[comp.software-eng] Seeking references to source code control systems

dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) (06/21/91)

Howdy!

I'm looking for references to source code control systems.  I'm aware
of SCCS and RCS on Unix systems.  Are there any "syntax-directed" source
code control systems that might, for example, work specifically with
C programs?

References to published papers or brief descriptions of actual software
products would be most appreciated!  I will summarize if there is interest.

Thanks!
--
David Sims, dsims@uceng.uc.edu

alan@cwi.UUCP (Alan Wright ) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.133046.296@uceng.UC.EDU>, dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) writes:
> Howdy!
>
> I'm looking for references to source code control systems.  I'm aware
> of SCCS and RCS on Unix systems.  Are there any "syntax-directed" source
> code control systems that might, for example, work specifically with
> C programs?

By this do you mean language-oriented source control systems, or something
else? By this I mean a system which obtains and utilizes knowledge of the
code (by actually parsing it) to assist with configuration management or
other development tasks. If this is indeed what you have in mind, I would
also like to hear about such systems. I suspect that on the commercial
side the only real progress in this area would involve languages such
as Ada and Eiffel, rather than e.g. C or C++.

> References to published papers or brief descriptions of actual software
> products would be most appreciated!  I will summarize if there is interest.

I'm interested, so please summarize.