[comp.software-eng] explaining to 8-year olds

dalamb@avi.umiacs.umd.edu (David Lamb) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun10.155105.5816@auto-trol.com> mattel@auto-trol.com (Matt Telles) writes:
>In article <KERS.91Jun7134939@cdollin.hpl.hp.com> kers@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Chris Dollin) writes:
>>Could you explain to an 8-year-old:
>>    * that sex is nicer than chocolate [points for identifying source]
> ...  In the above points, with
>the exception of "sex being nicer than chocolate"  (A Heinlein quote if I
>remember right..) I would be happy to explain any of the above to ANYONE over
>the age of 8.  If you can't, as Jim pointed out, you do not understand the
>statement.

I think the reference is to C.S.Lewis, in one of his Christian
apologetics, talking about trying to explain things to someone who
does not have the basis for understanding what you are talking about.

I take the idea of "explaining to an 8-year-old" as a metaphor for
aiming to get across fundamental ideas before details; if you can't
extract what is fundamental, you don't "really" understand the
subject.  But the requirement to communicate to someone else also
presumes your audience shares some basic ideas or concepts on which to
build your explanation.  If they don't, you can spend a *lot* of time
trying to establish those basic concepts.  Isaac Asimov's science
essays are famous for "beginning at the beginning" - starting with
basic ideas pretty far from what he really wants to talk about.