[comp.software-eng] Practical Training

alesha@auto-trol.com (Alec Sharp) (06/05/91)

I am planning to introduce some formal training for the software
developers in our business unit here and would like information on
things that have worked for you.

I'm interested in hands-on training, where developers are given a
problem to solve, and to solve it well will have to use certain design
and coding techniques, the ones that the particular lesson is about.

After the hands on part, there would be discussion about the
approaches and their advantages and disadvantages.

My initial interest is in high-level and low level design, but I'm
also interested in anything that can help our developers increase
their skill level.

Has anyone done anything like this?  Does anyone know of any
consultants who will come in and organize/train us on this type
of thing?  Does anyone know of public domain lessons/examples we could
do this with?

thanks,

Alec Sharp
--
------Any resemblance to the views of Auto-trol is purely coincidental-----
Don't Reply - Send mail: alesha%auto-trol@sunpeaks.central.sun.com

skrone@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (stuart.krone) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.192303.8772@auto-trol.com> alesha@auto-trol.com (Alec Sharp) writes:

>I am planning to introduce some formal training for the software
>developers in our business unit here and would like information on
>things that have worked for you.
>
>I'm interested in hands-on training, where developers are given a
>problem to solve, and to solve it well will have to use certain design
>and coding techniques, the ones that the particular lesson is about.
>
>After the hands on part, there would be discussion about the
>approaches and their advantages and disadvantages.
>
>My initial interest is in high-level and low level design, but I'm
>also interested in anything that can help our developers increase
>their skill level.
>
>Has anyone done anything like this?  Does anyone know of any
>consultants who will come in and organize/train us on this type
>of thing?  Does anyone know of public domain lessons/examples we could
>do this with?
>
>thanks,
>
>Alec Sharp
>--
>------Any resemblance to the views of Auto-trol is purely coincidental-----
>Don't Reply - Send mail: alesha%auto-trol@sunpeaks.central.sun.com
>Alec Sharp           Auto-trol Technology Corporation
>(303) 252-2229       12500 North Washington Street, Denver, CO 80241-2404

When I first started working for AT&T they sent me to a class
called Initial Designer Training. It's 8 hours a day, five days
a week for 3 months. You take a final exam which lasts two
weeks and it's pass/fire. The final consists of debugging a
program and writting one.

This may be more involved than you are interested in however,
it may be a good model to start with.

If you are interested send e-mail and I'll dig up more info.

Stu

These views are mine, not AT&T's, but they are available for rent

jto@litwin.com (John O'Beck) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.192303.8772@auto-trol.com
alesha@auto-trol.com (Alec Sharp) writes:

>>I am planning to introduce some formal training for the software
>>developers in our business unit here and would like information on
>>things that have worked for you.
>>
>>I'm interested in hands-on training, where developers are given a
>>problem to solve, and to solve it well will have to use certain design
>>and coding techniques, the ones that the particular lesson is about.

I have taken classes from Yourdon (a Kodak company) and the Oracle people.
For generic analysis/design/project management, I can highly recomend the
Yourdon classes.  They offer a range of different classes of different
lengths (and depth).

Oracle's Database Design class is excellent even if you are not using
Oracle.

I know thal Learning Tree offers a very wide range of classes and have
heard good things about them "from a friend of a friend".  They would