[comp.software-eng] CCITT SDL Tools Information Request

momtahan@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Parham Momtahan) (05/07/91)

I am looking for a graphical editor for CCITT's Functional Specification
and Description Language (SDL) that runs in UNIX/X-windows (Sun or HP)
or in the Macintosh environments.

I am particularly interested in an SDL editor that would allow
customization of the graphical views and generates SDL/text
representation.

I am also interested in any experience you may have in applying such a
tool.

Please email me your responses and I'll summarize.

Parham Momtahan

(Bitnet: momtahan@bnr.ca,  phone: 613-765-4673)

Computing Research Laboratory
Bell-Northern Research Ltd
PO Box 3511, Station C
Ottawa, Ontario, K1Y4H7
Canada.

dsturek@dcs.simpact.com (05/09/91)

In article <6702@bwdls58.bnr.ca>, momtahan@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Parham Momtahan) writes:
> I am looking for a graphical editor for CCITT's Functional Specification
> and Description Language (SDL) that runs in UNIX/X-windows (Sun or HP)
> or in the Macintosh environments.

There is a product from VERILOG called GEODE which may work for you.  It
operates on APOLLO, SUN and HP platforms (I am taking this from their
literature since the version I saw ran on a VAXstation).  I have the following
addresses for VERILOG:

VERILOG S.A.
150, rue Nicolas-Vauquelin
31081 TOULOUSE CEDEX
Tel: (33) 61-40-38-88

VERILOG USA
Beauregard Square
6303 Little River Turnpike
Alexandria, VA  22312
Tel: (703)-354-0371

They also have a product called ASA which does specification modeling and
an excellent test tool called LOGISCOPE (when I looked into these tools,
I considered LOGISCOPE to be the best test tool on the market at the time).

> I am particularly interested in an SDL editor that would allow
> customization of the graphical views and generates SDL/text
> representation.

I believe that the SDL/text representation is produced but I am not sure
about customization.  The demo I saw was a year and a half ago so you may
want to ask them to send  you a product description to see if your
requirements will be met.

> I am also interested in any experience you may have in applying such a
> tool.

We opted not to buy GEODE in favor of Excelerator RTS since SDL was not
requirement for our work.  The product I was most interested in was
LOGISCOPE which I would recommend to anyone looking for a test tool
independant of whether SDL is used (it operated on C language source).

Don Sturek
Simpact and Associates
9210 Sky Park Court
San Diego, CA 92123