[comp.software-eng] Multi Site RCS

mra@searchtech.com (Michael Almond) (05/03/91)

We are currently in a situation where we are doing software develop here
at our lab.  This software is then taken to another lab to be integrated with
other systems while development continues here.

Does anyone know of any set of procedures or utilities for doing multi-site
revision control?

We are currently using RCS.

--
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)          mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				            mra@searchtech.com

bergquis@nms.gdc.portal.com (Brett Bergquist) (05/07/91)

mra@searchtech.com (Michael Almond) writes:
> We are currently in a situation where we are doing software develop here
> at our lab.  This software is then taken to another lab to be integrated with
> other systems while development continues here.
>
> Does anyone know of any set of procedures or utilities for doing multi-site
> revision control?
>
> We are currently using RCS.

Try using Brian Berliner's CVS package on top of RCS.  It includes a facility
to manage vendor software distributions which could possibly used if you
consider the software developed at you lab as a vendor distribution and the
other labs as end users.

Its available on UUNET:

	volume22/cvs-berliner/part[01-07]
	volume22/cvs-berliner/patch1

Hope this helps.
--
Brett M. Bergquist, Principal Engineer | "Remind me" ... "to write an
General DataComm, Inc.,                | "article on the compulsive reading

smd@rehder.larc.nasa.gov (Steve Dahmen) (05/08/91)

Also look into the Multi-Site RCS package developed at TRW and presented
at USENIX (Winter) 1990.  It was set up for multi-site development
--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Steve Dahmen, Systems Analyst                         (804) 864-4519 (W)

smd@rehder.larc.nasa.gov (Steve Dahmen) (05/08/91)

mra@searchtech.com (Michael Almond) writes:
> We are currently in a situation where we are doing software develop here
> at our lab.  This software is then taken to another lab to be integrated with
> other systems while development continues here.
>
> Does anyone know of any set of procedures or utilities for doing multi-site
> revision control?
>
> We are currently using RCS.

You may also want to look into the Multi-Site Development RCS package
written by some folks at TRW and presented at USENIX Winter 1990.
The paper is included in the proceedings.  Unfortunately, I don't
have access right now to the proceedings for further data. My apologies
to the two people whose names escape me!

I have also written a beta version of a large-project interface into
RCS, called LARCS.  We are doing some multi-site development, but
not the way described by the TRW project.  They had it set up to
have a complete set of files at each development site, with parallel
development going on.  In LARCS, everything is (alas) still serial,
but via NFS one can mount a development partition which allows
users to do development work, ie check in and checkout files from
the master machine.  Obviously, this works for local networks, but
might become cumbersome over long distances.

Let me know if you are interested in LARCS, and I can send you the
manpage which has a pretty good description of capabilities.
--