[comp.software-eng] Images vs. Text

grefen@sun14.cs.pitt.edu (Gregory Grefenstette) (04/02/91)

I'm doing work on hypertext visual interfaces and I
would like to be able to prove what seems evident to me,
that is,  that people can scan information presented
in a visual image-based form FASTER than in a plain
textual form.

But having little psych or human factors background,
I don't know of any references that I
could use,  or even where to begin looking.

Please send me some advice about sources for this
type of research

--Gregory Grefenstette

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (04/03/91)

In article <10292@pitt.UUCP> grefen@sun14.cs.pitt.edu (Gregory Grefenstette) writes:

>I'm doing work on hypertext visual interfaces and I
>would like to be able to prove what seems evident to me,
>that is,  that people can scan information presented
>in a visual image-based form FASTER than in a plain
>textual form.

I don't know if this is relevant to your inquiry, but Chinese speed readers
claim peak speeds about five times that of alphabetic readers.  The fastest
I heard from Chinese in soc.culture.china was 50,000 characters per minute
and for English 5,000 words a minute.  On the average a Chinese word
is two characters.
Chinese characters are more visual than alphabetic words.  However, alphabetic
speed readers see the whole word at time, rather the characters, so they can
claim to be reading icons too.  Chinese characters have the same horizontal
width in contrast to alphabetic words, so readers of the later may slow down
in predicting where the next word is.

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (04/03/91)

In article <10292@pitt.UUCP>, grefen@sun14.cs.pitt.edu (Gregory Grefenstette) writes:
|> I'm doing work on hypertext visual interfaces and I
|> would like to be able to prove what seems evident to me,
|> that is,  that people can scan information presented
|> in a visual image-based form FASTER than in a plain
|> textual form.

It depends on the type of information and the space allowed to display
the information.

For example, it's much slower for me to decipher a pallette of icons
that correspond to a set of operations than it is for me to decipher a
text menu in the same space.

--
...David Elliott
...dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

cl@lgc.com (Cameron Laird) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.162821.21318@leland.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) writes:
			.
			.
			.
>>that is,  that people can scan information presented
>>in a visual image-based form FASTER than in a plain
>>textual form.
>
>I don't know if this is relevant to your inquiry, but Chinese speed readers
>claim peak speeds about five times that of alphabetic readers.  The fastest
>I heard from Chinese in soc.culture.china was 50,000 characters per minute
>and for English 5,000 words a minute.  On the average a Chinese word
>is two characters.
>Chinese characters are more visual than alphabetic words.  However, alphabetic
>speed readers see the whole word at time, rather the characters, so they can
>claim to be reading icons too.  Chinese characters have the same horizontal
>width in contrast to alphabetic words, so readers of the later may slow down
>in predicting where the next word is.

Funny:  I just came across this claim for the first
time a couple of days ago, andin a completely dif-
ferent context.  What do professional linguists
say on the subject?  It surprised me a LOT when I
saw it, because rapid reading can only be of what
I'll call "internalized" tokens; if you're treating
them as icons, then you're doing time-consuming
cognitive processing.

Is the whole curve shifted?  Do "average" Chinese
and Japanese literates read five times as fast as
their Latin-alphabet counterparts?  Why hasn't this
come out in all the fuss about national models of
public-school education (that is, why hasn't it
come to my attention)?  This seems like a subject
that admits good, interesting experiments; have
they been done?
--

Cameron Laird				USA 713-579-4613
cl@lgc.com (cl%lgc.com@uunet.uu.net)	USA 713-996-8546

mcgregor@hemlock.Atherton.COM (Scott McGregor) (04/03/91)

Grefenstette) writes:

>I'm doing work on hypertext visual interfaces and I
>would like to be able to prove what seems evident to me,
>that is,  that people can scan information presented
>in a visual image-based form FASTER than in a plain
>textual form.

I think I understand what you mean, but how you state your
hypothesis probably oversimplifies a key point. Visual image
information has more degrees of freedom in conveying information
in a limited area of constant size, vs. text.  It is therefore
conceptually possible to convey more information in that limited
area using visual means than textual means.  One important
difference is that text is read sequentially, whereas a visual
image may be processed more holistically.  In this respect a
viewer may get the "big picture" faster than the reader, but
apprehending all the small visual specifics in detail might take as much
time as the reading the text.  But it might seem faster to the viewer
since they get some benefit sooner.  (For instance, looking at
a sales graph might quickly get across the general trend and
some notion of the variation from month to month, but finding the
exact amounts for each month in a graph could take as long or longer
than referring to a table).

The notion of greater degrees of freedom giving the *capability* for
greater information density is important because whether that capability
is turned into to a real difference is dependent upon the skill of the
visual designer.  A bad visual design may actually convey less information
or take longer to convey it than a textual representation. (E.g.
a graph of the %change in monthly growth of sales actually visually obsures
information about the absolute values of sales).   Obviously,
bad textual representations can  also obscure information, but it seems
that given present educational systems in the US, people have more
practice developing writing skills than visual design skills before
coming to the job market. So it is important in addressing the superiority
of visual presentation to textual to consider the backgrounds of the
producers.   This is one of the reasons why companies are often surprised
when they use "graphics, icons, windows..." in their designs but people
don't necessarily find them easy to use--often the people making the
selection of the "graphics, icons, and window" weren't trained visual
designers but just garden variety software developers.  Meanwhile, another
company with trained designers may make a big splash with their UI,
composed of the same graphics, icons and window primitives but arrayed in
a more thoughtful manner by experienced visual designers, (often even despite a
poorer underlying representation created by less skilled programmers).

An additional complication is that considerable information can be
apprehended not by explicit mention in the text, or visual display
but by a conventional reference to a body of widely known information.
This information can thus be elicited rather than directly conveyed, but the
effect on information density is effectively the same.  The CYC project
at MCC, and other investigations into natural language processing and
"common sense" reasoning are applicable here.  Much of this work is
specifically aimed at linguistic (typically textual) elucidation of
conventional wisdom  I am not aware of any similar studies of this effect
for visual information conventions though conventional use of
principles of composition, color theory, and contrast theory is widely
known and discussed in depth in Tufte.

> But having little psych or human factors background,
> I don't know of any references that I
> could use,  or even where to begin looking.

With little HCI background, you might want to start with some things
that are more accessible to the layman, such as Edward Tufte's book the
"Visual Display of Quantitative Information", or his other book, "Envisioning
Information". Don Norman's book, the "Psychology of Everyday Things", also has
some useful lay information on the cognitive limitation of human perception.
Another accessible and relevant book for the layman is "How to Lie with
Statistics".

The Tufte books are filled with useful references to more technical
references, and you may also find the various publications of
and conference proceedings sponsored by ACM SIGCHI society to be
of use to you.  A reference librarian should be able to help you
find any of these books or journals and to narrow your search to
particular domains of interest.  You might also find information on
this sort of thing in other related areas, such as statistics.  For
instance, I gave a paper on applying principles of graphic design
to the creation of business graphics was presented at a Statistical
Analysis System (SAS) Users Group International (aka SUGI) conference
many years ago. You might find other nuggets of information of this
sort in various proceedings of such conferences.  Again a refernce
librarian should be of help.

Scott McGregor
Atherton Technology

cash@convex.com (Peter Cash) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.180348.19733@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:

>In article <10292@pitt.UUCP>, grefen@sun14.cs.pitt.edu (Gregory Grefenstette) writes:
>|> I'm doing work on hypertext visual interfaces and I
>|> would like to be able to prove what seems evident to me,
>|> that is,  that people can scan information presented
>|> in a visual image-based form FASTER than in a plain
>|> textual form.

>It depends on the type of information and the space allowed to display
>the information.

>For example, it's much slower for me to decipher a pallette of icons
>that correspond to a set of operations than it is for me to decipher a
>text menu in the same space.

Yes, the claim that pictures are always better than words seems to be far
from self-evident to me. I suspect that there's more hypertext ideology
than science to this particular claim. That isn't to say that a picture in
the right place can't often make things much clearer than reams of text;
but it's silly to expect pictures to replace words in communicating complex
information. If that were the case, then we wouldn't have to wait for
hypertext to initiate this superior form of communication--if picture books
are better than books with words, then none of our books would have words
in them.

Even for describing simple tasks, words can be essential. The other day, I
tried to reload the stapler built into my Xerox machine.  Instead of
directions, I found a bunch of icons that were supposed to tell me how to
do it. I stood there for several minutes trying to figure these things out,
then gave up and walked to another xerox machine. A few words, like "press
here" would have been enormously helpful.

             |      Die Welt ist alles, was Zerfall ist.     |
Peter Cash   |       (apologies to Ludwig Wittgenstein)      |cash@convex.com

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Sneaky Sanj ;-) (04/03/91)

In article <10292@pitt.UUCP> grefen@sun14.cs.pitt.edu (Gregory Grefenstette) writes:

>I'm doing work on hypertext visual interfaces and I
>would like to be able to prove what seems evident to me,
>that is,  that people can scan information presented
>in a visual image-based form FASTER than in a plain
>textual form.

Yes, this makes sense. I can process an image IN PARALLEL. I can see a
picture of a horse and immediately I know it is a horse.

Reading is done in serial, stimulus -> eye -> iconic mem -> short term
-> cognitive processing <=> long term. See, in order to make sense
of the word "horse" involves accessing letters, phonemes, AND THEN
stored images. You can remove some chunks of overhead by using an
image.

That's why people love Macs!! and some of us like Windows too. ;-)

To sum up, reading is comparable to doing floating point in software,
while images is like using an FPU; it exploits hardware we already have.

But text is better in that it is more semantically concentrated, ie. horse
is five bytes, but a gif of a horse could be 50 000 or more. But you
said you wanted throughput...

>But having little psych or human factors background,
>I don't know of any references that I
>could use,  or even where to begin looking.

Try sci.psychology.

>Please send me some advice about sources for this
>type of research

And post a summary of your replies...

>--Gregory Grefenstette

Ice sez "Sanjay Singh is dead..."

--
"No one had the guts... until now!"
$anjay $ingh     Fire & "Ice"     ssingh@watserv1.[u]waterloo.{edu|cdn}/[ca]

thom@garnet.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (04/03/91)

Nothing is worse for understanding a complex issue than the issue described in
terms of icons or pictures only.

Nothing is worse for understanding a complex issue than the issue described in
terms of words only.

But pictures and words? and maybe sound? Now that can convey meaning. TV,
Movies, most good magazines and books, spreadsheets with labels, everything
written by E.R. Tufte.

We aren't talking research here, we are talking common sense -- I realize that
sort of approach is considered antathama sit in some circles but it does save a
lot of time. Check out most of what Roger N. Shepard , Arnheim, McKim, DuChamp,
etc have to say. It's all there. Might also check out Aaron's Code and consider the difference between a meaning generator and a meaning communicator. It's the
difference between falling asleep in class and staying awake.

--Thom Gillespie

eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr3.031013.27762@watserv1.waterloo.edu>
ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Sneaky Sanj ;-) writes:
>That's why people love Macs!!

Actually, I think there are systems better than Macs.  Unfortunately,
the systems which inspired Macs aren't available outside of Xerox
like Tioga.

>Try sci.psychology.

Oh.....  Not very good, too much noise. comp.cog-eng is bettter.

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  Resident Cynic, Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene

cash@convex.com (Peter Cash) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr3.031013.27762@watserv1.waterloo.edu> ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Sneaky Sanj ;-) writes:
>In article <10292@pitt.UUCP> grefen@sun14.cs.pitt.edu (Gregory Grefenstette) writes:
>>
>>I'm doing work on hypertext visual interfaces and I
>>would like to be able to prove what seems evident to me,
>>that is,  that people can scan information presented
>>in a visual image-based form FASTER than in a plain
>>textual form.
>
>Yes, this makes sense. I can process an image IN PARALLEL. I can see a
>picture of a horse and immediately I know it is a horse.

Yes, and that's very nice. But what does the picture _mean_? "Rent your
horse here"? "Horse crossing"? "Don't forget to feed the horse"? "The horse
is a large quadruped ruminant mammal"? "Horses were not indigenous to North
America, but were imported by the Conquistadores"?

ck@voa3.VOA.GOV (Chris Kern) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.055318.16045@nas.nasa.gov> eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov
(Eugene N. Miya) writes:
>Actually, I think there are systems better than Macs.  Unfortunately,
>the systems which inspired Macs aren't available outside of Xerox
>like Tioga.

Not true.  I'm writing this on a Xerox 6085, which is a direct descendant
of the Xerox Star, which is a direct descendant of the Xerox Alto.  The
environment has also been ported to SunOS.  The Star, the 6085 and the
software for SunOS all were or are sold by Xerox; I don't think they ever
sold the Alto, although a few of them made their way outside the company.

(I believe it was the Star that inspired the Macintosh.)

--
Chris Kern     ck@voa3.voa.gov     ...uunet!voa3!ck     +1 202-619-2020

jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter) (04/04/91)

>Even for describing simple tasks, words can be essential. The other day, I
>tried to reload the stapler built into my Xerox machine.  Instead of
>directions, I found a bunch of icons that were supposed to tell me how to
>do it. I stood there for several minutes trying to figure these things out,
>then gave up and walked to another xerox machine. A few words, like "press
>here" would have been enormously helpful.

Indeed! I have stared in frustration at the little ikons on the tags on
clothing trying to figure out what temperature to use, whether to use
bleach, etc. The little ikons are no help at best and downright misleading
at worst. One could claim that this was just a lousy job of ikonography,
but I ASSUME that some international standards committee agreed on them,
so they must have thought they did a good job.

I think companies like to use ikons on labels not because they work
better than words but because it "solves" the multilingual marketing
problem.
--
***** DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are my own, except in
      the realm of software engineering, in which case I've borrowed

raveling@Unify.com (Paul Raveling) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.180348.19733@smsc.sony.com>, dce@smsc.sony.com
(David Elliott) writes:

	[about speed of info transfer for images versus text]

> It depends on the type of information and the space allowed to
display
> the information.
>
> For example, it's much slower for me to decipher a pallette of icons
> that correspond to a set of operations than it is for me to decipher
> text menu in the same space.

	In some current product design I've been incorporating text
	labels IN icons, and think this provides the best of both.

	Probably the biggest problem with icons is that they can be
	ambiguous, not giving new users/viewers a sufficient cue to
	have a good sense of which meaning the REALLY want to confer.
	Adding a bit of text solves this, and provides a natural way
	for people to begin associating the icon with the corresponding
	concept.

	Another advantage is that the image supports the text.  It's
	often possible to use image info to allow using terser text
	than would be needed if using ONLY text.

------------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@Unify.com

mcgregor@hemlock.Atherton.COM (Scott McGregor) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr03.152708.147@convex.com>, cash@convex.com (Peter
Cash) writes:

>Yes, and that's very nice. But what does the picture _mean_? "Rent your
>horse here"? "Horse crossing"? "Don't forget to feed the horse"? "The horse
>is a large quadruped ruminant mammal"? "Horses were not indigenous to North
>America, but were imported by the Conquistadores"?

I don't understand how this is *necessarily* different between an image vs.
a textual representation. This is not a matter of semantics, but of
pragmatics.  An image of a horse and the textual string "horse"  have
precisely the same semantics (*mean* the same thing), but the question of
how the image or text is intended to be used is dependent upon the speaker's
intent, the context of the conversation, and other situational aspects
most often analyzed using "speech act" linguistic theory. Peter's
apology to Wittgenstein belies an awareness of this point. So, I can't see
how the representational form (picture vs. text) matters unless  Peter is
making a specific claim about the context in which the communication
takes place, and is saying that a textual representation would have a
conventional usage in that context, and that a pictorial representation
not being conventionally used that way would therefore be confusing.
If so, I do not agree that it is inherently more likely that text would be
more conventional.  A picture of a horse on a yellow diamond on a roadway is
more conventionally used to mean "horse crossing" than the text string
"horse" alone on a sign in that situation.  Whether a picture or a
text string is less ambiguous due to its conventional use in a  given
situation can go either way.

Or does Peter claim that people would conventionally attempt to give more
semantic meaning (i.e. give a whole sentance) with text than they bother
to in general with pictures.  I might agree, because picture production
is often more time consuming, and *semantically* equivalent text often
consumes less space.  I am curious to understand if others assume the former
interpretation or the latter.

To get back to the original question about the superiority of
pictures over text, let me note that while I am sure Peter had an intent
to convey his position on this issue through his text, it wasnt'
perceived by me.
This does not at all mean that a graphic rendition would have improved
the matter (i.e. graphics is not superior for all situations), but demonstrates
that precise communication in both forms is troublesome even by skilled
practitioners.  Moreover, in evaluating the superiority or inferiority
of a particular form, it is important to consider the "pragmatics" aspects
of the situation such as existing conventions, the likelihood of skillful
creation (by the sender) and interpretation (by the recipients), as well
as the likely costs of incomplete or incorrect interpretation.

Scott McGregor

bks@violet.berkeley.edu (Brad Sherman) (04/05/91)

Check out the HCI literature or read the ACM SIGCHI conferences proceedings.
Almost all text, very few images.  Perhaps the implication is to do as they
say, not as they do.
------------------
	Brad Sherman (bks@alfa.berkeley.edu)
If you want to sell a horse, hang up a sign that says "horse for sale."

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (04/05/91)

Peter> In article <1991Apr3.031013.27762@watserv1.waterloo.edu>
Peter> ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Sneaky Sanj ;-) writes:

Sneaky> Yes, this makes sense. I can process an image IN PARALLEL. I can see a
Sneaky> picture of a horse and immediately I know it is a horse.

Peter> Yes, and that's very nice. But what does the picture _mean_? "Rent your
Peter> horse here"? "Horse crossing"? "Don't forget to feed the horse"? "The
Peter> horse is a large quadruped ruminant mammal"? "Horses were not
Peter> indigenous to North America, but were imported by the Conquistadores"?

Of course this depends on the representation of the horse in the picture and
the context around the picture.  For instance:

1. A picture of horses near barn next to another picture of a map representing
where the barn is.  (I'm sure something could be arrived at to represent
"rent".)

2. A picture of a sign with a horse over an X.

3. A picture of a person providing food for a horse.

4. This one shows the problem with language because I don't have any context
for the word "ruminant" (I didn't look it up).  I think an intelligently
designed picture would convey the meaning to me.

5. Picture of world showing horses moving from Spain to North America.

If you think about it, pictures can be as much of a language as text.
Therefore, the same requirements are on those pictures as are on textual
language.  That is, you will only understand them if you have the context in
which they are being applied (current surroundings and previous experience).
Man has had a few thousands years of previous experience to "fine tune"
textual language whereas the idea of using pictures is relatively new and, so,
doesn't have that refinement.  Trying to understand picture (or video!)
language can be as much of a problem as trying to read (say) Chinese when
you've only learned English unless the pictures (or videos!) has been
intelligently designed to play upon universal ideas.

Hypermedia systems should not focus on one type of medium (pictures in this
case), but rather merge as many different mediums as possible.  This will
provide much more surroundings by which people can make the connection to
previous experience.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

jpenny@ms.uky.edu (Jim Penny) (04/05/91)

cash@convex.com (Peter Cash) writes:

>In article <10292@pitt.UUCP>, grefen@sun14.cs.pitt.edu (Gregory Grefenstette) writes:
>|> I'm doing work on hypertext visual interfaces and I
>|> would like to be able to prove what seems evident to me,
>|> that is,  that people can scan information presented
>|> in a visual image-based form FASTER than in a plain
>|> textual form.

>>For example, it's much slower for me to decipher a pallette of icons
>>that correspond to a set of operations than it is for me to decipher a
>>text menu in the same space.

I would like to see you assign an icon for the operation of
"compute the Delauney triangulation" or "apply duality map D"
or "compute the Symmetric difference" or ...

The assertion is just plain silly, as it amounts to the assertion that
rebuses or pictograms are easier to understand than alphabetic languages.
There is at least two thousand years of history which points the other
way.

However, there are situations in which people have notorious difficulty
understanding information presented textually; qualitative information
is foremost amoung these.  Here a graphic display can be very helpful.

Realize that people may be able to find pictures which they are
very accustomed to faster than they are able to read the corresponding
words in a box, but the words in a box approach is immensely more
flexible and is more robust when novel concepts must be communicated.

Jim Penny

gerety@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Colin Gerety) (04/05/91)

>> I'm doing work on hypertext visual interfaces and I
>>would like to be able to prove what seems evident to me,
>>that is,  that people can scan information presented
>>in a visual image-based form FASTER than in a plain
>>textual form.
>
>Yes, this makes sense. I can process an image IN PARALLEL. I can see a
>picture of a horse and immediately I know it is a horse.

  Both text and images are processed through the visual system.  See
the work of Ann Treisman for confirmation that some visual information
is processed in parallel and some serially and for examples of each
type.

Colin Gerety
gerety@hpfclp.sde.hp.com

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (04/05/91)

In article <jpenny.670789735@s.ms.uky.edu> jpenny@ms.uky.edu (Jim Penny) writes:
>Realize that people may be able to find pictures which they are
>very accustomed to faster than they are able to read the corresponding
>words in a box, but the words in a box approach is immensely more
>flexible and is more robust when novel concepts must be communicated.

I believe this depends more on the type of concept rather than its
novelty or complexity.  People most often think in some verbal language,
usually the language they learned in childhood.  This is not always true,
however.  In specific situations, people may think in graphics or mathematics.
(Of course, the ability to think in these terms may vary dramatically from
one person to another -- not everyone is a daVinci or an Einstein -- and
given the quality of public educatin system today, I would not be surprised
to find that most Americans cannot think mathematically at all.)

The ideal interface, I think, would minimize the amount of translation
that the viewer has to do.  To go back to the previous example of the
horse, if the ideas that you wish to convey concern the gross anatomy
of the horse, then a single picture may be preferable to any amount of
description.  The reason being that the user reading the description
would attempt to build up an internal picture of the horse anyway.
Similiarly, if mathematical equations are described in verbal terms,
a translation step is involved.  Expressing mathematical or vebal
concepts in graphic terms also involves a translation step.  Unless
the concepts are very simple and the translation obvious, this step
can be time-consuming and prone to error.  That's why icons in well-
designed computer programs are generally limited to representing simple
concepts with clear analogies to real-world objects.  A good example is
the paint brush and other tools in a paint program: because they look like
real-world tools, they create the illusion that the user is selecting a
physical tool when he picks one of them.  The underlying complexity of
the code that implements the tool is hidden from the user.  But if the
software implemented a more complex function without an obvious real-
world analogy -- let's say, an 8-by-8 Gaussian convolution -- an iconic
representation would be a poor choice.

xiaoy@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO Yan) (04/05/91)

In article <jpenny.670789735@s.ms.uky.edu> jpenny@ms.uky.edu (Jim Penny) writes:
	(Lines deleted...)
>I would like to see you assign an icon for the operation of
>"compute the Delauney triangulation" or "apply duality map D"
>or "compute the Symmetric difference" or ...
>
>The assertion is just plain silly, as it amounts to the assertion that
>rebuses or pictograms are easier to understand than alphabetic languages.
>There is at least two thousand years of history which points the other
>way.

	Ever learnt a language Called Chinese which doesn't use alphabetic
	letters?

>However, there are situations in which people have notorious difficulty
>understanding information presented textually; qualitative information
>is foremost amoung these.  Here a graphic display can be very helpful.
>
>Realize that people may be able to find pictures which they are
>very accustomed to faster than they are able to read the corresponding
>words in a box, but the words in a box approach is immensely more
>flexible and is more robust when novel concepts must be communicated.
>
>Jim Penny

	Damn right.  Now when I return home, I don't look up street name
 	and number anymore.

-YX

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (04/05/91)

I think one area in which pictures win out over prose is in describing
relationships. I know that I am always running to a markerboard to draw
diagrams to explain things. Everything ranging from how a filesystem is
laid out or how a network is laid out to where mammals fall in the biological
hierarchy. Imagine electronic circuits described in words!

As another example, I am now taking a class in modal logic. We are always
drawing diagrams of possible worlds to help our understanding. Words alone
certainly don't hack it. (Although ideographs alone wouldn't hack it
either.)

Of course, things are often labelled by words in diagrams; they are not
totally pictorial. But the words are connected with lines, placed inside
different shapes and beside icons, even written in different fonts, etc..

And often we compress out unnecessary information by using pictures only.
For example, if I am describing a network, I might draw two or three
nodes on the network that are unlabeled, but whose shape tells you that they
are PCs. They are not labelled, because they only represent the fact that
there are lots of PCs hooked up. On the other hand, major nodes are labelled
with names. I believe that diagrams and pictures have this power to indicate
presence and at the same time anonymity, which allows you to focus
more clearly on the big picture.

As for palettes of words beating palettes of icons, it depends on the task.
I know that in a drawing program, I find icons to be much more descriptive
of the drawing tools than words would be. For example, in FreeHand, what would
CONNECTOR mean? If you look at its icon, you see that it creates a point that
joins a curving line segment and a straight line segment. And what does LINE
mean, as opposed to STRAIGHT LINE or FREEHAND LINE?

Also, once you have an icon, adding information to it is often very easy.
For example, in FreeHand the tools draw shapes, by default, from corner to
corner. If you enable an option to draw from the center, the icons change
so that there is an x in the center of the shape. Without taking any more
room, you have more information, and I think it is more intuitive than words
would be.

As another example, wordprocessors often have little icons that show little
lines that are left-justified (ragged right), right-justified (ragged left),
centered, and fully justified. I think these are clearer than words by a long
shot.

In this example, icons also eliminate problems with terminology. For
example, what I call right-justified (meaning ragged left), other people
use to mean fully-justified, with an implicit [left- and] right-justified.
Similarly in drawing programs where FREEHAND LINE might mean lines that
aren't necessarily straight to me, but straight lines at any angle to you.
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

alan@tivoli.UUCP (Alan R. Weiss) (04/06/91)

In article <10292@pitt.UUCP> grefen@sun14.cs.pitt.edu (Gregory Grefenstette) writes:

>I'm doing work on hypertext visual interfaces and I
>would like to be able to prove what seems evident to me,
>that is,  that people can scan information presented
>in a visual image-based form FASTER than in a plain
>textual form.
>
>But having little psych or human factors background,
>I don't know of any references that I
>could use,  or even where to begin looking.
>
>Please send me some advice about sources for this
>type of research
>
>--Gregory Grefenstette

Better yet, post it to the net.  I would also be interested in
intelligent discourse on the subject.

Alan R. Weiss                           TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
E-mail: alan@tivoli.com                 6034 West Courtyard Drive,
E-mail: alan@whitney.tivoli.com	        Suite 210
Voice : (512) 794-9070                  Austin, Texas USA  78730
Fax   : (512) 794-0623

jpenny@ms.uky.edu (Jim Penny) (04/06/91)

xiaoy@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO  Yan) writes:

>In article <jpenny.670789735@s.ms.uky.edu> jpenny@ms.uky.edu (Jim Penny) writes:
>	(Lines deleted...)
>>The assertion is just plain silly, as it amounts to the assertion that
>>rebuses or pictograms are easier to understand than alphabetic languages.
>>There is at least two thousand years of history which points the other
>>way.
>
>	Ever learnt a language Called Chinese which doesn't use alphabetic
>	letters?

Of course there are two living counter-examples, Chinese which is
not character oriented, but neither is it especially pictogram oriented
either (most characters have long ago lost any pictorial content).

A second partial example is Japanese which uses kanji,
as well as katakana, hiragana, and romanji.  This is not to be insulting
to Japanese tradition, but it is almost incomprehensible that a
people would insist on writing primarily in a foreign language.
It is as if all Europeans still wrote only in church Latin.

Other examples of pictogram languages are classical Mayan, old
Egyptian. I am sure there are others.

An example of a neither alphabetic nor pictographic writing is
the cuneiform system of Sumeria.

Nevertheless, a good case can be made that alphabetic or syllabic
writing systems are superior to non-alphabetic systems.
First, I know of no culture that willing converted from an
alphabetic representation to a pictographic one.  Second,
there are many cultures that have partially or completly changed
from pictographic to alphabetic representations, these include
Korea (partially), and Vietnam.  Other cultures have converted from
complicated alphabets to simpler alphabets (e.g. Turkey).  In every
case, there is anecdotal evidence that it is easier to teach
illiterate members of the culture to read and write using an alphabet
than the previous system.

None of the above should be taken as support for traditional
English spelling.  It is an atrocious system, and I would like to see
it reformed.  It is also true that adult literate readers of
alpahabetic languages do not read a character at a time, but rather
process far larger chunks.

For defenders of the Chinese writing system  I have three questions:
1) how many characters are in use today in written Chinese?
2) how many characters were in use 1000 years ago in written Chines?
3) If Chinese writing is inherently simpler than an alphabetic systems,
how is this trend to be explained?

In any event, this is a detour from the original writer who claimed
that people could invariably process pictures faster than text:

1) It is not clear that Chinese characters are pictures in the sense the
original poster intended.  If they are considered to be pictures,
then it is not clear that a word written in an alphabetic language
is not a picture.
2) If pictures are inherently superior, consider the following series
of questions:
	a) I will select at random a word from the dictionary:
	you may draw as many pictures as you would like, but no letters,
	to convey that word to a third party.  Will this be easy?
	b) I will select at random a word from the dictionary;
	you may draw as many letters as you want to convey the word to
	a third party.   Will this be easy?
	c) Which of scenerios a and b are a parlor game?
3)  What does the following picture mean?

    _         _
   / \       / \
  /   \     /   \
       \   /     \   /
	\_/       \_/
 ----------------------

 (hint: it is seen in my kitchen)

 It appears on my dishwasher, and means heat dry!

jwtlai@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim W Lai) (04/06/91)

In article <jpenny.670886764@s.ms.uky.edu> jpenny@ms.uky.edu (Jim Penny) writes:
>xiaoy@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO  Yan) writes:
>>	Ever learnt a language Called Chinese which doesn't use alphabetic
>>	letters?
>
>Of course there are two living counter-examples, Chinese which is
>not character oriented, but neither is it especially pictogram oriented
>either (most characters have long ago lost any pictorial content).
>
>A second partial example is Japanese which uses kanji,
>as well as katakana, hiragana, and romanji.  This is not to be insulting
>to Japanese tradition, but it is almost incomprehensible that a
>people would insist on writing primarily in a foreign language.
>It is as if all Europeans still wrote only in church Latin.

Before the introduction of Chinese characters, Japan had no native written
language of note.  This formed kanji.  (Katakana and hiragana are phonetic
alphabets.)  Is it any surprise the Japanese still use kanji when writers
of English use an alphabet which is very similar to the Roman alphabet?
The smallest decomposable parts in the two systems have not changed a
great deal.

>For defenders of the Chinese writing system  I have three questions:
>1) how many characters are in use today in written Chinese?
>2) how many characters were in use 1000 years ago in written Chines?
>3) If Chinese writing is inherently simpler than an alphabetic systems,
>how is this trend to be explained?

Question 3 implies the existence of a trend (presumably an increase).
I fail to see what the number of ideograms has on the simplicity of a
system.  Would using Morse code instead of the normal alphabet make
things simpler, as there are only four letters in such a system
(dot, dash, pause, long pause)?

My point is that if we are to judge cognitive performance, we need a
metric.  "Simpler" and "more intuitive" are ill-defined terms to begin
with.

thom@garnet.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (04/06/91)

Ok Jim,

what does this picture mean

		and

[hint: it was somewhere in your last posting]

Next time you include a picture from your kitchen please include the context
... or at least the dryer.

--Thom Gillespie

mcgregor@hemlock.Atherton.COM (Scott McGregor) (04/06/91)

Penny) writes:
> people would insist on writing primarily in a foreign language.
> It is as if all Europeans still wrote only in church Latin.

No, Japanese use only  an icon set from China, not a foreign language.
Many Europeans still write with the *Latin* character set.  Others
use a Greek character set or a mixture of the two.  The Russians aren't using
foreign languages when they use Cyrillic, but they are traditional ways
of making marks which were introduced with other languages.  The same is
true for
Japanese iconography.

> First, I know of no culture that willing converted from an
>alphabetic representation to a pictographic one.
The accepted form for writing has often changed with the conquerors
preferences.  In the indian penisula and in Africa, there are places
where writing styles have changed multiple times.  The examples
given  below are merely selected from more recent history when
European cultures impressed themselves upon Asian cultures.

>  Second,
>there are many cultures that have partially or completly changed
>from pictographic to alphabetic representations, these include
>Korea (partially), and Vietnam.

> For defenders of the Chinese writing system  I have three questions:
> 1) how many characters are in use today in written Chinese?
> 2) how many characters were in use 1000 years ago in written Chines?
> 3) If Chinese writing is inherently simpler than an alphabetic systems,
> how is this trend to be explained?

In general the number of words has expanded over time, if for no other
reason than due to new inventions.  New words often derive from compounding
of old forms, from metaphors, and other forms of catecresis.  Since
Chinese words often map to a single icon, it should not be surprising
that more Chinese icons are in existance today.  Nor should it be
surprising that in common english typography, accents, and other
diacritical marks not typical in earlier english typography are now
more frequently used due to adoption of words from other languages
which do use them frequently.

> 1) It is not clear that Chinese characters are pictures in the sense the
> original poster intended.  If they are considered to be pictures,
> then it is not clear that a word written in an alphabetic language
> is not a picture.

Very true.  I agree with most of the other comments (excised above)
that stated that pictograph languages were not inherently easier to
teach or use.

> 2) If pictures are inherently superior, consider the following series
> of questions:
> 	a) I will select at random a word from the dictionary:
> 	you may draw as many pictures as you would like, but no letters,
> 	to convey that word to a third party.  Will this be easy?
> 	b) I will select at random a word from the dictionary;
> 	you may draw as many letters as you want to convey the word to
> 	a third party.   Will this be easy?

This is not the antithesis of a.  A more correct antithesis is I show
you a picture, choose one word and see if the listener draws the same
picture I showed you.  This is also a parlor game, though not one
played very often any more, largely because of arguments concerning
whether the drawings are identical enough.  This says something about
both skills in drawing vs. recognizing pictures, and also about precision
of identity in pictures vs. words.

	c) Which of scenerios a and b are a parlor game?

As I pointed out above, some of the parlor game aspect has to do with
average people's (in)abilities to draw well quickly.  Consider also that
many people play a variant of dictionary in which a word is chosen, and
everyone writes a definition. The word selector reads all the definitions,
including the one from the dictionary, and people have to guess which
one actually came from the dictionary.  Note that this is essentially
a strictly verbal game (neither alphabetic nor pictographic) but challenging
nontheless.  Which brings us to the final point: Neither pictures nor
verbal (neither oral nor textual) processing can be held to be superior in
all cases.  Rather the most superior selection is a function of the
skills of the sender of the communication, the skills of the receivers
of the communication, and the conventional means for communicating the
chosen subject matter in the chosen medium, place and time.

Now, on a related topic,

P.T Cox and T. Pietzykowski wrote in Proeedings International Computer
Science Conference, 1988, pp 695-704, Using a Pictorial Representation
to Combine Dataglow and Object Orientation in a Language Independent
Programming Mechanism.

"The standard textual representation of programming languages has many
shorcomings, such as the abstract syntax inherited from Indo-European
languages, enforced sequentiality, the necessity for variables, and the
confusion between logical and mnemonic information... The use of a
pictorial representaion for programming is proposed as a means for
overcoming all of these shortcomings, incorporating the powerful
features of AI languages and removing the bias towards Indo-European
languages, making programming equallly accessible to users whose natural
language relies on ideograms, such as Chinese...

" The proliferation of microcomputers in the last decade has highlighted
an important problem in the production of software, a problem  normally
referred to  as "Chineese computing".  Existing Algol-like programming
languages, for long time the primary tool of software development, are
intimately connected with the linguistic roots of Indo-European
languages, based on a small symbolic alphabet and intricate syntax using
punctuation symbols.  Such languages are alien to programmers whose
natural languages are rooted in the Chinese ideographic language
paradigm. Lisp and Prolog rely less heavily on the  syntactic
conventions of Indo_European langauges, however, they do rely
fundamentally on the concept of "variable", a meaninglyess symbol that
represents some unknown  object.  Languages based on ideograms can
express only meaningful concepts, so variables are unnatural in such
langaugaes...

"...[A] pictorial formalism...[is defined which] completely avoid[s]
variables and the symbolic syntax inherited from Indo-European
languages.  The result is a powerful universal programming language
which is equally accessible to users from all linguistic backgrounds...

"The greatest shortcoming of all text based programming languages... are
variables.Variables used to represent data in programming languages
originated from logic, shich again stems from Indo-European languages.
The special property of a vairable is that it is a symbol used to
represent some unknown object.  This concept is most natural in
languages in which new entities can be constructed from smaller
meaningless symbols (alphabet) that impose no meaning on the new entity.
 By contrast, languages based on ideograms can express only meaninglful
concepts, so it is impossible to introduce a new sumbol that represents
some unkonwn object.  The existence of variables therefore make
programming languages much less intuitive for those whose natural
languages is ideographic such as Chinese, Japanese and Korean."

<End of quote>

Questions for readers:

1) Is, as is the authors claimed above, a pictorial programming language
"*equally* acssible to users from all linguistic backgrounds"?  Or does
it skew the field the other way (i.e. against Indo-European language
users)?

2) Is the concept of a variable really more difficult to users of ideographic
language users?  How are other mathematical uses of variables taught?
Does mathematical literacy negate this alleged deficit?

3) If the availability of meaningless strings is the key to use of variables,
why is it so important to choose meaningful names for variables instead of
nonsense or conventionally meaningless names such as "X"?

4) Would you like to use such a pictographic programming language? Why or
why not?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Scott McGregor

beb@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Brian E. Bradley) (04/06/91)

  A recent poster noted that the CYC project, which is a fascinating attempt
to create "common sense" in a computer, may be very useful in user interface
applications.  It certainly would be handy, but CYC also demonstrates that
general common sense (rather than a small number of rules embedded in a
product) is an enormous and expensive resource, requiring huge databases
and considerable computing power.  It is much too big to implement on a
chip set for example, and the situation is unliklely to change for several
years.  And, the databases required would fill more than one CD-ROM in a full
implementation: this approach to common sense is much larger than most
implementations it would be installed to support!

  CYC deserves cheers for its ambitious attempt to tackle a problem which
may not actually be solvable.  Their particular approach to the problem may
be widely available and widely used in a few years: more likely, some future
applications will take the enormous set of data representations developed
for CYC and cannibalize parts of it or massage their data into a more
compressed form and arrangement using clever algorithms.

  So don't hold your breath waiting for it for your Mac II multimedia
applications.  But you've gotta love the CYC team for trying!

ph274cc@prism.gatech.EDU (Charles Cleveland) (04/07/91)

Sorry if you've seen this twice, but the Newsgroup line in the article I was
responding to started with an alt group, and the response I got on posting
from hydra (which doesn't carry alt groups) suggested that all the other groups
might have been ignored.

In article <1991Apr5.032157.10421@ecf.utoronto.ca> xiaoy@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO  Yan) writes:
)In article <jpenny.670789735@s.ms.uky.edu> jpenny@ms.uky.edu (Jim Penny) writes:
)	(Lines deleted...)
)>I would like to see you assign an icon for the operation of
)>"compute the Delauney triangulation" or "apply duality map D"
)>or "compute the Symmetric difference" or ...
)>
)
)	Ever learnt a language Called Chinese which doesn't use alphabetic
)	letters?
)

Let's get clear what we are talking about.  It seems to me some confusion
may have drifted into this conversation.

(Let me say at the outset that Yan's comment and its context only
precipitated this realization as a consequence of my own peculiar
psychology.  I am not directly addressing here what he confronts in his
remark.)

We seem to be talking about various interfaces and whether an iconic or
verbal approach best communicates the situation at hand, in general.  In
this discussion, this often seem to be equated with the question whether a
non-alphabetic or an alphabetic representation works best.  These are two
different things entirely.

From the point of view of the first question, written English and Chinese
are on the same side of the fence, while from that of the second, they are
on opposite sides.

Both written English and written Chinese are transcriptions of a spoken
tongue, and come equipped with the syntax and grammar of the languages they
represent.  The majority of Chinese ideograms are quite abstract and it
would be difficult to reconstruct the meaning of most expressions even if
given the fundamental pictorial roots from which ideograms were derived,
especially in the absence of the grammatical and syntactic underpinnings of
spoken Chinese; certainly they are not likely candidates for use on
international road signs in the near future.  (What is the Chinese ideogram
for `restroom'.  And what am I doing in here with all these women, anyway?)
At the level of this discussion, the only basic difference between written
Chinese and written English is that English sorts things out by phonemes
(or at least tried to before the Great Vowel Shift) and Chinese sorts
things out word by word.  There is little difference between a radio button
labelled `Trees' and one labelled with the corresponding Chinese ideogram.
Similarly, there would be little difference between a verbal interface
using English and one using Chinese.  Possibly none at all for some of my
relatives.  Whether one reads faster in a language based on words as a unit
instead of phonemes has virtually nothing to do with how readily a verbal
interface, as opposed to an iconic interface, communicates functionality to
the user.

To the extent that a strictly iconic interface can `universally' convey
functionality, it must rely only on relationships that are `universally'
understood, and which are expressible in some compatible graphical form.
Of course, the smaller the universe the easier this is to accomplish, and
(within that smaller scope) the more powerful and transparent that
interface is.

Thus, for example, the Mac's interface embodies a grammar (a relatively
European grammar) which is simple enough for many people to pick up more or
less on the fly.  Its (or rather Xerox's) great insight was realizing that
most of the things one wants to do on a computer are quite ordinary, and
therefore essentially like something else with which we are already
familiar, such as, but not necessarily restricted to, actions we routinely
engage on at desktops, trashcans, filing cabinets, folders, etc.  (I would
prefer baseball myself.  It has everything the desktop does and a great
deal more on the side.  Pinch hitters, umpires, relief pitchers, foul balls,
stolen bases.  What a senior project.  We're talking real computer science
here.  Probably have to be multitasking, though.  Or soccer --- even more
universally accessible.  But both may be sexist.  Sexist?  Sex --- I can see
the ad campaign now.  How universal can you get?  But I digress....).  It is
primarily the relatively simple, transparent, and inflexible grammar of that
interface, and not whether it uses an icon for a floppy disk instead of the
set of characters "Floppy Disk", that makes it so accessible to many people,
and paradoxically, such a trial for people who prefer non-iconic interfaces.

While some of the latter folk might also complain that many icons are
obscure and non-intuitive, so what?  Why should we expect anything else?
Think of such icons as mnemonics, instead of as documentation in their own
right.  I admit that many purveyors of graphical interfaces are themselves
to blame for pushing the belief that icons are self-documenting.  But so
what if they aren't?  In WordPerfect, Alt-F3 means `Reveal Codes'.  This is
transparent?  Most of the icons on the Word for Windows ruler bar might as
well BE Chinese ideograms as far as I'm concerned, but once you know what
they do they serve as fairly effective reminders which require little
precious screen real estate.

I'm not actually a Word for Windows user* (though I've played one on TV).
My wife uses WfW in her work and I've indirectly become quite familiar with
it.  We have spent significant corporate funds on third party books
explicating the intricacies of WfW in order to penetrate the dense thickets
of its interface and persuade it to heel to professional requirements.
Once mastered, the iconic interface is quite nice to use.  But for the
novice, expecially the demanding novice, it can be just as intimidating as
the MSDOS prompt.

* I use TeX myself --- in case anyone gets the radical idea from reading
this that I think graphical interfaces are the greatest thing since sliced
bread.  I never did figure out on my own how to change the name of a Mac
icon.  Stupid, hunh?  I kept looking for something in the Menus.  Where is
that documented anyway?

)>
)>however, there are situations in which people have notorious difficulty
)>understanding information presented textually; qualitative information
])>is foremost amoung these.  Here a graphic display can be very helpful.
)>
)>Realize that people may be able to find pictures which they are
)>very accustomed to faster than they are able to read the corresponding
)>words in a box, but the words in a box approach is immensely more
)>flexible and is more robust when novel concepts must be communicated.
)>
)>Jim Penny
)
)	Damn right.  Now when I return home, I don't look up street name
) 	and number anymore.
)

Excuse my impartial ignorance, Yan, but what do you do instead?

 )-YX

Charles Cleveland, School of Physics, Ga Tech, Atlanta, GA  30332-0430
uucp:  ...!gatech!prism!ph274cc    INTERNET:  ph274cc@prism.gatech.edu
Newsgroups: alt.hypertext,comp.cog-eng,comp.graphics,comp.multimedia,comp.software-eng
Subject: Re: Images vs. Text
[...]

From the point of view of the first question, written English and Chinese

adam@visix.com (04/07/91)

In article <jpenny.670886764@s.ms.uky.edu>, jpenny@ms.uky.edu (Jim Penny) writes:
> (stuff)

First, edit the goddamn newsgroups line.

Second, you don't know what you're talking about.

One small note about Chinese:  try inventing a written language for
one billion people who speak, say, a dozen mutually incomprehensible
dialects, with hundreds of variations.

Extra credit:  make your language independent of pronounciation drift.

Can you say phonemes?  Can you say alphabet?  Can you say alphabet
independent of phonemes?

Everything happens for a reason.  If you assume the reason is there,
and look for it, you will become a smart person.

I'm not here to explain every reason you missed.

Adam

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (04/08/91)

Jim> In any event, this is a detour from the original writer who claimed
Jim> that people could invariably process pictures faster than text:

Jim> 2) If pictures are inherently superior, consider the following series
Jim> of questions:
Jim> 	a) I will select at random a word from the dictionary:
Jim> 	you may draw as many pictures as you would like, but no letters,
Jim> 	to convey that word to a third party.  Will this be easy?
Jim> 	b) I will select at random a word from the dictionary;
Jim> 	you may draw as many letters as you want to convey the word to
Jim> 	a third party.   Will this be easy?

Probably an unfair test as its heavily weighted in favor of text.  Let's even
it up a little.  Suppose you were trying to convey the word to 100 people, all
of whom spoke/wrote a different language, and you had to convey the meaning to
>80% of the people.  Now would (a) or (b) be easier??

David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

sfp@mars.ornl.gov (Phil Spelt) (04/10/91)

(LOTS of stuff deleated)

>3)  What does the following picture mean?
>

>    _         _
>   / \       / \
>  /   \     /   \
>       \   /     \   /
>	\_/       \_/
> ----------------------
>
> (hint: it is seen in my kitchen)
> It appears on my dishwasher, and means heat dry!

IMHO, the above picture really IS part of a parlor game.  This whole issue
is wasting bandwidth, because the fundamental issue is not being addredded:
*WHAT* information is to be ocnveyed?  Pictures are fine for *SOME* things.
Moreover, the problem with the above "picture" is that the *CONTEXT* is missing!Properly drawn (I recognize the limitatins of an ASCIIgram!) and seen on a
dishwasher, most people would be able to recognize what that symbol means.

A good esample of the *PROPER* (IMHO) use of pictures is in the road/highway
symbols used to convey information:  People crossing, deer crossing, the
infamous "banned" symbol, table utensils for diners, and on and on and on . . .
The point is, that these symbols, *IN THEIR PROPER CONTEXT*, provide lots of
information which is not dependent on ANY language, and which can communicate
to people who speak a variety of languages!

Will this (IMHO) *DEFINITIVE* analysis end this discussion???

Probably not (IMHO)  8=) .
MIND.  A mysterious form of matter secreted by the brain.  Its chief activity
consists in the endeavor to asscertain its own nature, the futility of the
attempt being due to the fact that it has nothing but itself to know itself
with.   -- Ambrose Bierce

Phil Spelt, Cognitive Systems & Human Factors Group  sfp@epm.ornl.gov
Any opinions expressed or implied are my own, IF I choose to own up to them.

mk3c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Melinda J. Klump) (04/16/91)

Scott McGregor Asks:

1) Is, as is the authors claimed above, a pictorial programming language
"*equally* acssible to users from all linguistic backgrounds"?  Or does
it skew the field the other way (i.e. against Indo-European language
users)?

I think it has to do more with cultural connotations of pictures rather
than the language behind the culture.

2) Is the concept of a variable really more difficult to users of ideographic
language users?  How are other mathematical uses of variables taught?
Does mathematical literacy negate this alleged deficit?

When you think of numbers (and +/-* type symbols) as one language, and
letters another, this conflict is lessened.  If we only had numbers to
work with when trying to form a mathematical formula and couldn't use
letters to represent variables, then we would have a problem.  Which
leads into your question on meaningless strings...

3) If the availability of meaningless strings is the key to use of variables,
why is it so important to choose meaningful names for variables instead of
nonsense or conventionally meaningless names such as "X"?

It isn't "so important" but it lessens one step in translation.  If I
told you that a + b = c and I told you that red + blue = purple, which
one would you understand faster/easier/more meaningfully? (This same
equation could be used totally pictorally using squares of red and blue
and purple for example)

4) Would you like to use such a pictographic programming language? Why or
why not?  Inquiring minds want to know...

No more than I would LISP, which I am currently learning, and which I
believe is entirely bogged down in words' meanings.  Which shows that
the pre-conceived "meanings"  of the strings gets in the way of my
learning and implenting the language, much like the chinese problem,
except this is the indo-european version.   There is also no known
universal pictorial language that can express the same number of basic
concepts that exist in English or Chinese ( or any other language type)
that wouldn't make my task twice as hard to learn a language that could
be expressed in a language I already use as my basis for communication.
I would have to learn the pictorial language first, then the programming
that uses it.

An ideal language/alphabet would be one that combined aspects of both:
for example as one that does this somewhat, Sanskrit I believe uses a
horizontal line (icon) to represent the root/basis of a word, with
consonants below the line and vowels above.  Using that rule alone, I
could semi-decipher Sanskrit a lot more than than I could English that
has no universal visual key like that: all the vowels look different and
can be placed anywhere.

That also brings up the concept of dimensions with language: Sanskrit
utilizes a horizontal and vertical axis to express itself.  An
icon-string hybrid language would also have to utilize such to give it
enough flexibility to be representative/useful.  One could visualize a
sheet of graph paper with the narrative/programming beginning either in
the center or one of the corners and continuing in whatever other
directions thereafter.

As an example:

We are programming in the hybrid language on a graph with the axis in
the center of the paper/screen.  The upper left corner defines the
variables, the more global, the closer to the center.

Functions are in the upper left, global variables centralized again.

The "body" (an example of present visual keys in a non-visual language
today) is in the lower left.

Programming in this fashion allows us to program non-sequentially if we
want to.

Visual clues and language do/can not limit themselves to one dimension

Scott McGregor

As a user and not a programmer observing this discussion:

I use Macs a lot.  They are very easy to use using windows and icons.
But I can't use my macintosh without the words (under/with)  the icons
to explain which sub-set I am using.  I have about 10 art programs in my
files, and I use different programs for different pieces (depending on
what I want to do).  I save all my programs on one disk/folder/storage
area and my art on another.  It is easy to sort out all of my files
using pictures within pictures (icons in folders in folders for example)
using a nesting or branching looking process/set-up visually.

I have 25 pieces of art in one file, 7 being A program, 8 being B, 3 -
C, 4 - D, etc.  All art programs have universally (for the most part all
types of programs) picked an icon to represent a "document" : a page of
paper with a corner folded down.  Then I can sort out my programs from
my documents. I couldn't however, sort out my A documents from my B
documents based on that alone.  So the programmers have sub-iconed each
icon with an icon inside to represent that it was an A program that
created it, or a B document, etc.  One thing I have come across as a
difficulty though is a "generic art " or  "pict" document: it has no
sub-icon, just the icon of "document".  So consequently, I cannot tell
that it is an art document by looking at it.  Now if all art programs
adopted a universal sub-icon that showed it was an art document first,
then they used a sub-sub-icon to show what program created it, my life
would be a lot easier.

Nesting and branching is the key to happiness  :-)

That is my example/problem/boon with icons so far.

michael j pastor iii
guest on melinda's account

mcgregor@hemlock.Atherton.COM (Scott McGregor) (04/18/91)

In article <oc2hMlK00Vpb4JPVZR@andrew.cmu.edu> michael j pastor iii write:

	<34980@athertn.Atherton.COM>

Scott McGregor Asks:
> 1) Is, as is the authors claimed above, a pictorial programming language
> "*equally* acssible to users from all linguistic backgrounds"?  Or does
> it skew the field the other way (i.e. against Indo-European language
> users)

>> I think it has to do more with cultural connotations of pictures rather
>> than the language behind the culture.

The authors (Cox & Pietrzykowski) claimed pictorial programming languages were
superior, not because the pictures were well chosen, but because the
pictures don't require the use of the concept of variables, which they
claim is a difficult concept in languages with ideograms since it is
not possible to compose "a meaningless string" to represent a variable.
This is the question I would like to hear comments on.  Was this posting
meant to agree with them, or disagree with them?

> 2) Is the concept of a variable really more difficult to users of ideographic
> language users?  How are other mathematical uses of variables taught?
> Does mathematical literacy negate this alleged deficit?

>> When you think of numbers (and +/-* type symbols) as one language, and
>> letters another, this conflict is lessened.  If we only had numbers to
>> work with when trying to form a mathematical formula and couldn't use
>> letters to represent variables, then we would have a problem.

That is exactly the author's point--that iconic languages don't have
letters, so variables can't be represented. The author's suggestion is
that algebraic notation is a second language, but a second language more
akin to Indo-European languages, and thus easier for Indo-Europeans to
master.  But is this true?  Does the average asian-language speaker
have more difficulty learning symbolic algebra?  What evidence supports
or refutes the authors' suggestions

> 3) If the availability of meaningless strings is the key to use of variables,
> why is it so important to choose meaningful names for variables instead of
> nonsense or conventionally meaningless names such as "X"?

> It isn't "so important" but it lessens one step in translation.  If I
> told you that a + b = c and I told you that red + blue = purple, which
> one would you understand faster/easier/more meaningfully? (This same
> equation could be used totally pictorally using squares of red and blue
> and purple for example)

C&P seem to claim that "a", "b" and "c" are better variables because they
carry no predefined meanings.  "Red", "Blue", "Purple" clearly carry some
meaning from the color world.  I would suspect that in a program about
joining colored areas, choosing names such as "red-color-area" and
"blue-color-area" or even simply "red" or "blue" would be prefered to
the use of "a" and "b" as variables in such a program.  But this is
conflict with the
statement C&P make that variables are more naturally composed from
meaningless nonsense strings. In other words, don't we prefer variables
to carry some meaning in practice, and not merely act as placeholders?

Scott McGregor
Atherton Technology
mcgregor@atherton.com