[comp.software-eng] quidance obtaining MSCS

wigen@netcom.COM (Patrick L. Wigen) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.130436.7348@Matrix.COM> srm@Matrix.COM (Steve Morris) writes:

>I am interested in your experiences obtaining an MSCS.
>
>        Was it worth it?
>
>        What do you wish you had specialized in?
>
>        What would you do differently?
>
>        Did you obtain it while you were employed full-time?
>        (This is my case... how did it go? In the Raleigh area,
>        none of the three universities offer off-campus broadcasting
>        of classes.)
>
>        Do you wish you would have gone to medical or law school
>        instead?  :*)
>
>And most importantly...
>
>        What other questions should I be asking?

	The most important question I asked was "Is it worth it?". And of
course the answer is maybe. If you just intended to increase your general CS
knowledge or to increase specific knowledge in the area you have worked for
the last 6 years, NO it isn't. Your on-the-job experience very nearly puts you
on the Masters level already and you probably won't get much more money for
your effort.
	However if you are studying in a new area of CS then getting your
MSCS in that specialty is a good way to "change careers".

>Thank you.
>Steve Morris... srm@matrix.com

Your welcome,
Patrick L. Wigen