[net.music] Adult music stores

black@pundit.DEC (DON BLACK DTN 261-2739 MS: NIO/N13 LOC: POLE C6) (09/03/85)

----------
>Anybody care to defend the PMRC???? (Mr. Black???)

     Yeah, guys, I guess I would like a comment or two.

     If the actions of the PMRC were ordered by the government, I would have
some stiff reservations about its actions.  But it is not a governmental entity.
It is a private organization formed by individuals who have a common cause.
As such, and since it is not apparently seeking legislation to support its
cause, its actions are protected by the principle of Freedom of Speech.  If
the recording studios do not wish to voluntarily meet the requests of PMRC,
they are not compelled to do so except under the pressure of the Marketplace.

     Like it or not, parents have the right to dictate to their minor children
about the content of music these children listen to.  Parents therefore have
the right to know the content of the music BEFORE it enters the house.  It
follows that either the recording studios supply the information, or else
they put up with any marketplace reactions that may result.

     Personally, I think most of these Rock Stars are sick puppies, but
that's just an opinion.  They do have First Amendment rights, also.
But I'm not required to purchase their products, either.

     --Don Black