones in Software Evolution.
Washington, DC:  IEEE Computer Society Press, 1988.

Thayer88 (required text for WCSE 471)
Tutorial:  Software Engineering Project Management.  R. H. Thayer, ed.
Washington, DC:  IEEE Computer Society Press, 1988.

%	The following software requirements texts:

Davis90 (required text for WCSE 472)
Davis, A. M.  Software Requirements Analysis and Specification.
Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1990.

Gause89 (required text for WCSE 472)
Gause, D. C. and Weinberg G. M.  Exploring Requirements:
Quality Before Design.  New York:  Dorset House Publishing, 1989.

%	The following design text:

Booch91 (probable required text for WCSE 473)
Booch, G. R.  Object Oriented Design with Applications.
Menlo Park, CA:  Benjamin/Cummings, 1991.

%	The following verification and validation texts:

Beizer84 (probable required text for WCSE 475)
Beizer, B.  Software System Testing and Quality Assurance.
New York:  Van Nostrand, 1984.

Gries81 (possible required text for WCSE 475)
Gries, D.  The Science of Programming.  New York:  Springer-Verlag, 1981.

%	Humphrey's book on the software process:

Humphrey89
Humphrey, W. S. Managing the Software Process.  Reading, MA:
Addison-Wesley, 1989.

%	In addition, we recommend any library contain a language
reference for each programming language you use and an operating
system reference for each operating system you use.  Space does
not permit us to include recommendations for individual languages
and operating systems.

We also believe the following books are valuable for any software
engineering collection:

Bersoff80
Bersoff, E. H., Henderson, V. D., and  Siegel, S. G.  Software
Configuration Management An Investment in Product Integrity.
Englewood Cliffs, NJ:  Prentice-Hall, Inc, 1980.

Boehm81
Boehm, B. W.  Software Engineering Economics.  Englewood Cliffs, NJ:
Prentice-Hall, 1981.

Brooks75
Brooks, F. P., Jr.  The Mythical Man-Month.  Reading, MA:
Addison-Wesley, 1975.

Deming82
Deming, W. E.  Out of the Crisis.  Cambridge, MA:  Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, 1982.

Myers79
Myers, G. J.  The Art of Software Testing.  New York:  John Wiley, 1979.

	Jim Cardow, Capt, USAF
        Air Force Institute of Technology
        Instructor of Software Engineering
        Professional Continuing Education Program

michaelo@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Mickael J. O'Hair) (12/29/90)

For one of the best works on management, read "The Art of War" by Sun-Tzu.  A
recent edition was put out by James Clavell (of "Shogun", etc.) and is truly
excellent.  I am particularly fond of the aphorism "spies are your most
important resource."  Having suffered through several now-defunct companies
that did not view marketing as an intelligence-gathering function, I can
vouch personally for the utility of this classic book.

			    -mjo-