[comp.software-eng] What is New Wave ?

boussale@loria.crin.fr (Abdelmalek Boussalem) (06/18/91)

Does anybody know what New Wave tool is ? I is very often mentionned
in publications about SW environments but nobody around me knows what it is.
Could you please reply by e-mail.
Thank you very much.

	A. Boussalem
	Alcatel Business Systems
	email : ab@absstbg.uucp

alan@tivoli.UUCP (Alan R. Weiss) (06/23/91)

In article <3991@loria.crin.fr> boussale@loria.crin.fr (Abdelmalek Boussalem) writes:
>Does anybody know what New Wave tool is ? I is very often mentionned
>in publications about SW environments but nobody around me knows what it is.
>Could you please reply by e-mail.
>Thank you very much.
>
>	A. Boussalem
>	Alcatel Business Systems
>	email : ab@absstbg.uucp

(This should perhaps come from a Hewlett-Packard person, but ...
what the hell, its a Saturday so here goes:)

NewWave is an object-oriented environment/graphical user interface
(GUI, pronounced in America "gooey").  Originally built on top
of Microsoft Windows 3.0, it is now available (or will be shortly)
on Unix platforms as well.  NewWave significantly advances
MS-Windows in "look and feel", so much so that the OSF (Open Software
Foundation) chose the look and feel of NewWave for its Motif GUI.

The really exciting part of NewWave is its ability to take ordinary
(DOS) applications and allow them to share data transparently.
It makes MS-Windows' DDE (dynamic data exchange) truly useful
to non-programmers.  While it is NOT a programming language a la C++,
nor an object oriented programming system like SmallTalk (tm),
it is a powerful end-user tool to integrating applications.

This is the Windows Microsoft SHOULD have built, but didn't, so
now Messr. Gates is suing H-P.  Shame!

(Note:  I have no connection whatsoever with the folks at H-P ...
I'm just a fan).

Alan R. Weiss                           TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
E-mail: alan@tivoli.com                 6034 West Courtyard Drive,
E-mail: alan@whitney.tivoli.com	        Suite 210
Voice : (512) 794-9070                  Austin, Texas USA  78730
Fax   : (512) 794-0623   "These are only my thoughts, not my firm's"