[comp.software-eng] Definition of 'reuse'

diamond@jit533.swstokyo.dec.com (Norman Diamond) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun14.103725.2765@dit.upm.es> esink@turia.dit.upm.es (Eric Wayne Sink) writes:
>In comp.lang.ada, Jim Showalter contributes to a discussion on
>software reuse :
>>My definition of reuse is quite simple: any time you didn't have to write
>>a line of code, you reused it.
>
>Anyone like to contribute their definition of 'software reuse' ?

Letting the compiler do the copying instead of doing it in the text editor.

>Jim once again exposes his bias by the mere fact that his posting
>appeared in an ada newsgroup.  I admit that I expose my own bias
>by placing the discussion in comp.object.

He probably just participated in a discussion that he saw going on, and
joined the people who were already talking.  Software reuse would be nice
in any language; does that mean that we should cross-post to comp.lang.*?

>Anyone feeling that a wider discussion involving our friends from
>comp.software-eng is encouraged to invite their participation.

OK, I took up your invitation to invite them.  I didn't put them in the
"Followup-To" line because they're probably bored to death with the topic,
but of course they can edit the followups if they like.
--
Norman Diamond       diamond@tkov50.enet.dec.com
Permission is granted to feel this signature, but not to look at it.