[comp.software-eng] Whats the best Project Managment tool running on PCs, etc

091959@nereid (Gary Benson D417/7-7412) (04/30/91)

I have put up SoftPC on my NeXT with the intent of running a PC version of a
Proj. Mang. package, currently, the NeXT does not have one.

I now find that there are to many choices for the PC, so I'm taking a poll,
which do you find to be the best? You can respond to me at gsb@lanl.gov or via
this group.

Gary Benson
MS D417
LANL
Los Alamos, NM 87545
gsb@lanl.gov
(505) 667-7412

alan@tivoli.UUCP (Alan R. Weiss) (05/02/91)

In article <22866@lanl.gov> gsb@lanl.gov writes:
>I have put up SoftPC on my NeXT with the intent of running a PC version of a
>Proj. Mang. package, currently, the NeXT does not have one.
>
>I now find that there are to many choices for the PC, so I'm taking a poll,
>this group.
>
>Gary Benson
>MS D417
>LANL
>Los Alamos, NM 87545
>gsb@lanl.gov
>(505) 667-7412

PC Magazine did a round-up review, and picked Microsoft Project for
Windows (NOT the old MS-Project for DOS).  Of course, its certainly
problematic whether or not your softPC won't gag on Windows.

Another good alternative is TimeLine 4.0 from Symantec.  I've
used it in a multi-department large scale project, and it works:
simple, full o' function, and even (gasp) kinda fun.

Of course, if your reporting needs are simple, just draw a Gantt
chart by hand and manage your staff, rather than spending days
ensconced in your office ... OK, OK, just kidding.  I'll shut up now.

Alan R. Weiss                           TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
E-mail: alan@tivoli.com                 6034 West Courtyard Drive,
E-mail: alan@whitney.tivoli.com	        Suite 210
Voice : (512) 794-9070                  Austin, Texas USA  78730
Fax   : (512) 794-0623   "These are, unfortunately, my own thoughts."

esa@tglobe2.tollpost-globe (Esa K Viitala) (05/06/91)

        >Subject: Re: Whats the best Project Managment tool running
        >on PCs, etc

Running on Sun OS 4.1.1 ?
	- Public domain?
	- Commercial?

---ekv

--
Esa Viitala, TOLLPOST-GLOBE A/S, Systems Department,
PO Box 100, N6301 Aandalsnes, Norway Tel: (+47 72) 21211 / 264,