[comp.software-eng] Quality Cost Info

abrickla@axion.bt.co.uk (Ashley Brickland) (05/30/91)

Hello,
	I'm at present undertaking a research project as the last part of my
M.Sc. degree in Software Engineering. The title of the project is "Quality
Cost Estimation Metrics", and concerns the study and development of finance
based metrics to determine the total cost of quality in terms of conformance
costs and failure costs within a software development environment.
	As the project is only a few days old I would be very greatful
for any comments, points, ideas or references anyone might have about
this area. At
present I have only covered the basics of Quality Cost Models.

		Thanks in advance for any feed-back,
			Marcus Tabberer.
                    (mtabbere@axion.bt.co.uk)

alan@tivoli.UUCP (Alan R. Weiss) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.144631@axion.bt.co.uk> abrickla@axion.bt.co.uk (Ashley Brickland) writes:

>Hello,
>	I'm at present undertaking a research project as the last part of my
>M.Sc. degree in Software Engineering. The title of the project is "Quality
>Cost Estimation Metrics", and concerns the study and development of finance
>based metrics to determine the total cost of quality in terms of conformance
>costs and failure costs within a software development environment.
>	As the project is only a few days old I would be very greatful
>for any comments, points, ideas or references anyone might have about
>this area. At
>present I have only covered the basics of Quality Cost Models.
>
>		Thanks in advance for any feed-back,
>			Marcus Tabberer.
>                    (mtabbere@axion.bt.co.uk)

There's a guy out in Chicago named Wayne Smith who is an acknowledged
guru in the area of real-world Quality Metrics, and he definately
emphasizes financial considerations.  I took a class from Wayne
and he certainly influenced my cost of quality models.  Last I heard
he was attached to the Computer Task Group, a professional search
firm dedicated to computer people (er, headhunters).

Of course, there is always Tom Gilb for inspection metrics.

As our first product comes closer to First Customer Shipment I can
begin to help you with TIVOLI Systems' metrics/measurements and
QA program, which I set up based upon the needs of an entrepreneurial,
ROI-oriented startup company.  (I can't disclose until after the
product ships, and even then I want to write a paper for SOMEBODY
to get some credit!! :-)

Alan R. Weiss                           TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
E-mail: alan@tivoli.com                 6034 West Courtyard Drive,
E-mail: alan@whitney.tivoli.com	        Suite 210
Voice : (512) 794-9070                  Austin, Texas USA  78730
Fax   : (512) 794-0623