[net.micro] Wanted: info on what computer to buy

victor@wheaton (Victor Roetman) (04/23/86)

----------------- Eat this, line eater! ----------------------

     I have a Commodore 64 right now, and it is a nice computer and
has worked fine for years, but I feel I am ready for a new one.
Mainly, there are four things I want in a computer:

        1)   I would like to have 80 columns.  40 is just
	     a little bit too limited.

	2)   I need a decent word processor.  I just haven't
	     seen any good ones for my 64.

	3)   I would like a 1200 baud or greater modem.  For
	     my uses, 300 is usually too slow.

	4)   I would like more speed in my computer and disk
	     drive.  The 1541 is the slowest drive I have
	     ever seen.  Also, the 6510 is not the fastest
	     microprocessor, but it does suffice.

    Now, I have figured that the cheapest and most minimum way to go
is with the Commodore 128.  I can get a decent modem, Wordstar
(with the CP/M), 80 columns, and a better disk drive.  I can use
all the software I have now, and all the periphials I have now.
The only problem is that CP/M is going out and is no longer the
big thing.  There will not be too much more software written for
CP/M although there is a big data base out there already.  But I
really am not too happy with the Commodore series because
they are not too expandable.

     Another thing I could do is just forget a new computer and just
use the mainframes (or near main frames like this Micro Vax II) here
at our school (Wheaton College) because they have UNIX and all the
power I could really ever need.  I don't really like this idea
because I like having a micro around because it is mine and is
is personal (thus PC :-).  I also really like to play around with
sound and graphics because they are fun and give me something to do
on days when I have nothing else to do (which hasen't happened yet
this year :-).  Also, I can do the word processing in my room and not
have to walk to the computer lab.

     I am really considering the Amiga, Atari, or the Macintosh computers
because they are state of the art.  They also cost a lot of money.  I am
paying a lot for tuition here so money is an issue.  But if I cut corners,
I probably could afford one.  The Macintosh is already out and has lots
of software and is definitely a good machine, but it costs a lot and it
doesn't have color graphics and the sound of the Amiga or the Atari.
The Amiga sounds good, especially with the PC AT compatibility (which I
have not seen, so I do not know how good it really is or what not)
and its graphics, sound, dedicated hardware, and speed with the
68000.  The Atari also sounds good (a built in MIDI interface) although
I do not know as much about it as I do the Amiga.  The only problem with
these is that I do not know whether or not they are going to make it in
this market.  I know both Commodore and Atari are having trouble and these
two computers are their lives (probably).  If not many people buy these
computers, there will be no software out for them, and software definitely
makes the computer.  I do not want to get stuck with another Coleco
Adam.  However, if these two do make it, it would be good to catch them
at the beginning of their market so they will be good for years.  Like
CP/M, Apple II, Commodore 64, and even MS are seeing their last days,
I feel.

     There are two other options that I can see:  get a UNIX machine
like the AT&T computer, or wait and see what happens with the new
68020 chip computers.  Or I could get the Commodore 128 and then
use that until something else good comes out, but that would cost
me about $500.

     I have read nothing about this subject on this newsgroup or any other
so I would like anybody out there with their own ideas about anything I
have talked about to please speak up, either on the net so others can
read about it, or by private mail if you would like to do that instead.
I am really caught about what to do and I have been waiting for a year
now.  I almost got the 128 during Christmas break, but decided to wait,
but I would like to make a decision by the end of this summer.

     Thanks a lot to any of you who struggled through reading this
and especially to those of you who reply.

					Vic Roetman

	    UUCP:   ihnp4!wheaton!victor

kdale@BBNCC-EUR.arpa (Keith Dale) (04/28/86)

To Victor Roetman on the Usenet:

Wow.  Sounds like there are a few of us "out there" - people who recognize a
need to move on (up?), but can't make up their minds about WHICH ONE TO GET!

Okay, to respond to your message:  I think (someone *will* correct me if I'm
wrong) that the Commodore 128's C/PM is strictly proprietary - meaning that an
Apple II C/PM program won't necessarily run on the 128.  Or anyone else's C/PM
for that matter.

As to the choice between the Mac Plus, Amiga, and Atari - they all have their
good points.  The Mac has the largest software base, the Amiga has the best
graphics and sound synthesis (I'll probably get flamed for that) and the Atari
is the least expensive as well as very good with the graphics and sound.  As a
matter of fact, the 1040ST has an open socket for a future addition of a
graphics chip to take some of the load off of the 68000.

Put it this way: if someone handed me $2000 I'd go out and buy an Amiga "done
up right".  Since that's unlikely, I'll save my quarters and probably get a
1040ST this summer.  I'm not considering the Mac because I'm one of those low
life's that enjoys color too much.

Last point:  don't worry about whether the Atari or Amiga will make it or not.
No one can tell for sure which computer will still be here in a year and you'd
just be denying yourself valuable (and fun) time waiting to see.  I personally
think that they both have already made it and will be around for awhile.

Good luck deciding!

Keith

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (05/01/86)

In article <341@brl-smoke.ARPA> kdale@BBNCC-EUR.arpa (Keith Dale) writes:

>Okay, to respond to your message:  I think (someone *will* correct me if I'm
>wrong) that the Commodore 128's C/PM is strictly proprietary - meaning that an
>Apple II C/PM program won't necessarily run on the 128.  Or anyone else's C/PM
>for that matter.
>
>Keith

Well, you are *WRONG*!  The C128 CP/M mode is not proprietary - it has quite
a degree of compatibility with Kaypro CP/M, and will run almost all of the
'packaged' programs, as long as they include some kind of installation program
or feature for customizing terminal (screen) output.

Please check your facts before making assertions like this - rather than saying
somthing wrong and asking to be corrected...

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr