[comp.software-eng] Not engineers

jim@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jim Nicholsen) (04/17/91)

In an article referencing "Documenting OO Systems" Steve Savitzky wrote

   "Perhaps we should start borrowing our terminology from the arts:
   "producer" for the person who puts up the money and controls the
    budget, "director" for the one with overall artistic control,
   "designer" for the one who creates the look and feel of the project,
   and "writer" for the ones doing the programming and technical writing
   (hopefully mostly the same people"

This is the very idea I have begun to discuss (albeit unsuccessfully
thus far :->) in my organization.  My idea came from Walt Disney who
transfered the titles from the movie industry that he understood, to
his "new" amusement park as it was built. His problem was to communicate
his expectations to the staff, and he found that he couldn't achieve
the level of communication he needed within the conventional amusement
park titles. (The preceding from a management seminar I attended from
the Walt Disney staff).

I can see that a similar problem existing within our industry. The title
"software engineer" was grabbed to add more prestige to those given the
title. The debate on-going in the professional organizations concerning
certification of those whoe wish to use the title has much more to do with
perserving prestige as it does with "improving" the level of expertise.

The problem, within firms whose product is software, is describing the
job that each person is to do (from owner to person who looks after the
building).  Within our organization there are 'operators', 'programmers'
'system analysts', and 'managers'.  operators dream of being programmers,
for programmers make more money, programmers dream of being system analysts
for system analysts make more money. And, of course, system analysts can
only move to management if they wish to improve their lot in life. The
preceding discriptions said nothing about the work that was performed, it
simply described a pecking order based on salary.

I submit, that once the names have been corrupted by linkage to salary
pecking order we will search for names to describe the work. The "software
engineer" title stems from that need to describe the work (and if it
means more salary, so much the better :->).

The arts terminology has much to offer in describing our organizations.
'Cast members' and "crew" in the arts can achieve aclaim within their own
field, they need not aspire to become directors and producers in order to
succeed.  Indeed, there is more of an understanding in the arts community
that the job of producer and director are different from cast member, than
there is within the software community over the difference between (for
example) Vice-president, director, and project leader.

I open the floor for discussion. (i.e. asbestos suit is on :->)

Jim Nicholsen
Sterling IMD Inc
1404 Fort Crook Road South
Bellevue NE  68005-2969

voice   (402) 291-8300
fax     (402) 291-4362
email   jim@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM

for system analysts make more money.

theo.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (04/18/91)

jim@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jim Nicholsen) writes:

> This is the very idea I have begun to discuss (albeit unsuccessfully
> thus far :->) in my organization.  My idea came from Walt Disney who
> transfered the titles from the movie industry that he understood, to
> his "new" amusement park as it was built. His problem was to communicate
> his expectations to the staff, and he found that he couldn't achieve
> the level of communication he needed within the conventional amusement
> park titles. (The preceding from a management seminar I attended from
> the Walt Disney staff).
>
> I can see that a similar problem existing within our industry. The title
> "software engineer" was grabbed to add more prestige to those given the
> title. The debate on-going in the professional organizations concerning
> certification of those whoe wish to use the title has much more to do with
> perserving prestige as it does with "improving" the level of expertise.
>
> I submit, that once the names have been corrupted by linkage to salary
> pecking order we will search for names to describe the work. The "software
> engineer" title stems from that need to describe the work (and if it
> means more salary, so much the better :->).

I agree --- the terminology in our area is sometime taken to the extreme.
Unfortunately, titles will always be associated with money NOT just the
underlying talent.

Still worse is the fact that very rarely may a techie type flourish
in the tech area. To clarify, a good techie (ie. programmer) can only
go so far before maxing out the salary range. To move up (the standard
American dream) to a higher level of income the techie must move into
"management" --- too many GREAT programmers/sys analysts/other techies
are in the realms of mid to upper mgt. It is unfortunate that those who
are so talented are rewarded in this manner.

I'll take that flame suit now please --------

Theo Heavey
Florida Atlantic University
theo@cs.fau.edu

dalamb@avi.umiacs.umd.edu (David Lamb) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.144402.16637@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> jim@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jim Nicholsen) writes:
>... The title
>"software engineer" was grabbed to add more prestige to those given the
>title. The debate on-going in the professional organizations concerning
>certification of those whoe wish to use the title has much more to do with
>perserving prestige as it does with "improving" the level of expertise.

My, aren't we cynical (and I do mean "we").  I think at least a few of
the people who coined the term "Software Engineering" (at the 1968
Nato conference, according to folklore) were holding it up as an ideal
to aspire to.  I've heard plenty of people say that the main activity
of most professional organizations is to protect the privileges of
their members.  Is there some way we can separate out expressions of
cynicism and despair from a discussion of what the profession ought to
be like?

>The problem, within firms whose product is software, is describing the
>job that each person is to do (from owner to person who looks after the
>building).

This I can agree with.  Metaphors I've heard are
    Movie industry (the article that started this thread?)
    Rhetoric (software as written communication)
    Programmer/S.Eng./Comp.Scientist as Technician/Electrical Engineer/Physicist
	(this one has been my favourite so far, but perhaps leads us too much
	 into questions of prestige)

Another observation that may not be too relevant, but struck me: the
book publishing trade doesn't appear to have "managers".  Instead
everybody is an "editor" of some kind.  I imagine they do much the
sort of thing that managers everywhere do, but at least the title
focuses on the job of getting books out, instead of some kind of
generic "management" divorced from what's being managed.
--

David Alex Lamb				internet: dalamb@umiacs.umd.edu

cml@tove.cs.umd.edu (Christopher Lott) (04/18/91)

In article <Js1k11w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> theo.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:
>Still worse is the fact that very rarely may a techie type flourish
>in the tech area. To clarify, a good techie (ie. programmer) can only
>go so far before maxing out the salary range. To move up (the standard
>American dream) to a higher level of income the techie must move into
>"management"

If I remember correctly from my brief time at IBM, they have a dual
career track.  Good technical people can become senior then more senior
(forgot the catchy titles) tech people without assuming managerial duties.
I assume (but don't know) that the salaries were comparable.  Anyone else
out there work for a place with this dual track?  Is this common?

chris...
--
Christopher Lott \/ Dept of Comp Sci, Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
  cml@cs.umd.edu /\ 4122 AV Williams Bldg  301 405-2721 <standard disclaimers>

skrone@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (stuart.krone) (04/18/91)

In article <33186@mimsy.umd.edu> cml@tove.cs.umd.edu (Christopher Lott) writes:
>In article <Js1k11w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> theo.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:
>>Still worse is the fact that very rarely may a techie type flourish
>>in the tech area. To clarify, a good techie (ie. programmer) can only
>>go so far before maxing out the salary range. To move up (the standard
>>American dream) to a higher level of income the techie must move into
>>"management"
>

>If I remember correctly from my brief time at IBM, they have a dual
>career track.  Good technical people can become senior then more senior
>(forgot the catchy titles) tech people without assuming managerial duties.
>I assume (but don't know) that the salaries were comparable.  Anyone else
>out there work for a place with this dual track?  Is this common?

Yes. AT&T has a dual track. It takes longer to climb the tech track and
there is a limit on how high you can go but at least you don't
have to become administrative if you don't want to.
>chris...
>--
>Christopher Lott \/ Dept of Comp Sci, Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
>  cml@cs.umd.edu /\ 4122 AV Williams Bldg  301 405-2721 <standard disclaimers>

These opinions are mine and do not reflect
the policys of AT&T or anyu other
organization real or fictional.

koehnema@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (Harry Koehnemann) (04/18/91)

In article <Js1k11w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> theo.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:

>To move up to a higher level of income the techie must move into
>"management" --- too many GREAT programmers/sys analysts/other techies
>are in the realms of mid to upper mgt. It is unfortunate that those who
>are so talented are rewarded in this manner.

It is probably also unfortunate for those they have to manage.  |:=)

Harry Koehnemann
koehnema@enuxha.eas.asu.edu

cole@farmhand.rtp.dg.com (Bill Cole) (04/19/91)

|>Theo Heavey writes:
|> >Still worse is the fact that very rarely may a techie type flourish
|> >in the tech area. To clarify, a good techie (ie. programmer) can only
|> >go so far before maxing out the salary range. To move up (the standard
|> >American dream) to a higher level of income the techie must move into
|> >"management"
|>
|>Christopher Lott replies:
|> If I remember correctly from my brief time at IBM, they have a dual
|> career track.  Good technical people can become senior then more senior
|> (forgot the catchy titles) tech people without assuming managerial duties.
|> I assume (but don't know) that the salaries were comparable.  Anyone else
|> out there work for a place with this dual track?  Is this common?

You're both right.  The Software Engineer in a 'user' environment (i.e.,
someone who works for an end-user of computing services such as a bank or
insurance company or a steel company) is considered a useful tool -- almost
like the machine but more interchangeable with other programmers who might
work more cheaply.  In this environment, a programmer has two choices:
become a 'systems programmer', thereby linking yourself inextricably to
IBM; or move into management.

In the world of computing services builders (such as software companies or
hardware manufacturers/integrators), we've cleverly built two tracks -- one
for managers and one for the folks who clearly are happy doing technical
things.  That's why I choose to work for a vendor.  I have swapped from
individual contributor to manager to individual contributor to manager.
The point is that it's my choice to be one or the other and continue on
that particular career track; I'm not particularly penalized or rewarded
for making the decision.

/Bill

hamm@austoto.sps.mot.com (Steve Hamm) (04/19/91)

-----On 18 Apr 91 13:19:23 GMT, cml@tove.cs.umd.edu (Christopher Lott) said:

CL> If I remember correctly from my brief time at IBM, they have a
CL> dual career track.  Good technical people can become senior then
CL> more senior (forgot the catchy titles) tech people without
CL> assuming managerial duties.  I assume (but don't know) that the
CL> salaries were comparable.  Anyone else out there work for a place
CL> with this dual track?  Is this common?

Motorola has a technical ladder as well as managerial.  IMHO,
progressing in it is almost as political as managerial promotion, and
it is highly oriented toward hardware design engineering (with lots of
weight on patents), but it functions quite a bit better than supposed
equivalents at other places I've worked.

As to how common it is, it depends.  Small companies tend not to need
it, since visibility (and appropriate recognition/rewards for the
better technical people) is less of a problem.  Large companies tend,
I think, to have these programs in place because they KNOW they have
an opportunity (aka problem) in this area.  Medium sized companies
(say, 100 -> 1000 employees) are likely to be really variable.
(Personal experience.)  In a medium sized techie company, the founders
and initial employees could form a club, and make it REAL difficult
for high-performing latecomers to join.  Sometimes it happens,
sometimes not.  It's part of the graceful-transition-from-startup-
to-larger-company problem, and sometimes it isn't graceful at all.

Just my opinions.

--Steve

--
Steve Hamm -------  Motorola Inc. Semiconductor Systems Design Technology
                    3501 Ed Bluestein Blvd., MD-M2, Austin TX 78762

alan@tivoli.UUCP (Alan R. Weiss) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr17.144402.16637@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> jim@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jim Nicholsen) writes:
>In an article referencing "Documenting OO Systems" Steve Savitzky wrote
>
>   "Perhaps we should start borrowing our terminology from the arts:
>   "producer" for the person who puts up the money and controls the
>    budget, "director" for the one with overall artistic control,
>   "designer" for the one who creates the look and feel of the project,
>   and "writer" for the ones doing the programming and technical writing
>   (hopefully mostly the same people"
>
>This is the very idea I have begun to discuss (albeit unsuccessfully
>thus far :->) in my organization.  My idea came from Walt Disney who
>transfered the titles from the movie industry that he understood, to
>his "new" amusement park as it was built. His problem was to communicate
>his expectations to the staff, and he found that he couldn't achieve
>the level of communication he needed within the conventional amusement
>park titles. (The preceding from a management seminar I attended from
>the Walt Disney staff).

No no, this is actually a VERY good idea to explore, and in fact is
being attempted at two places (that I know of):  American Interactive
Media, and a firm up in Silicon Valley that, due to Non-disclosures,
I can't, well, disclose :-}

AIM does software for CD-I, the interactive version of CD laser tech.
sponsored by Sony, Polygram, and Philips.  Their software products
are mostly games and educational programs, and since their backing
is from the entertainment industry they naturally gravitated towards
what I call the Hollywood Model (c).  They have a Producer (the
Finance guy, usually), the Director (the Development or Project Manager),
the Writers (software developers), and the Artists/Graphics people
(which would, I suppose, correspond to GUI programmers and designers).

Where they fall flat on their face is in QA and Testing.  For testing,
they just hire a bunch of college kids to come and play with the games,
which is appealing from a budgetary and customer feedback perspective
is surely different from an engineering discipline.  In short, they
have no Continuity Director :-)

>"software engineer" was grabbed to add more prestige to those given the
>title. The debate on-going in the professional organizations concerning
>certification of those whoe wish to use the title has much more to do with
>perserving prestige as it does with "improving" the level of expertise.

In your humble opinion, no doubt.  IMHO, the term "software engineer"
was both a sign of hope (that programmers would live up to the term)
and an acknowledgement of the increasing complexity of interrelated
software components requiring more engineering skill sets.

>The problem, within firms whose product is software, is describing the
>job that each person is to do (from owner to person who looks after the
>building).  Within our organization there are 'operators', 'programmers'
>'system analysts', and 'managers'.  operators dream of being programmers,
>for programmers make more money, programmers dream of being system analysts
>for system analysts make more money. And, of course, system analysts can
>only move to management if they wish to improve their lot in life. The
>preceding discriptions said nothing about the work that was performed, it
>simply described a pecking order based on salary.

This is dull.  It also is most likely true for a LARGE percentage of
software development firms.  Haven't they ever heard of the dual
career ladder?  Of reward based upon % contribution?  Believe you me,
we have people here who would kill NOT to become a manager.

>The arts terminology has much to offer in describing our organizations.

Yes, and I believe that the Hollywood Model should be pursued.
As Tom Peters has said, "try it, break it, fix, repeat."  Organizations`
should be free to experiment, SO LONG AS THEIR STAFFS ARE NOT
THREATENED AND YOU GET BUY-IN.

>Jim Nicholsen
>Sterling IMD Inc
>1404 Fort Crook Road South
>Bellevue NE  68005-2969
>
>voice   (402) 291-8300
>fax     (402) 291-4362
>email   jim@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM

Alan R. Weiss                           TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
E-mail: alan@tivoli.com                 6034 West Courtyard Drive,
E-mail: alan@whitney.tivoli.com	        Suite 210
Voice : (512) 794-9070                  Austin, Texas USA  78730
Fax   : (512) 794-0623   "Hell, I can barely speak for myself."

dlw@Atherton.COM (David Williams) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr17.144402.16637@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM>,
jim@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jim Nicholsen) writes:
>In an article referencing "Documenting OO Systems" Steve Savitzky wrote

   "Perhaps we should start borrowing our terminology from the arts:
   "producer" for the person who puts up the money and controls the
    budget, "director" for the one with overall artistic control,
   "designer" for the one who creates the look and feel of the project,
   and "writer" for the ones doing the programming and technical writing
   (hopefully mostly the same people"

>This is the very idea I have begun to discuss (albeit unsuccessfully
>thus far :->) in my organization.  My idea came from Walt Disney who
>transfered the titles from the movie industry that he understood, to
>his "new" amusement park as it was built. His problem was to communicate
>his expectations to the staff, and he found that he couldn't achieve
>the level of communication he needed within the conventional amusement
>park titles. (The preceding from a management seminar I attended from
>the Walt Disney staff).

[Other portions deleted]
>I open the floor for discussion. (i.e. asbestos suit is on :->)

Actually I heard Ted Nelson (of Hypertext, Xanadu, Dream Machines, etc)
first propose this idea at a seminar/consulting gig we had him give to
us while some of us now at Atherton were working for Hewlett Packard.
Not only that, his point was that in the early days of filmmaking the
cameraman was supreme and the main focus of films was JUST pointing a
camera a scene and letting it run. It wasn't till DIRECTORS came on the
scene that movie making evolved into what is is today. The cameraman was
just into the "technical side" of film making and did not "FOCUS"
(pardon the pun, but how appropriate) on what he was shooting and how to
involve his customer (the audience) with what he was showing them (I
would have included, what he was "trying to get across, but early cinema
was not that advanced). Now map the Software Engineer in the role of
cameraman (knows how to work the "equipment of the trade", but should
this person be designing the piece?). Some rare individual "engineers"
actually evolve into Directors or scriptwriters, but most just like bit
twiddling for bit twiddlings sake.

Ted showed the opening sequence to some of the Disney films and showed
the micro planning involved in the films "User Interface" that actually
draws the audience INTO the story being told. It is sometimes very
subtle, but once you realize what filmakers and cinematographers today
now do you realize just how powerful their techniques are. His point was
to show how another industry conceives, plans and designs their User
Interface and how the software industry might do the same if they were
smart [and it was his contention that Arcade Video Game designeers knew
how to do this....visit a local arcade...note that you actually pay
money to try out the product and continually feed it money to use it if
you find it interesting to use and notice the SIZE and content of the
USER MANUAL <generally a paragraph on the outside of the unit>.

So mapping the metaphor of the Film industry onto the Software industry
might yield some very easy to use and enjoyable products that are also
productive.

David
         #define flame_sheild "I know you are, but what am I?"
      David Williams -- dlw@atherton.com -- (408) 734-9822 x291
	    Atherton Technology -- The CASE Repository/IPSE
	       1333 Bordeaux Drive Sunnyvale, CA 94089
			 AIX,SunOS,Ultrix,VMS
				  *

straub@jogger.cs.umd.edu (Pablo A. Straub) (04/20/91)

In article <684@tivoli.UUCP> alan@tivoli.UUCP (Alan R. Weiss) writes:
> [...]
> No no, this [borrowing terminology from the entertainment industry] is
> actually a VERY good idea to explore.
>
> AIM does software for CD-I, the interactive version of CD laser  tech.
> sponsored  by Sony, Polygram, and Philips. Their software products are
> mostly games and educational programs, and since their backing is from
> the entertainment industry they naturally gravitated  towards  what  I
> call  the  Hollywood Model (c). They have a Producer (the Finance guy,
> usually), the Director  (the  Development  or  Project  Manager),  the
> Writers  (software developers), and the Artists/Graphics people (which
> would, I suppose, correspond to GUI programmers and designers).

This may be a great idea in an  organization  that  develops  games  and
educational  programs, for after all the end product is like that in the
entertainment industry.  Software that will be  used  directly  by  many
people (e.g., a spreadsheet for a microcomputer) might probably fit this
mold  too.  Attempting  to  generalize this scheme to all other software
products (e.g., custom software, engineering software) is at least naive
and at worst irresponsible.

> IMHO, the term "software engineer" was  both  a  sign  of  hope  (that
> programmers  would  live up to the term) and an acknowledgement of the
> increasing complexity of interrelated  software  components  requiring
> more engineering skill sets.

Agree.

> As Tom Peters has said, "try it, break it, fix, repeat." Organizations
> should be free  to  experiment,  SO  LONG  AS  THEIR  STAFFS  ARE  NOT
> THREATENED AND YOU GET BUY-IN.

But an engineering approach to experimentation must  be  guided  by  the
organizations'  goals,  not  just  the  curiosity  of  individual  staff
members.

Pablo A. Straub
straub@cs.umd.edu

lfd@cbnewsm.att.com (Lee Derbenwick) (04/22/91)

In article <33186@mimsy.umd.edu>, cml@tove.cs.umd.edu (Christopher Lott) writes:
> If I remember correctly from my brief time at IBM, they have a dual
> career track.  Good technical people can become senior then more senior
> (forgot the catchy titles) tech people without assuming managerial duties.
> I assume (but don't know) that the salaries were comparable.  Anyone else
> out there work for a place with this dual track?  Is this common?

AT&T, in Bell Labs and related R&D areas, has a slightly different twist
to this.  Traditionally, one title ("Member Technical Staff" or "MTS")
was used for all technical people from new hires with shiny new Masters'
degrees through PhD's with 40 years experience in the company.  There
was no stigma attached to remaining a non-manager MTS for your entire
career.  (Indeed, while there were indeed perks, a salary increment, etc.,
for becoming a manager, managers were _not_ willing to give up the MTS
title.  Thus, Ian Ross is an MTS who happens to be President of Bell Labs.)

In recent years, the MTS category has been subdivided slightly into
MTS-I ("MTS One" as the entry level), MTS, and DMTS ("Distinguished MTS").
So it's somewhere between a technical ladder and the old MTS concept.
(MTS-I also functions as a bridge between the "Associate Technical Staff"
levels and full technical staff, a gap that used to be almost impossible
to get over.  IMHO, this improved career path for people who happened to
join the company without an MS is the one good thing that's come out of
the subdivision.)

I've also worked at a couple companies with "dual ladders".  In both
cases, the dual ladder was somewhat of a farce, since _both_ sides were
actually management.  The "management" ladder involved managing people
(e.g., salary review) and overall budgets, etc.  The "technical" ladder
involved managing projects.  You can't do much personal technical work
if your job involves directing the work of 10 or 20 or 50 other technical
people (depending on your spot on the ladder), even if you aren't
officially their "manager".

I've heard of a company near Penn State (a post-WW II spinoff?) that
addressed this problem via a _TRIPLE_ ladder: people management, project
management, and technical.  Seems to make sense to me, but does anybody
have any real info on how it works?  Has anyone else tried it or anything
similar?

 -- Speaking strictly for myself,
 --   Lee Derbenwick, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Warren, NJ
 --   lfd@cbnewsm.ATT.COM  or  <wherever>!att!cbnewsm!lfd

georgerj@motcid.UUCP (Richard J. George) (04/23/91)

lfd@cbnewsm.att.com (Lee Derbenwick) writes:

>In article <33186@mimsy.umd.edu>, cml@tove.cs.umd.edu (Christopher Lott) writes:
>> If I remember correctly from my brief time at IBM, they have a dual
>> career track.  Good technical people can become senior then more senior
>> (forgot the catchy titles) tech people without assuming managerial duties.
>> I assume (but don't know) that the salaries were comparable.  Anyone else
>> out there work for a place with this dual track?  Is this common?

Motorola (US) has a dual structure.  Motorola (UK) would like one but don't
appear to have one yet.

RJG

No-one listens, so why should I speak for anyone?

alan@tivoli.UUCP (Alan R. Weiss) (04/24/91)

In article <33297@mimsy.umd.edu> straub@cs.umd.edu (Pablo A. Straub) writes:
>In article <684@tivoli.UUCP> alan@tivoli.UUCP (Alan R. Weiss) writes:
>> [...]

[Regarding the Hollywood Model of Software Development (tm)]:

>This may be a great idea in an  organization  that  develops  games  and
>educational  programs, for after all the end product is like that in the
>entertainment industry.  Software that will be  used  directly  by  many
>people (e.g., a spreadsheet for a microcomputer) might probably fit this
>mold  too.  Attempting  to  generalize this scheme to all other software
>products (e.g., custom software, engineering software) is at least naive
>and at worst irresponsible.

Gee, its nice to see me called irresponsible for a change.  Most people
who know me (and have read my prior postings) would call me
SUPER-responsible.  I am advocating research into this approach,
and tolerance for controlled experimentation.  You must be new
to this newsgroup, Pablo.

>> As Tom Peters has said, "try it, break it, fix, repeat." Organizations
>> should be free  to  experiment,  SO  LONG  AS  THEIR  STAFFS  ARE  NOT
>> THREATENED AND YOU GET BUY-IN.
>
>But an engineering approach to experimentation must  be  guided  by  the
>organizations'  goals,  not  just  the  curiosity  of  individual  staff
>members.
>

>Pablo A. Straub
>straub@cs.umd.edu

I partially agree:  there should be goals in mind, both organizationally
and personally.  But to ignore curiosity is a devastating mistake.
You MUST encourage curiosity:  in the entire history of scientific
and engineering breakthroughs, its usually been a megalomaniac on a
mission [grins!] who makes the breakthrough, along with LOTS of
contributors to polish, refine, and improve the technology.  NOT
XOR, but rather AND!

I encourage well-intentioned risk-taking, and reward for learning
from honest mistakes.  I didn't ALWAYS do this :-), but we all learn.

I refer you to "PeopleWare", by Tony DeMarco, and "Mythical Man Month",
by Frederick Brooks.

wdr@wang.com (William Ricker) (04/30/91)

>> cml@tove.cs.umd.edu (Christopher Lott) writes:
>>> If I remember correctly from my brief time at IBM, they have a dual
>>> career track.  Good technical people can become senior then more senior
>>> (forgot the catchy titles) tech people without assuming managerial duties.
>>> I assume (but don't know) that the salaries were comparable.  Anyone else
>>> out there work for a place with this dual track?  Is this common?

Yes, IBM has a wide range of individual-contributor levels,
including the "Fellow of IBM" level,  which as I understand it is
an appointment for life and getting a personal budget from a senior VP.
I believe it was Backus, inventor of Fortran etc, whom I met with such.

The MITRE Corp. officially has a technical ladder as well as a management
ladder, but the rungs are further apart with space for fewer people on each
rung.  And in too many portions of the organization it's treated as a holding
place for burned out managers.

Here at Wang Labs, there are technical titles ranging fairly high,
with no apparent requirement to manage to be promoted.  It does help
to have a patron manager whose personal staff you are on, however, if
you want to completely avoid even team-leadership.  I know one
engineer who is staff with glorious title & perqs to an Executive VP,
and has not to my knowledge ever managed anyone.  I know someone else,
now staff to a Director/virt.VP, who when made a dept.head, hired an
assistant, created a new "staff" title, Promoted his "assistant" to be
his boss, and then had himself transferred into this new staff slot --
thus setting a precedent for the rest of us, who can now aspire to be
staff to dept.heads and above.  (His quote: "I've never had a boss
whose job I wanted.")  My boss is nominally a department head for four
researchers, but in reality we're a collective of staff of whom he's
senior guide.  He has to appear to have management responsibility on
the org chart, but I believe his title is still a "staff" as opposed
to line title -- although he has his own staff and appears on the org
chart next to a department.  He's the first boss I've had whose job
I'd want!

Bell Labs solved the problem by having only one title for professional
staff.  The bosses paid whatever it took to keep the folks worth keeping.
I don't believe the bosses were forbidden to pay more than their own salaries?

--
/s/ Bill Ricker                wdr@wang.wang.com
"The Freedom of the Press belongs to those who own one."