[comp.software-eng] RCS

news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) (03/13/91)

Does anyone out there know if a version of RCS (Revision Control System)
is avaliable on any environments other than unix. In particular, I am
interested in obtaining versions for VMS, OS/2 and MS/DOS.

shallit@graceland.waterloo.edu (Jeffrey Shallit) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar13.012003.23272@massey.ac.nz> P.Anderson@massey.ac.nz writes:
>Does anyone out there know if a version of RCS (Revision Control System)
>is avaliable on any environments other than unix. In particular, I am
>interested in obtaining versions for VMS, OS/2 and MS/DOS.

I believe that Mortice Kern Systems in Waterloo, Ontario sells a version
of RCS for DOS.  You can call them at (519) 884-2251.

Jeff Shallit

eversole@acae037.cadence.com (Richard Eversole; x6239) (03/14/91)

RCS for MSDOS is available from Mortis Kern (?) I think.

Given the need for VMS, OS2, MSDOS:
	Try looking in PCVS from Polytron (Now Sage, I think)

    eversole@cadence.com

    Live long and prosper !

todd@toolz.uucp (Todd Merriman) (03/15/91)

news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) writes:
>Does anyone out there know if a version of RCS (Revision Control System)
>is avaliable on any environments other than unix. In particular, I am
>interested in obtaining versions for VMS, OS/2 and MS/DOS.

Unless you must have the same version control software on all
three platforms, I recommend using DEC's CMS for VMS.  CMS is
superior in every respect to both SCCS and RCS.

John_A_Steele@cup.portal.com (03/16/91)

Does anyone out there know if a version of RCS (Revision Control System)
is avaliable on any environments other than unix. In particular, I am
interested in obtaining versions for VMS, OS/2 and MS/DOS.

The Free Software Foundation has produced the GNU RCS.  We got it off a
local (bay area) bulletin board system.  It is currently working just great
under MS-DOS, and comes with full source code.  I don't know about a net
address, but you can contact them at the address below.

Free Software Foundation, Inc.
675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

P.S. It also comes with man pages and troff source...

hsrender@happy.colorado.edu (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar13.012003.23272@massey.ac.nz>, news@massey.ac.nz (USENET News System) writes:
> Does anyone out there know if a version of RCS (Revision Control System)
> is avaliable on any environments other than unix. In particular, I am
> interested in obtaining versions for VMS, OS/2 and MS/DOS.

Yes, there is a MS/DOS implementation.  Check the SIMTEL20 archives on either
wsmr-simtel20.army.mil or wuarchive.wustl.edu.  (This assumes you have
anonymous ftp; if you don't I'm not sure what you can do).

hal.

dmr2386@isc.rit.edu (D.M. Raynault ) (03/19/91)

	Hi,
	   I'm looking for some info on software and/or manuals for two
different computers:

	1.  an HP teminal 2647F, this HP has a 51/4" 13272A disk drive,

	2.  an Motorola EXORciser II microsystem, with an 8" disk drive,
printer, and EXORterm 155 terminal.

	I realize this is very old equipment but we have a bunch of
Engineering students that have nothing better to do than tring to get
these things working.

	Any and all info would be welcomed.

						David Raynault
						DMR2386@RITVAx

amk@rand.mel.cocam.oz.au (Adam Krebet) (03/25/91)

> Does anyone out there know if a version of RCS (Revision Control System)
> is avaliable on any environments other than unix. In particular, I am
> interested in obtaining versions for VMS, OS/2 and MS/DOS.

There is an AmigaDos port, available on from Fish disks.  The volume
number eludes me at the current time.

Adam Krebet                 |        amk@rand.mel.cocam.oz.au
Co-Cam Computer Group       | FAX:   (03) 412-7857
Melbourne, Australia        | Phone: (03) 412-3456

paulb@mlacus.oz (Paul Bandler) (03/26/91)

eversole@acae037.cadence.com (Richard Eversole; x6239) writes:

>RCS for MSDOS is available from Mortis Kern (?) I think.

>Given the need for VMS, OS2, MSDOS:
>	Try looking in PCVS from Polytron (Now Sage, I think)
>--

I've used PVCS under DOS and believe it to be a v. good product.  Main advantage
over RCS, SCCS etc being that it can be used to hold non-ascii files such as
WP files.

Am I right in thinking that RCS can't handle non-ASCII files?

Paul Bandler
ACUS - Australian Centre for Unisys Software

eggert@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) (03/26/91)

paulb@mlacus.oz (Paul Bandler) writes:

	Am I right in thinking that RCS can't handle non-ASCII files?

No.  RCS version 5 handles arbitrary binary data.