[net.micro] Modem hang

ADICKER@F.BBN.COM (05/06/86)

>In article <514@brl-smoke.ARPA> CUDDY%UMKCVAX1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU writes:
>>I have a problem I would appreciate some insight into if possible.
>>I am running asynchronous communications on an PC-AT with an internal Hayes
>>1200B.  When I call up Crosstalk the modem tells me it is already
>>connected to a call.  The modem is set correctly, and has been examined
>>for problems (its fine).  Any ideas on what could be the problem here.
>>I suspect it is in the machine.  A cold reboot frequently clears the
>>problem up, whereas a simple crtl-alt-del does not.
>>
>>Please advise.
>>Thanx for the assistance.
>>cuddy@umkcvax1.bitnet
>How about issuing the command BYE to crosstalk to logout ?

One of the disadvantages of an internal modem is that you can't see (by
your front panel lights) that your modem has kept your phone connection
even though your computer/terminal-emulator has signed off.  The power
on/off (cold boot) turned off your modem as well & lost the connection,
the warm-boot did not.  For hayes compatible modems & other communications
programs (I don't have/know crosstalk) hanging up (crosstalk bye???)
should work, to hang up "manually" within your emulation program - if you
have a hayes compatible modem - enter "+++" wait a sec (it helps if you have
reply mode set on) then enter "ATh0"  - thats a zero at the end not an
oh.   Good luck.   Andy Dicker.
-------

mr@isrnix.UUCP (mr) (05/07/86)

]:[

> to hang up "manually" within your emulation program - if you
> have a hayes compatible modem - enter "+++" wait a sec (it helps if you have
> reply mode set on) then enter "ATh0"  - thats a zero at the end not an
> oh.   Good luck.   Andy Dicker.

to hang up and resurrect the phone "manually" within *DOS*, you can issue
the commands from within a batch file (a sample "HANGUP.BAT"):

ECHO OFF
ECHO HANGING UP MODEM
ECHO ATH > COM1:                              /* OR COM2:
ECHO DONE!

for more on batch file madness with your modem, see PC MAGAZINE 8:5:233-238.

--
                .^.                        michael regoli
                /|\              ...ihnp4!inuxc!isrnix!mr