[comp.software-eng] need sources about Bachman Info Modelling

biesty@ide.com (Bill Biesty) (06/19/91)

Hi.  I'm having trouble locating articles or books or any other
source that gives information about the Bachman method of data
modelling (also know as information modeling, entity relationship
modelling/diagramming, ER'ing, IM'ing, data analysis, etc.).

I would appreciate it if you could mail/post any references you have.

Thanks.

Bill Biesty

kummer@possum.den.mmc.com (Jim Kummer) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun19.013729.9757@ide.com> biesty@ide.com (Bill Biesty) writes:
>Hi.  I'm having trouble locating articles or books or any other
>source that gives information about the Bachman method of data
>modelling (also know as information modeling, entity relationship
>modelling/diagramming, ER'ing, IM'ing, data analysis, etc.).
>
>I would appreciate it if you could mail/post any references you have.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bill Biesty

Your problem may be one of spelling - the name is Zachman.  The only
reference I have is:   IBM Systems Journal, Vol 26, No 3, 1987.

--

-- Regards ----- James Kummer --- Martin Marietta Corporation --
----- kummer@pogo.den.mmc.com --- Information and Communication Systems --

duncan@ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun20.184200.3208@den.mmc.com> kummer@possum.den.mmc.com (Jim Kummer) writes:
>In article <1991Jun19.013729.9757@ide.com> biesty@ide.com (Bill Biesty) writes:
>>Hi.  I'm having trouble locating articles or books or any other
>>source that gives information about the Bachman method of data
>>modelling (also know as information modeling, entity relationship
>>modelling/diagramming, ER'ing, IM'ing, data analysis, etc.).

>Your problem may be one of spelling - the name is Zachman.  The only
>reference I have is:   IBM Systems Journal, Vol 26, No 3, 1987.

Well, there are the commercial data modeling/reengineering tools from Bachman
Information Systems.  The company was started many years ago by Charles Bach-
man who is known for his work before that in data models and database research.
Bachman has a style of Entity-Relationship modeling which differs from the
original Chen proposals.  THis has been incorporated into the various Bachman
products.

So there is a "Bachman method of data modelling."  My only source of informa-
tion on the Bachman model has been from vugraphs at presentations made by he
and representatives of his company at a couple conferences.  (Nothing publish-
ed that I have knowledge of -- though there may be somewhere.)

On the other hand, John Zachman (of IBM's LA Scientific Center) has been a
proponent of a style of information systems analysis/modeling for many years.
It has nothing specifically to do with styles of diagrams, etc. but is more
related to the architectural aspects of information systems design.  John's
approach is to relate architectural approaches from other engineering domains
to software.  He's a very entertaining speaker who makes his points quite
clearly, i.e., it is easy to know what he is claiming about his position.

I do not know that anything other than the article mentioned above has been
published.  I have seen John several times at conferences.  I also know he
has begun the seminar/workshop route as I have seen his name in conjunction
with a couple over the past year.

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (908-699-3910 (w)   609-452-9054 (h))

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (06/25/91)

You can find extensive bibliographies for data modelling, plus E-R and
Bachman diagrams (along with a basic introduction to data modelling) in
any good database text.  I would recommend either McFadden & Hoffer
_Database Management_, 3e, Benjamin Cummings, 1991, ISBN 0-8053-6040-9
or Date _An Introduction to Database Systems_, Volume 1, 5e, Addison
Wesley, 1990, ISBN 0-201-51381-1.

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */