[comp.software-eng] Needed: descriptions of large software projects in Ada

oz@nexus.YorkU.CA (Ozan Yigit) (05/12/91)

  [posted on behalf of allan.cobb@ccs.yorku.ca]

  From:	Allan.Cobb@CCS.YorkU.CA
  Date:	Fri, 10 May 91 13:35:00 EDT

  My university, York University in Toronto, Canada, is considering the use
  of Ada for a large database management application, specifically a student
  information system.

  I would greatly appreciate any descriptions (even if brief) of large
  software development projects of "mission critical" systems, which have
  used Ada.  I am interested in why Ada was chosen for the project and
  whether the programmming language and related design methodolgies proven
  successful.  For this purpose, I am interested in all types of
  applications, whether or not they have been undertaken in a university
  environment.

  Please send me any such descriptions by email (allan.cobb@ccs.yorku.ca);
  I shall be happy to post a summary.

  Allan

  +------------------------------------------------------+--------------------+
  | Allan Cobb, Senior Director, Information Technology  | York University    |
  +-------------------------------+----------------------+ Computing & Commun-|
  | Phone: (416) 736-5257, #22690 | FAX: (416) 736-5700  | ication Services   |
  +-----------------------+-------+----------------------+ 4700 Keele Street  |
  | Voice Mail: 736-5292; | Email:                       | North York, Ontario|
  |   specify ext. 22690  |   allan.cobb @ ccs.yorku.ca  | M3J 1P3     Canada |
  +-----------------------+------------------------------+--------------------+

gbooch@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Grady Booch) (05/17/91)

I response to allan's request.

one such project I was involved in was stanfins-r,
a 1million + line application in ada, using a
commercial relational database (on ibm mainframes); the
application was for typical inventory control/accounts
processing on army posts.

the project used rational's development environment for ada work;
we also worked with them to use my oo method.

the project delivered on time, and in budget. based upon the
suggess of the project, at least one other service
cancelled a similar project for its mis needs, and decided to reuse
the stanfins products.

there are some papers by the developer (csc) that I could probably dig
up, if I don't get overwhelmed with requests for it.

egb