[comp.software-eng] List of CASE/CM Tools

rene@cadence.com (Rene Churchill; x6266) (02/12/91)

I keep seeing requests for list of CASE programs on this newgroup.
Here is a list of programs that I either used or looked over some
information about.  Take everything I say with a grain (or pound) of
salt, as I'm looking for something to meet my specific needs.  I need
something that runs on a large number of platforms and that's hard to
come by.  I've been too busy to pester the correct people in my
company to get some of this software in to evaluate, so many of these
opinions are just based on the propoganda that the salepeople have
sent me and other rumors I've heard about the specific programs.

These are mostly Configuration Management tools.  I'm in a group
with two other people and yelling over the cubicle walls does just
fine for us for what we need as far as project management goes.  Some
of the products like DSEE have tasklists, but I haven't looked into
these features.

Hope this helps.  Please let me know if I've missed anybody good.  I'm
still looking around for new programs.

        Rene

DSEE (pronounced dizzy) is put out by Apollo (now HP) and is an excellent
program that has excellent version control and does builds for the user.
These builds can be easily customized to a specific purpose and spread out
over several different machines simultaniously.  Excellent for large
development projects.  Problem:  Cannot be ported to other machines.
There were changes to the Apollo operating system just to support this
product.  Probably will never be ported to Unix.  I don't know their
main phone number, but their help line could get you in touch with
somebody.  (1-800-227-6556)

SCCS, Unix standard, ported to everything and it's brother.  Clumsy and
not suited to many users working on the same project.  I haven't worked
with it, just talked to others.  Many people place scripts around the
various SCCS commands to help the user.  I don't have the time.
(Overworked and underpaid  :-)

RCS, Updated version of SCCS from what I've heard.  Much better than
SCCS.  They both require a lot of scripts to make life easier on the
developer.  I don't have the time to create that many scripts.  It
does have most of features that I like in DSEE, however, they are
harder to use.  When I get the time to switch my project over, it
will probably be to this.  It's from Berkley I think, so it's cheap
and ported all over the place.

Softool Corp. sells a "Family of change and configuration control products"
The literature looks good.  This program does code control, builds, merging
and other items that look good for group projects.  It's also been ported
to DEC, IBM, Sun HP, Harris, and IBM PC computers.  Of the bunch, this is
the one I'm most itching to try out.  It's been around for a long
time, so it's a very mature product.

        Softool Corp.
        340 S. Kellogg Ave.
        Goleta, CA 93117
        (805) 683-5777

Imperial Software Technology Limited sells some CASE tools that do
builds and manage source code.  They are out of England, the
litereature is not that glossy, and the impression I got was of a
immature set of programs.  I also sent them a fax and email and have
yet to get a response.  (6+ months)

        Imperial Software Technology Ltd.
        95 London Street
        Reading RG1 4QA
        United Kingdom
        Phone: 0734-587055 (add England area code, don't remember what it is)
        Usenet: apg@ist.co.uk

Aide-de-Camp is another good looking product from it's literature.  Sounds
very mature and has many good feature mentioned above.  It has an interesting
idea about version control.  Rather than independant versions of each file,
it stores which groups of files change together.  A nice idea for tracking
wide spread changes.

        Software Maintenance & Development Systems, Inc.
        PO Box 555
        Concord, MA 01742
        (508) 369-7398

Procase is an interesting database for code control.  It creates a database
of all of your code and will display call graphs and other very fancy
functions.  However it's an immature product for all of it's bells and
whistles.  ie. It requires you to use it's editor, rather than vi or emacs.
It does have vi and emacs emulation modes, but it's damn hard to emulate
emacs.  Have them give you a demo.  It has a very impressive user interface,
just not enough flexibility for me.

        Procase
        210 Canegie Center, Suite 101
        Princeton, NJ 08540
        (609) 452-8848

I just recieved some literature from a company that does testing software.
The literature looks so-so.  I've got most of the functionality from a
bunch of scripts that I've written to run my regression tests.  However
they do have some screen saver functionality that would be useful for
testing graphics.

        Software Research, Inc.
        625 Third Street
        San Fransisco, CA 94107-1997

Another testing tool that's in the public domain is Btools, which is an
adaption of the Gnu C compiler to do branch testing.  I haven't finished
compiling it so I don't know how well it works.

        Brian Marick
        Department of Computer Science
        1304 West Springfield Avenue
        Urbana, Illinois  61801
        Email: marick@cs.uiuc.edu, uiucdcs!marick
        217-244-0263

--
 Rene' Churchill                     rene@cadence.com
 Cadence Design Systems

lubkin@apollo.HP.COM (David Lubkin) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb11.203849.29765@cadence.com> rene@cadence.com (Rene Churchill; x6266) writes:

>DSEE (pronounced dizzy) is put out by Apollo (now HP) and is an excellent
>program that has excellent version control and does builds for the user.
>These builds can be easily customized to a specific purpose and spread out
>over several different machines simultaniously.  Excellent for large
>development projects.  Problem:  Cannot be ported to other machines.
>There were changes to the Apollo operating system just to support this
>product.  Probably will never be ported to Unix.  I don't know their
>main phone number, but their help line could get you in touch with
>somebody.  (1-800-227-6556)

1.  Domain/OS was not modified to support DSEE.  DSEE does, however, take
    advantage of existing non-standard facilities in Domain/OS.

2.  Domain/OS *is* a UNIX operating system (passes SVVS, for example).

3.  DSEE *will* be available on non-Domain/OS operating systems.  It's not
    clear yet which OSs we will support, but it will certainly be available
    on HP's OSF offering.

-- David Lubkin
   DSEE Project
   Apollo Systems Division -- Hewlett-Packard

   lubkin@apollo.hp.com

alan@cwi.UUCP (Alan Wright ) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb11.203849.29765@cadence.com>, rene@cadence.com (Rene Churchill; x6266) writes:
> I keep seeing requests for list of CASE programs on this newgroup.
> Here is a list of programs that I either used or looked over some
> information about.  Take everything I say with a grain (or pound) of
> salt, as I'm looking for something to meet my specific needs.  I need
> something that runs on a large number of platforms and that's hard to
> come by.  I've been too busy to pester the correct people in my
> company to get some of this software in to evaluate, so many of these
> opinions are just based on the propoganda that the salepeople have
> sent me and other rumors I've heard about the specific programs.
>
> These are mostly Configuration Management tools.  I'm in a group
> with two other people and yelling over the cubicle walls does just
> fine for us for what we need as far as project management goes.  Some
> of the products like DSEE have tasklists, but I haven't looked into
> these features.

[ various product descriptions deleted ]

I think it is only fair to mention our product in this list as well.
Since I represent the vendor I won't bother everyone with a lengthy plug,
but just our standard brief description:

Amplify(R) Control from CaseWare(R), Inc.

Amplify Control is an interactive development environment which
emphasizes configuration management and tool integration. Amplify
provides both graphical and non-graphical user-interfaces which may be
modified or extended by the user. The graphical interfaces support
current standards such as Motif, Sunview, and OpenLook.  Amplify also
supports a variety of configuration management methodologies via its
flexible object-oriented data modeling capabilities. Use of Amplify
is not limited to software development and is not language specific.

For additional information please contact:

	Sales Department
	CaseWare, Inc.
	3530 Hyland Ave. #115
	Costa Mesa, CA 92626
	(714) 754 0308
	FAX: (714) 754 1568

	email: amplify@cwi.com
		   uunet!cwi.com!amplify

ash@public.BTR.COM (Ashvin P. Patel ash@btr.com) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Feb11.203849.29765@cadence.com> rene@cadence.com (Rene Churchill) writes:
>I keep seeing requests for list of CASE programs on this newgroup.
>Here is a list of programs that I either used or looked over some
>information about.................................
>These are mostly Configuration Management tools......

To update the list of CM products that people have posted, I would like to
post a description of TeamOne's offering, TeamNet. TeamNet is available from

TeamOne Systems Inc,
2700 Augustine Drive
Santa Clara
CA 95054

1-800-442-6650

or

sun!teamone!neal , teamone!neal@sun.com

TeamNet transparently manages software source and object code,
increases quality, and accelerates your product delivery schedule.
TeamNet software provides fully distributed configuration and version
management across heterogeneous development platforms using NFS. Much
of the complexity of this task is hidden to the users and the product
has been designed to meet the changing needs of today's concurrent
engineering marketplace.

TeamNet has a number of major competitive advantages over systems of this
kind.  Firstly TeamNet leverages and supports NFS clients on the network,
this means that TeamNet can be hosted on either a Sun or Solborne
workstations and can track changes to file transparently over the network.
Unlike other systems TeamNet can truly support heterogenous project
development. Other areas in which TeamNet has an advantage include, ease of
use, ease of installation and implementation into an organization,
performance and a degree of fault tolerance. TeamNet operates as a
transparent extension to the Unix file system. Users can now implement a
distributed configuration management solution on existing projects with no
change to existing tools, methodologies or data.

TeamNet's architecture provides the only enabling environment for concurrent
engineering where it is not necessary to encapsulate the software tools.
Traditional tool encapsulation, which is acknowledged to be a formidable
task for a user and a stumbling block to tool integration, requires many
hours of time to set up user supplied code to link tools to existing
frameworks and other types of design environments. Encapsulation also
requires extensive copying of data to and from work areas on the network. The
sophisticated interaction between TeamNet and the UNIX file system allows
the product to work efficiently with all tools and data with no encapsulation
or special modification needed of any tools.

TeamNet accelerates product development by the allowing engineers to work on
shared data concurrently while controlling and managing the change process. The
product automatically alerts engineers to potentailly conflicting changes so
that they cannot corrupt the work of other concurrent users. With TeamNet,
users can successfully track changes. They can also perform more complex
operations such as controlling and managing different configurations of data
to support both a variety of design alternatives and various stages in the
development process.

Engineers and managers can now use TeamNet to retrieve information on the
project in real-time. TeamNet tracks when a change is made, who made it
and the tool used to make the change. The underlying TeamNet distributed
object-oriented project repository is used to provide configuration management
for any data types, such as source code or schematic layouts, to maintain
configuration and version control, track projects, manage disk space, and
monitor other activities essential to the successful development and
maintenance of projects. A real-time audit trail is maintained to support
change management and to monitor compliance with defined engineering processes.

For more information on TeamNet's unique approach to the distributed
configuration management and parallel development, please contact TeamOne at
the above address.

TeamNet - TOTAL RECALL OF SYSTEM WIDE CHANGES - TRANSPARENTLY