[comp.software-eng] Looking for X based Project Management Tools.

msh30@ruts.ccc.amdahl.com (Mark Hahn) (02/01/91)

In article <1229@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> londono@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Felix Londono) writes:
>Looking for any references to X based Project Management Tools.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Felix Londono

A couple of weeks ago I requested information on project management
software running under X.  As promised, here is a summary of the

It sounds like there isn't much available yet.  Most of the responses
suggested SunTrac, a Sun Microsystems product, which I believe runs
under SunView, not under X.  The other possibility is GECOMO Plus,
which seems to be more of an estimation tool than a
scheduling/tracking tool.

Anybody want to become rich and famous by porting MacProject II to X?

Summary follows (long):

From: Alun Jones <tharr!gombo@relay.EU.net>

Open Plan from Welcom Software is now available under Unix.

When I can get people here organised enough, I intend to be sent on a course
to learn X-Windows (I can get all I want from books, but it would help to
have some real qualifications!).
Once I know X-Windows, I'm going to develop X-versions of most of Open Plan's
executables.  (Time analysis, Resource scheduling, Reporting, etc.)

The bits that you mention - graphical input of time bars - sounds like you
want an X-windows version of Project Executive - a part of Open Plan
designed to be used exactly as you describe.

I think we're probably looking at a time lapse of about six months or so before
X-Open (giggle) Plan begins to be saleable.  (That may be optimistic, I don't
yet know what X-Windows can do - it's not available yet for my tinny SCO
Unix)

I hope this information helps you, if you want more information about Open Plan
in general, I suggest you contact our American headquarters.  (Unix development
is done in the U.K., so I can't guarantee how much help they'll be for Unix)
They are based at:

Welcom Software Technology
Suite 275
15995 North Barkers Landing
Houston
Texas
77079

(telephone number is 0101-713-558-0514 from UK - I don't know how much of that
is STD code for America)

Cheers,
Alun.
From: kung@evax.utarl.edu (Chenho Kung)

Excellent descriptions of COCOMO can be found in
Pressman, R. "Software Engineering: a practitioner's approach",
McGraw-Hill, 1987.

or

Fairley, R. "Software Engineering Concepts", McGraw-Hill, 1985.

SunTrac on Sun can draw PERT, generate Gantt chart, and does
the things that you want.

Chenho
From: motcid!bronze!gowgiel@uunet.UU.NET (Jim Gowgiel)

A few months ago, I posted a similar request for material for the Sun
3/xx workstations, running SunView.  I got very few responses.  The
which we already use.  It does some of what you request (pert networks, gantt
charts, scheduling, etc.).  Contact Sun for info.

I also caught the article posted regarding GECOMO (actually, the one I
got was for GECOMO Plus):

>> You might try a product I just saw at TRI-Ada (although it's not Ada
>> specific) called GECOMO Plus. It's both a planning (based on the
>> COCOMO model) as well as tracking tool. We plan to get a copy to
>> evaluate at some point as we've been generally unimpressed with such
>> tools running on Suns. The address is:
>>
>>    GEC Marconi Software Systems
>>    12110 Sunset Hills Road
>>    Reston, VA 22090
>>    703/648-1551 (Voice) or 703/476-8035 (FAX)
>>
>>   Paul Raymond (Technical Support Manager) was who I talked to
>>
>> I have no connection with GEC Marconi, and would be interested in
>> any experiences anyone else has with their products.
>> --
>> Stu Lewin                                  Lockheed Sanders, Inc.
>> Ada Projects Leader                        PO Box 2034, MER24-1583C
>> Signal Processing Center of Technology     Nashua, NH 03061-2034
>> uunet!rocket!lewin                         603/885-0179 (Voice)
>> (or) lewin@rocket.sanders.com              603/885-0631 (FAX)

Most of the other responses I received were requests for summaries of
the information that I do get.  It seems that there is alot of people
that want the info, but nobody really knows what's out there that can
be used (or they don't share the info :-) ).  Anyway, I did not receive
much info that I did not already know.

However, if you do hear of anything really good, I would surely
appreciate any info.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Gowgiel                                     1501 W. Shure Drive
Motorola Inc.                                   Arlington Heights, IL 60004
uucp: ..!uunet!motcid!gowgiel                   (708) 632-4753
From: dob@inel.gov (Dave Brooks)
There briefly follows a description of the GECOMO and GEST project
management tools, but first can I ask you for a postal address so that
we can send to you the datasheets on these products.

Our main office is in the UK the details are:-

	    Contact Name : John Aspinall (Marketing Manager)
	    Telephone No.: 081 953 2030
	    Fax No.      : 081 906 6362
	    Address      : GEC Marconi Software Systems
			   Elstree Way
			   Borehamwood
			   Hertfordshire
			   WD6 1RX
			   England

We have a US office which you can contact, the details are:-

	    Contact Names : Susie Boers or Paul Raymond or Bill Shaw
	    Telephone No. : 703 648 1551
	    Fax No.       : 703 476 8035
	    Address       : GEC Marconi Software Systems
			    121100 Sunset Hills Road
			    Suite 450
			    Reston
			    Virginia 22090

I'm afraid that our US office does not have email yet so they cannot be
contacted by that method.

GECOMO PLUS

GECOMO Plus is a cost estimation package that estimates software
cost and software effort in terms of man-months and duration. This cost
and effort can be split over a six phase distribution (From Requirements
to Maintenance). For individual phases cost and effort can be split again
over ten activity distributions (including Project Management, Design and
Configuration Management). Estimates can also be broken down over
particular subsystems rather that just over the whole development project
to give greater flexability.

GECOMO Plus is an implementation of Dr Barry Boehms "Detailed COCOMO"
model with a number of extensions. These extensions
include an Ada Process Model to give greater Ada lifecycle support, an
Increment Development Model to compromise functional and time
requirements through the use of development increments,  a Staff Assignment
Model to match real staff resources onto an ideal estimate.

The inputs to the model are the type of development being undertaken, the
software component hierarchy, these component sizes and eighteen cost
attributes or drivers covering product, personnel, computer and project
areas. These cost drivers can be different for each component. In the near
future GECOMO Plus will be able to import from
the GEST Function Point tool component sizes based on a Function Point count
of that component.

The tool support for GECOMO Plus is provided through a graphical user
interface based on X Window System and OSF/Motif technology. The tool
uses an efficient database to hold the GECOMO Model equation constants and
actual project estimate data. Configurable report generation includes ascii
text and high quality Postscript. Online help for each stage if tool usage
is provided.

Support services provided include installation, full product documentation,
technical support, training courses and expert consultancy.

GECOMO Plus is presently available on the following platforms:

	Sun3/Sparc Under SunOS
	HP9000 Under HP-UX
	IBM RS/6000 Under AIX
	DEC Vax Under VMS
	APOLLO Under SR/10  (near future)

Other ports are under consideration.

For pricing please contact the US office above.

GEST

GEST is a Function Point Analysis package that estimates a projects Function
Point count based on known characteristics of a project. A Function Point is
an abstract quality and has many uses through the development life-cycle.
A function point is calculated from a weighted sum of different types of
attributes that can be identified in a software development project. The
original method
defined by Alan Albrecht at IBM used the number of inputs, outputs, inquires
and internal/external data groups. This raw function point can then be
adjusted by complexity factors effecting the size of a project.

GEST supports a number of function point methods which are suitable for
different types of applications and are tailored for different usages. The
following three are suitable for data processing:

		Albrechts Function Point Method

		Symons' Mark II Function Points

		SPR Function Points

The original Function Point techniques have recently been extended to cope
more effectively with real-time, military, safety critical and scientific
applications. GEST supports:

		SPR Feature Points

		GEC Real-Time Method

Beyond calculating function points GEST has tool support for code size
and development effort/cost estimation. The component code size can be
in one of many languages or even split up into multiple languages. The
effort estimation from function points should only be seen as a very
rough guide as it uses only a simple linear equation to calculate man
months. An alternative, more reliable method of calulating effort from
the function point count is to obtain an estimate of the size interms
of lines of code from the function points and then use this in an
algorithmic estimation model sush as COCOMO. GEST has facilities that
allow this size estimate to be calculated and passed on for use in the
GECOMO Plus tool to provide a fuller more accurate estimate.

GEST has a number of features that can optionally be used with all the
Function Point Methods. An incremental development model is supported which
allows a compromise between functional and time requirements. Effort
adjustment is allowed with the effort/cost estimate generated by the linear
equation from the function point being adjusted by environmental factors.
These
adjust the result very much like the cost drivers do to a COCOMO estimate.
It is possible to allow for the reuse of code specified in terms of lines of
code or raw function points in a project undergoing estimation. Whichever
value is specified the other is calculated through a process called
"backfiring". A feature which has been described earlier is the GEST
to GECOMO Plus integration which allows a lines of code size estimate to be
generated by GEST from a function point count and then inputted into GECOMO
Plus to be used to generate a COCOMO estimate.

The tool support GEST is very much like GECOMO Plus. This includes a
graphical user interface based on X Window System and OSF/Motif technology.
an efficient database to hold Function Point data and configurable report
generation in ASCII or Postcript. Online help is provided for tool usage.

Support services as for GECOMO Plus are provided.

GEST is under the final stages of development and will firstly be available
under Sun 3 followed by the platforms that GECOMO Plus supports.

For release date and pricing please contact the US office above.

John Farley
GEC Marconi Software Systems
Borehamwood, Herts, England
Tel 081 906 6296

Mark Hahn
msh30@ruts.ccc.amdahl.com
Amdahl Corporation

davis@mwunix.mitre.org (David Davis) (02/02/91)

On a somewhat relevant topic, has nayone in this thread
found any sources for articles, papers, etc. on the subject
of X performance measurement?  I would like to avoid
reinventing a wheel.

Thanks in advance.

--
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Dave Davis                             davis@mwunix.mitre.org