[comp.software-eng] Tools Assessment Symposium call for papers

elliot@progress.COM (Elliot Chikofsky) (05/09/91)

Preliminary Announcement  &  Call for Papers

Symposium on
Assessment of Quality Software Development Tools

May 27-29, 1992 - New Orleans, Louisiana

-------

In the last few years, there has been a major renaissance in the availability,
kinds, and scope of software development tools.  The growth of the CASE
umbrella, repository architectures and the widespread use of workstation
technology have changed the nature of tools.  They have also introduced new
levels of complexity in the problem of determining whether tools are making
the development process more effective.  There is no clear and simple way to
go about assessing tools and matching them to the needs of development
organizations.

This Symposium will review the problems of assessing software development
tools, solicit case studies of tool applications and their impact on
productivity, and examine strategies for the evaluation of future tools.
In particular, the symposium will focus on the assessment of tools to assist
with productivity and quality in software development.

Papers appropriate to the symposium are studies of existing tools automating
some task in software design, analysis, implementation, testing or
maintenance.  The program committee invites submission of completed original
papers, not submitted to any other meeting or publication, addressing
(but not limited to) the following areas:

-  Quality Development/Design tools,  CASE environments
-  Quality Analysis tools,  Test/Verification/Validation tools
-  Design Automation tools
-  Prototyping tools
-  Knowledge-based / Expert Systems
-  Program Understanding and Reverse Engineering tools
-  Experience with tool introduction and practical use

-------

Sponsor:  Tulane University

In Cooperation with (pending approval):
   IEEE Computer Society - Technical Committee on Software Engineering (TCSE)

With Assistance:  IBM Systems & Software Education

-------

Information & Registration:
      Judy Lee, IBM  (408) 982-1048

-------

Important Dates:

      - November 27, 1991 - Paper submission deadline
      - February 14, 1992 - Authors notification

-------

Please submit five (5) copies of full papers in English to the Program Chair:
      Ez Nahouraii
      IBM  (798/089)
      6321 San Ignacio Avenue
      San Jose, CA   95119  USA
      (408) 281-5741
      eznah@stlvm7.iinus1.ibm.com

-------

General Conference Chair:
      Dr. J. Browne, U. Texas Austin
      Dr. J. Hassell, Tulane Univ.

Program Chair:
      Ez Nahouraii, IBM

Program Committee:
      D. Belanger, AT&T Bell Labs.
      J. Cameron, LBMS U.K.
      E. Chikofsky, Progress Software
      J. Jenkins, City Univ. London
      C. Lamy, IBM France
      F. Petry, Tulane Univ.
      C. Richter, MCC
      S. Shatz, Univ. Illinois - Chicago
      D. Soni, Siemens
      L. Tripp, Boeing
      others...

jgautier@vangogh.ads.com (Jorge Gautier) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.142950.4515@progress.com> elliot@progress.COM (Elliot  Chikofsky) writes:
>   In the last few years, there has been a major renaissance in the availability,
>   kinds, and scope of software development tools.  The growth of the CASE
>   umbrella, repository architectures and the widespread use of workstation
>   technology have changed the nature of tools.  They have also introduced new
>   levels of complexity in the problem of determining whether tools are making
>   the development process more effective.  There is no clear and simple way to
>   go about assessing tools and matching them to the needs of development
>   organizations.

Don't worry.  Someone will write a tool to assist tool assesment.  :-)

sakkinen@jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (05/14/91)

In article <JGAUTIER.91May9150545@vangogh.ads.com> jgautier@vangogh.ads.com (Jorge Gautier) writes:
>In article <1991May9.142950.4515@progress.com> elliot@progress.COM (Elliot  Chikofsky) writes:
>>   [...]    There is no clear and simple way to
>>   go about assessing tools and matching them to the needs of development
>>   organizations.
>
>Don't worry.  Someone will write a tool to assist tool assesment.  :-)

Cancel the smiley :-)
I have just recently seen such a tool demonstrated.
It has been developed within the ESPRIT project HECTOR.

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
PL 35
SF-40351 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland
          SAKKINEN@FINJYU.bitnet (alternative network address)