[comp.software-eng] Do you have documentation standards?

rick@kimbal.lynn.ma.us (Rick Kimball) (02/09/91)

My group (3 people) has been reading the book "Managing the Software
Process" by Watts S.  Humphrey.  After performing the suggested
Software Process Assessment we have determined that we are at the
Initial Process Level.  However, we do perform many of the activities
associated with the higher levels intuitively.

To move to the next level of software engineering maturity we need to
put in place a more formal process definition.  What I'm really
looking for is a cookbook that outlines what should be expected from
each step of the process and a definition of what each process is.
I'm looking to see what other companies are using?  Do you have a
skeleton document for each process?  To what extent have you
automated the process?

At little background on my group might be appropriate.  I work
for a large company that manufactures factory machinery.  My
group provides custom software that runs on UNIX and MS-DOS
computers.  We are really a systems integration house.  We
buy as much of the software that we can, then piece it together
to provide an intergrated environment for our users.  Unlike
others doing true software engineering who can set their own
agenda, we have to respond on a daily basis to software crisis
programming.  If they want it we basically have to provide it.

Any references to books or FTP'able documents would be appreciated.

Please mail all responses to me and I will summarize them.

Rick Kimball  |  INTERNET: rick@kimbal.lynn.ma.us

kambic@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (02/12/91)

In article <1194@kimbal.lynn.ma.us>, rick@kimbal.lynn.ma.us (Rick Kimball) writes:
> To move to the next level of software engineering maturity we need to
> put in place a more formal process definition.  What I'm really
> looking for is a cookbook that outlines what should be expected from
> each step of the process and a definition of what each process is.
> I'm looking to see what other companies are using?  Do you have a
> skeleton document for each process?  To what extent have you
> automated the process?

I am not able to offer any references to internal process issues at all.
However, I would recommend that you start with the IEEE standard for
a software process model.  If you are not a member of the IEEE, you probably
ought to join, and get a copy of the SW standards.

> Any references to books or FTP'able documents would be appreciated.
>
> Please mail all responses to me and I will summarize them.
>
> Rick Kimball  |  INTERNET: rick@kimbal.lynn.ma.us
>               |      UUCP: ...!spdcc!kimbal!rick, ...!spt!kimbal!rick
>               |      POTS: (617) 599-8864

GXKambic
standard disclaimer