[comp.software-eng] Source control

marick@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Marick) (03/03/91)

atang@ntmtv.UUCP (Adrian Tang) writes:

[Emacs and SCCS]

I wrote the following package when I worked for Gould, which placed it
in the public domain.  I believe a copy is in the Ohio State Elisp
archive.  If not, I'll mail copies to people.

> [From the INFO file]
> Setup
> *****
> Config is three things.  First, it is a generic version control
> interface.  Second, it is glue that hooks the generic interface to
> SCCS and RCS.  Third, it is support for gluing in other version
> control systems (which are typically wrappers around SCCS or RCS).

Brian Marick
Motorola @ University of Illinois
marick@cs.uiuc.edu, uiucdcs!marick

aj3u@plaid.ra.cs.virginia.edu (Asim Jalis) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar2.19454.964@m.cs.uiuc.edu> marick@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Marick) writes:
-   atang@ntmtv.UUCP (Adrian Tang) writes:
-
-   [Emacs and SCCS]
-
-   > *****
-   > Config is three things.  First, it is a generic version control
-   > interface.  Second, it is glue that hooks the generic interface to
-   > SCCS and RCS.  Third, it is support for gluing in other version
-   > control systems (which are typically wrappers around SCCS or RCS).
-
-   Brian Marick
-   Motorola @ University of Illinois
-   marick@cs.uiuc.edu, uiucdcs!marick
-

Could someone send me the address of the ftp-site at OSU that holds
this package?

Thanks.

Asim.

aj4u@holmes.acc.Virginia.EDU (Asim Jalis) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar2.19454.964@m.cs.uiuc.edu> marick@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Marick) writes:
>[Emacs and SCCS]
>
>I wrote the following package when I worked for Gould, which placed it
>in the public domain.  I believe a copy is in the Ohio State Elisp
>archive.  If not, I'll mail copies to people.
>
>> [From the INFO file]
>> Setup
>> *****
>> Config is three things.  First, it is a generic version control
>> interface.  Second, it is glue that hooks the generic interface to
>> SCCS and RCS.  Third, it is support for gluing in other version
>> control systems (which are typically wrappers around SCCS or RCS).

Could someone send me the address of the ftp-site at OSU that would
hold this package.

Thanks.

Asim.

vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) (03/13/91)

In article <5407@ntmtv.UUCP> atang@ntmtv.UUCP (Adrian Tang) writes:

   Our development group composed of 6 engineers would like to
   integrate EMACS with the SCCS utility.  We are developing on
   Sun Common LISP and our platform will be SPARC's.  We would like
   the interface to the SCCS utility to be as transparent as possible.
   For instance, it would be nice if checking in/out files would be as
   easy as invoking find-file/write-file.

I am catching up on this group so maybe an answer has already been
published.  Anyway, I wrote a package for SCCS that is very simple and
transparent to use.  I posted it about a year ago and other have
hacked it for use with RCS.

It preserves the current location in the file (as much as possible)
and works properly with parse-error.

I can email it or post it again if there is enough interest.

jv

________________

Here are the relevent functions and variables:

sccs-buffer
  Variable: Buffer name used for sccs command output
sccs-create		      C-c N
  Function: Put the current file into SCCS
sccs-delget		      C-c E
  Function: sccs delget command on current file, replacing this version in SCCS
sccs-do
  Function: Exec sccs COMMAND on FNAME, with optional REVISION and COMMENTS
sccs-edit		      C-c e
  Function: If the buffer is read only then do a `sccs edit' and re-read the buffer
sccs-get		      C-c g
  Function: Get the file from sccs, asking for a REVISION
sccs-info		      C-c i
  Function: Show SCCS info
sccs-prt		      C-c p
  Function: Show history for current file
________________

"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love."
			   Albert Einstein
 _____
 -----  jv@n1dxg.ampr.org {...sun!sunne ..uunet}!tegra!vail

gilley@ndl.ndl.com (Greg Gilley) (03/13/91)

In article <5407@ntmtv.UUCP> atang@ntmtv.UUCP (Adrian Tang) writes:

   Our development group composed of 6 engineers would like to
   integrate EMACS with the SCCS utility.  We are developing on
   Sun Common LISP and our platform will be SPARC's.  We would like
   the interface to the SCCS utility to be as transparent as possible.
   For instance, it would be nice if checking in/out files would be as
   easy as invoking find-file/write-file.

I just posted the file I use to gnu.emacs.sources.  It is a pretty
convenient mode where you use the read-only toggle (ctrl-q) to check
files out and when you save, it asks if you want to check it back
in.  I adapted it from rcs.el by James J. Elliott, but if you have
problems with sccs.el, please email me.

						Greg

  Greg Gilley
  gilley@ndl.COM   [Numerical Design Limited]