[comp.software-eng] test coverage and C++

tallot@atys.altair.fr (Didier Tallot) (03/15/91)

Does anyone know of tools (public domain or not) that construct test coverage
analysis and statement-by-statement profile for software?

The target programming language is C and C++.

Is there anything else that would allow people to do this?

--

Didier	Tallot
Gip-Altair/INRIA                                tallot@bdblues.altair.fr

cml@tove.cs.umd.edu (Christopher Lott) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar15.143155@atys.altair.fr> tallot@bdblues.altair.fr writes:
>Does anyone know of tools (public domain or not) that construct test coverage
>analysis and statement-by-statement profile for software?
>The target programming language is C and C++.

If you're using a UNIX-based c compiler, you probably have profiling
built into the compiler already.  Around here, the "-p" and "-pg" options
to cc do function profiling (4.3-tahoe).  On a sun, "-a" + the "tcov"
command may do what you want.

Many aftermarket products exist - testing is a well-studied, heavily marketed
domain for tools.  One testing newsletter that is here beside me is from
Software Research Inc, a California place.  415-957-1441 or 800-942-SOFT.
They sell test coverage tools.  I know really nothing more about them and
have no experience with the company.

chris...
--
Christopher Lott \/ Dept of Comp Sci, Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
  cml@cs.umd.edu /\ 4122 AV Williams Bldg  301.405.2721 <standard disclaimers>