[comp.software-eng] Overview of Current Requirements & Design

bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) (02/07/91)

Can anyone suggest books or training that would help me
find out what the current trends, philosophies, or
methodologies are in doing Requirements & Design.

Our company is trying to establish some standards for
Software Development (the only one they've decided on,
so far, is DSSD).  My training in this area is 10 years
stale and was for a Bachelors degree in Information
Systems.

All suggestions welcome.

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Mohler
Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)

kambic@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (02/08/91)

In article <16421@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
> Can anyone suggest books or training that would help me
> find out what the current trends, philosophies, or
> methodologies are in doing Requirements & Design.
>
> Our company is trying to establish some standards for
> Software Development (the only one they've decided on,
> so far, is DSSD).  My training in this area is 10 years
> stale and was for a Bachelors degree in Information
> Systems.
>
> All suggestions welcome.
>
> Bruce
>
> --
> Bruce W. Mohler
> Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)
> bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu
> voice: 619-586-2218

1.	Common sense - (obvious)
2.	Exploring Requirements: Quality before Design: - Weinberg
Very good book - also runs sensible seminars.

GXKambic
Standard Disclaimers

hsrender@happy.colorado.edu (02/08/91)

In article <16421@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
> Can anyone suggest books or training that would help me
> find out what the current trends, philosophies, or
> methodologies are in doing Requirements & Design.
>
> Our company is trying to establish some standards for
> Software Development (the only one they've decided on,
> so far, is DSSD).  My training in this area is 10 years
> stale and was for a Bachelors degree in Information
> Systems.
>
> All suggestions welcome.
>
> Bruce
>
> --
> Bruce W. Mohler
> Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)
> bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu
> voice: 619-586-2218

There's a good collection of papers on requirements recent put out by the
IEEE:
	SYSTEM AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS ENGINEERING
	Edited by Richard H. Thayer and Merlin Dorfman
	Copyright 1990
	IEEE Computer Society Press
	Los Alamitos, CA
	ISBN: 0-8186-8921-8

The book is some 700 pages long, and has contributions from many outstanding
researchers in the field.

hal.