[comp.software-eng] CASE tools for the PC

campbell@cc.usu.edu (Russell Anderson) (05/23/91)

I would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a CASE tool to be
used on the PC? I have seen a couple.
	Easycase can be purchased as shareware and it is a toy.
	I have seen a demo of the Iconix on a Mac and it seems good.

Any experience?

Russell Anderson
Campbell Scientific
email: campbell@cc.usu.edu

oman@med.cs.uidaho.edu (05/25/91)

In article <1991May23.163451.47885@cc.usu.edu> campbell@cc.usu.edu (Russell Anderson) writes:
>I would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a CASE tool to be
>used on the PC? I have seen a couple.
>	Easycase can be purchased as shareware and it is a toy.
>	I have seen a demo of the Iconix on a Mac and it seems good.
>
>Any experience?
I've used EasyCASE, TurboCASE, System Architect, MacBubbles, Excelerator,
Info. Eng. Workbench, Anatool, Powertools, Teamwork, and probably 2-3
others.  Here's my opinion:

   TurboCASE is unsurpassed for the Mac, System Architect is very good
   for the Win 3.0 environment because it has embedded SQL, and EasyCASE
   is the best for a DOS environment.

Note, you used the shareware version of EasyCASE: What did you expect?
Try their professional version, it's definitely worth the money (about
$300).  Also, you shouldn't expect much from a DOS-based CASE tool because
you don't have multiple views into the design (like you do with the tools
running on Macs, Win 3.0, OS/2, and X-Windows).

The bottom line is that it's hard to separate the CASE power from the
OS platform -- the more flexible the platform, the more flexible the tool.
The best front-end CASE tools I've seen, run on the Mac or under
X-Windows.  Win 3.0 and OS/2 tools are improving, though.

Paul Oman

--   Paul W. Oman, Ph.D., C.S. Dept., Univ. of Idaho, Moscow, ID, 83843    --
--     em: oman@cs.uidaho.edu    ph: 208-885-6589    fx: 208-885-6645      --

grooke@tcom.stc.co.uk (Gill Rooke) (05/29/91)

>>I would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a CASE tool to be
>>used on the PC?

>I've used EasyCASE, TurboCASE, System Architect, MacBubbles, Excelerator,
>Info. Eng. Workbench, Anatool, Powertools, Teamwork, and probably 2-3
>others.  Here's my opinion:
>
>   TurboCASE is unsurpassed for the Mac, System Architect is very good
>   for the Win 3.0 environment because it has embedded SQL, and EasyCASE
>   is the best for a DOS environment.

And on Unix?

Gil