[comp.software-eng] Metrics software

levy@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (David C Levy) (01/31/91)

Please tell me where I can get, by email or ftp, public domain
software for evaluating typical metrics such as McCabe and Halstead

Please reply to me directly

Thank you in anticipation

--
David C Levy               levy@bertha.ee.und.ac.za
Dept of Electronic Eng     m2xenix!quagga!levy%undeeb@uunet.uu.net
David C Levy               levy@bertha.ee.und.ac.za
Dept of Electronic Eng     m2xenix!quagga!levy%undeeb@uunet.uu.net
University of Natal        levy%bertha.ee.und.ac.za@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu
King George V Ave          levy.undeeb@f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org

mlo@cherry14.cray.com (Mick Oyer) (02/07/91)

I too, am interested in any public domain programs that produce McCabe's
and Halstead's numbers.  Any help is appreciated.
--
Mick Oyer             MAIL   :  mlo@cray.com  ||  uunet!cray!mlo
Sr. Software Analyst  AT&T   :	Work: (612)-683-5855

craig@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Stuart A Craig ) (02/08/91)

mlo@cherry14.cray.com (Mick Oyer) writes:

>I too, am interested in any public domain programs that produce McCabe's
>and Halstead's numbers.  Any help is appreciated.
>--
>Mick Oyer             MAIL   :  mlo@cray.com  ||  uunet!cray!mlo
>Sr. Software Analyst  AT&T   :	Work: (612)-683-5855
>Cray Research, Inc.   USNAIL :  655F Lone Oak Dr., Eagan, MN 55120

Count me in!

-Stuart Craig   (craig@phobos.cis.ksu.edu)

marick@cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Marick) (02/08/91)

mlo@cherry14.cray.com (Mick Oyer) writes:

>I too, am interested in any public domain programs that produce McCabe's
>and Halstead's numbers.  Any help is appreciated.

It would be easy to modify the GNU C compiler to produce McCabe's
number.  Halstead's numbers would be almost as easy.  ("Easy" means
less than a week, including testing and documentation.)

Brian Marick
Motorola @ University of Illinois
marick@cs.uiuc.edu, uiucdcs!marick

oman@med.cs.uidaho.edu (02/08/91)

In article <craig.665952716@phobos> craig@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Stuart A Craig ) writes:
>mlo@cherry14.cray.com (Mick Oyer) writes:
>

>>I too, am interested in any public domain programs that produce McCabe's
>>and Halstead's numbers.  Any help is appreciated.
>>--
>>Mick Oyer             MAIL   :  mlo@cray.com  ||  uunet!cray!mlo
>>Sr. Software Analyst  AT&T   :	Work: (612)-683-5855
>>Cray Research, Inc.   USNAIL :  655F Lone Oak Dr., Eagan, MN 55120
>
>Count me in!
>
>-Stuart Craig   (craig@phobos.cis.ksu.edu)

This is funny!  When I last talked with Warren Harrison he said his
shareware metric extractor did not attract any attention UNTIL he
went commercial.  His commercial product, PC-Metric, is selling like
hotcakes.  At that price it's virtually shareware anyway.

I recommend it.

Paul Oman, Univ. of Idaho.

hcalhoun@camdev.comm.mot.com (Herb Calhoun) (02/08/91)

some time last year a package that did Halstead and McCabe was posted to the
source groups.  It is probably available from the archives. (Maybe it was two
years ago.)  Anyway, if you can't find them there, I'll pull them off of my
archive and mail them to you. let me know.

herb
calhoun@mot.com

alan@tivoli.UUCP (Alan R. Weiss) (02/14/91)

In article <120243.16954@timbuk.cray.com> mlo@cray.com writes:

>I too, am interested in any public domain programs that produce McCabe's
>and Halstead's numbers.  Any help is appreciated.
>--
>Mick Oyer             MAIL   :  mlo@cray.com  ||  uunet!cray!mlo
>Sr. Software Analyst  AT&T   :	Work: (612)-683-5855
>Cray Research, Inc.   USNAIL :  655F Lone Oak Dr., Eagan, MN 55120

Count me in for public-domain, freeware, or shareware (no piracy,
please).  Another, commercial source is PC-METRIC, from smartnice
folks up in Oregon.  Can't remember their name offhand right now ....

... oh, just a minute.  I'll go get it
(sleep 10)

OK, I'm back.  SET Laboratories in Portland, Oregon.  The people there
also hold Symposiums and conferences on SQA metrics.  PC-Metric is
relatively inexpensive for DOS systems.  Don't know their Unix pricing
strategies.  The product measures Program Volume, Program Level,
and Cyclometric Complexity using a Software Science paradigm.

Alan R. Weiss                           TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
E-mail: alan@tivoli.com                 6034 West Courtyard Drive,
E-mail: alan@whitney.tivoli.com	        Suite 210
Voice : (512) 794-9070                  Austin, Texas USA  78730
Fax   : (512) 794-0623

"Quality is never an accident.  It is always the result of high intention,
sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution.  It represents
the wise choice of many alternatives."

puklich@plains.NoDak.edu (Blayne Puklich) (02/16/91)

alan@tivoli.UUCP (Alan R. Weiss) wrote in article Metrics software:
[text severely hacked out]
>In article <120243.16954@timbuk.cray.com> mlo@cray.com writes:
>>I too, am interested in any public domain programs that produce McCabe's
>>and Halstead's numbers.  Any help is appreciated.
>
>Count me in for public-domain, freeware, or shareware (no piracy,

I have a set of tools that do what you're asking for.  You can get them
using anonymous ftp to plains.nodak.edu (IP address 134.129.111.64).  I
have them in the directory pub/mac/pub in the file metrics.tar.Z.

Make sure to transfer them using binary ftp.

If anyone has problems with getting this file, please don't hesitate to
let me know.

Hope this helps.

Blayne Puklich          |  puklich@Plains.NoDak.EDU |  Thermal count is rising
Acting UNIX Consultant  |  ...!uunet!plains!puklich |  In perpetual writhing
NDSU UCCA               |                           |  The primordial ooze
SE 213D                 |  I THINK I'm going bald   |  And the sanity they lose
Fargo, ND 701-237-7584  |    -Rush, 1975            |    -MegaDeth, 1990