[comp.software-eng] Software Engineering in the UNIX/C Environment

uhumptl@meaddata.com (Tim Humphrey) (03/06/91)

On Feb. 21, 1991 in reply to the question about "C Programming Stds/Procedure",
Don Miller from SUN talked about a book he just got:

Frakes, Williams B., Fox, Christopher J., and Nejmeh, Brian A., SOFTWARE
ENGINEERING IN THE UNIX/C ENVIRONMENT, Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1991.

In that book, the authors make reference to several useful utility program.
Some of these are on my Sun workstation, but many aren't.  Does any one
know where I can get these programs.

There is one, that I'm particularly interested: cscope. It's talked about
in chapter 7 around page 95.

--
Tim Humphrey
uhumptl@meaddata.com

brucec@phoebus.labs.tek.com (Bruce Cohen;;50-662;LP=A;) (03/07/91)

In article <3168@meaddata.meaddata.com> uhumptl@meaddata.com (Tim Humphrey) writes:

> In that book, the authors make reference to several useful utility program.
> Some of these are on my Sun workstation, but many aren't.  Does any one
> know where I can get these programs.
>
> There is one, that I'm particularly interested: cscope. It's talked about
> in chapter 7 around page 95.

CScope is available as part of the Programmer's Workbench from AT&T.  It's
relatively cheap, and you can get a source license and maintain it yourself
(I have that dubious honor here at Tektronix).  It can be modified to
understand some things about C++, but my considered opinion is that it just
isn't worth trying to make a class browser out of it.  It does a pretty
nice job with C though.
Speaker-to-managers, aka
Bruce Cohen, Computer Research Lab        email: brucec@tekcrl.labs.tek.com
Tektronix Laboratories, Tektronix, Inc.                phone: (503)627-5241
M/S 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR  97077

lowell@tc.fluke.COM (Lowell Skoog) (03/12/91)

In article <3168@meaddata.meaddata.com> uhumptl@meaddata.com (Tim Humphrey) writes:
>There is one, that I'm particularly interested: cscope.

I'm following up instead of replying directly to the previous poster,
because other readers may be interesting in cscope.  It is one of
those "How did I ever live without this" tools.  It comes from the
AT&T Toolchest.  I don't recall the price.  Here is the latest
information from my files:

    AT&T UNIX System Toolchest
    60 Columbia Turnpike
    Room 129B-B265
    Morristown, NJ 07962-1914
    201/829-8843
    tcadmin@pluto.att.com

There is also an on-line browser that you can use to read about
toolchest products.  All ordering is handled on-line.  The number is
201/522-6900.

Lowell Skoog  M/S 223B                             lowell@tc.fluke.COM
John Fluke Mfg. Co. Inc.        {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!lowell
P.O. Box 9090
Everett, WA, USA  98206-9090                            (206) 356-5283