[comp.software-eng] CASE Tools

polack@aero.ARPA (Alexander J. Polack) (01/07/88)

I have received a number of calls and E-Mail messages in response to my
original comment that I have done an evaluation of CASE tools.
Most people want a copy of a report. Unfortunately, the full report is
not available to public at present time.

In a very near future (1-2 months) I am planning to publish an
abriviated version of the report including the evaluation methodology.

Bellow are some excerpts from my article that should give some indication of
what I have done.

The following tools were evaluated:

	TekCASE
	Teamwork
	Software Through Pictures
	DesignAid
	Exelerator
	TAGS
	Statemate

In my evaluation I've looked into the following areas:

	1. Methodologies the tool supports.
	2. Platforms (workstations) and Operating Systems it supports.
	3. Ease of use.
	4. Ease of learning
	5. Tool robustness
	6. Its interface with other tools.
	7. User interface.
	8. Quality of support.

The above list is NOT in the order of importance. However, I did concentrate
on the "front end" parts of the software development cycle (analysis/design),
considered ONLY tools that run on the 32 bit workstations with high resolution
bit-mapped graphics displays that run multi-tasking/multi-user operating
systems.

I placed the issue of methodology support at the top of the list, since
"a tool is just that - a tool". Very often if a tool does not support some
useful methodology that can be taught by experts, it quickly becomes a very
expensive graphic tool, and produces a very large number of dissatisfied
users.

When it becomes possible, I will let this group know where and when my
report is being published.

	Regards,

	Alex Polack
	(213)373-5723

shawn@loral.UUCP (Shawn McFarr) (02/26/88)

I am looking for CASE tools that would use either JSD, OOD, or Data Flow
design methodologies. If anyone has used any of these methodolgies, Could
you also tell me what you think their weaknesses/strengths might be?
In case of Jackson System Development, Can you tell in what applications
you used his JSD approach?

If there is enough interests, I will post the results.

Shawn McFarr
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!shawn

--
Shawn McFarr
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!shawn

greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz (super) (10/04/89)

Hi, we are beginning an evaluation of CASE tools, and are curious
to know where to start. We are about to purchase a pair of Unix
work stations for software development, and are interested to know
what CASE tools are being used in the industry, and what the user
opinions of these tools are.

     Naturally, if someone has done this all before, a summary of the
replies could save me a lot of hassle.

I will summarise what replies I get in a later posting. If you are
using these tools, please write in with your comments and experiences.

Things we would like to know -
How much more productive do you feel you are working under this case
    methodology ?
How easy is it to use ?
What of these areas of the System does it deal with, and how well ?
    - Specification
    - Analysis
    - Design
    - System Documentation Generation
    - User Documentation Generation
    - Code Generation
    - Maintenance and Revision
        (Obviously, no case tools will do all of the above).
What size of system is it designed for ? How many users (analysts and/or
    programmers, not system users), and how well does it coordinate
    between them ?
What level and type of hardware do you feel is necessary to make it fly ?
Is it designed for a specific language or project type ?
What do you feel you have gained from using it ? What have you lost ?
In what areas do you find you circumvent the tools to achieve what you want
    in a more practical manner or time scale ?
How have the final systems benefited from using CASE tools ?
Comments.

Obviously, we are more interested in the smaller systems, but any replies
will be enthusiasically received, and collated in the final reply.

Also, if you sell these systems, please send some details, including what
platforms it runs on and is being ported to, distributors (including NZ if
you make it here), and what general market you are aiming at.

Thanks for your time - I hope to make this as broad as possible, so if you
have some experience in these, please contribute.

What about a comp.case ? Is there enough interest yet ?
--
Greg Calkin                                   Thomas Cook N.Z. Limited,
...!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!marcamd!tcnz2!greg  PO Box 24,  Auckland CPO,

lewin@batman.uucp (Stu Lewin) (01/09/90)

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I just started to follow this
news group...

Anyway, I have been tasked with examining existing CASE tool
technology and trying to make some kind of intelligent decision on
purchasing one. We use mostly Suns here for development work, with an
emphasis on real-time. I've had a trial evaluation copy of Software
Through Pictures, and plan on getting a copy of Teamwork in. But I'd
be interested in anything else out there that someone feels was
applicable. So, if you e-mail me your experiences and/or
recommendations (with either of the above or something different) I'll
post a summary when done.

Thanks in Advance!

--
Stu Lewin                                        Sanders Associates, Inc.
Member, Technical Staff                          PO Box 2034, MER24-1583C

                 e-mail:
                      @uunet.uu.net:lewin@rocket.uucp
                 (or) ..!uunet!rocket!lewin
                 (or) ..!decvax!savax!rocket!lewin

theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (01/10/91)

I am looking for information regarding specific CASE tools and their
vendors. I will be doing an evaluation on the tools available for
UNIX , MS-DOS, and os/2 environments being the target oper. systems.

If you have heard about a good tool, want to brag about your company's
tool, or just share some information , please mail the information
to :
        theo@cs.fau.edu

Thanks in advance.

Theodora Heavey
Florida Atlantic University
Dept of Computer Science

theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (01/22/91)

Recently I asked the net to send ANY information regarding CASE tools.
I have had a bit of a response with as many "please send summary"
requests as information.

What I want to do is do one more call for information and then post
an abbreviated summary to the net with the FULL summary to an
anon ftp site here at FAU. Precise information regarding address, etc
to follow in the abbreviated summary.

So ONE MORE TIME: Does anyone have any information regarding CASE tools
that will run in any environment from PC to mini to mainframe?

Please send responses to : theo@cs.fau.edu

If you have requested information previously I will send the summary
in condensed form to your mailing address.

Thanks to everyone who has participated and I hope to hear from the rest of
you soon.

Theo Heavey

kambic@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (01/25/91)

In article <usm7V1w163w@cs.fau.edu>, theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:
> Recently I asked the net to send ANY information regarding CASE tools.
> I have had a bit of a response with as many "please send summary"
> requests as information.

There are at least two CASE newsletters in existence, one out of somewhere
in Oregon (I don't subscribe so I don't have a copy at the moment).

There are at least two major CASE conventions a year: check the IEEE Spectrum
meeting listings.  Software Quality Engineering in Jacksonville FA
publishes a list of Testing oriented CASE tools.

Be prepared to pay.  The CASE newsletters are about $300+ or so per year.

Spectrum in the past year or two has run some articles on software technologies
that have manufacturers names in.  Have you researched any of these?

GXKambic
standard disclaimer

warren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Warren Harrison) (01/26/91)

In article <2940.279ef33e@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> kambic@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

>There are at least two CASE newsletters in existence, one out of somewhere
>in Oregon (I don't subscribe so I don't have a copy at the moment).

The two that I get are:

	CASE Trends
	PO Box 294-MO
	Shrewsbury, MA  01545-0294  Subscription: $49/year (bimonthly)

	C/A/S/E Outlook
	CASE Consulting Group, Inc.
	11830 Kerr Parkway, Suite 315
	Lake Oswego, OR  97035      Subscription: $395/year (monthly?)

	Also (I gotta' give it a plug) there's a new one out that isn't
        particularly CASE oriented, though they spend some space on CASE
        (not particularly favorable space :-):

		The Software Practitioner
		PO Box 213
		State College, PA  16804	$40/year

I'm sure I missed some - we can't forget IEEE Software - especially that
Test Lab Column ;-) I'm sure it'll have some CASE tool reviews in it over
the next few months.

Warren

Warren Harrison                                          warren@cs.pdx.edu
Center for Software Quality Research                          503/725-3108
Portland State University/CMPS

kambic@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (02/05/91)

In article <1282@pdxgate.UUCP>, warren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Warren Harrison) writes:
> In article <2940.279ef33e@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> kambic@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>>
>>There are at least two CASE newsletters in existence, one out of somewhere
>>in Oregon (I don't subscribe so I don't have a copy at the moment).
>>
> The two that I get are:
>
> 	CASE Trends
> 	PO Box 294-MO
> 	Shrewsbury, MA  01545-0294  Subscription: $49/year (bimonthly)
>
> 	C/A/S/E Outlook
> 	CASE Consulting Group, Inc.
> 	11830 Kerr Parkway, Suite 315
> 	Lake Oswego, OR  97035      Subscription: $395/year (monthly?)
>

> 	Also (I gotta' give it a plug) there's a new one out that isn't
>         particularly CASE oriented, though they spend some space on CASE
>         (not particularly favorable space :-):
>
> 		The Software Practitioner
> 		PO Box 213
> 		State College, PA  16804	$40/year
>
> I'm sure I missed some - we can't forget IEEE Software - especially that
> Test Lab Column ;-) I'm sure it'll have some CASE tool reviews in it over
> the next few months.
>
> Warren

> Warren Harrison                                          warren@cs.pdx.edu
> Center for Software Quality Research                          503/725-3108
> Portland State University/CMPS
Get ahold of the SW Engineering Technical Committee  Newsletter, 1/91.  It
lists newsletters relevant to SW eng.

GXKambic
Allen-Bradley