[comp.software-eng] Specification Languages

bks@lima.berkeley.edu (Bradley K. Sherman) (06/15/91)

   I've always found the concept of a "specification language" to be
a bit dubious in the context of the programming projects that I have
been involved in.   I can remember being told by a superior that I
should not have used the word "algorithm" during a meeting that
we had with upper-management types from one of our clients.  What they
would have made of a document written in a synthetic language is
amusing to contemplate.

   Could proponents of the use of specification languages (other
than natural languages) please give doubters like me a little taste
of the art?   I won't ask for a specification for, say, producing and
tracking purchase orders, or for a complicated but well defined function like
qsort().  How about specifying the C function abs() rendered in English
like this:
	abs() returns the absolute value of its integer operand.

-------------------------------------
	Brad Sherman (bks@alfa.berkeley.edu)

History does not repeat but it does rhyme --Mark Twain

orville@weyrich.UUCP (Orville R. Weyrich) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun14.171653.26325@agate.berkeley.edu> bks@lima.berkeley.edu (Bradley K. Sherman) writes:

>   I've always found the concept of a "specification language" to be
>a bit dubious in the context of the programming projects that I have
>been involved in.   I can remember being told by a superior that I
>should not have used the word "algorithm" during a meeting that
>we had with upper-management types from one of our clients.  What they
>would have made of a document written in a synthetic language is
>amusing to contemplate.
>
>   Could proponents of the use of specification languages (other
>than natural languages) please give doubters like me a little taste
>of the art?

How about graphical specification languages like data flow diagrams,
hierarch diagrams, etc.

Non-computer upper management types seem to relate to these fairly well.

Orville R. Weyrich, Jr., Ph.D.                   Certified Systems Professional
Internet: orville%weyrich@uunet.uu.net             Weyrich Computer Consulting
Voice:    (602) 391-0821                         POB 5782, Scottsdale, AZ 85261
Fax:      (602) 391-0023                              (Yes! I'm available)