[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript fonts for Japanese characters ?

hirai@swatsun (Eiji "A.G." Hirai) (12/18/87)

Hi:

	Umm, I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but
are there any Postscript fonts for Japanese characters?  I don't think
it would be too much of a hassle to define some katakana fonts and
hiragana fonts.  I wouldn't expect anyone to define all the kanji fonts.

	Any pointers or references will be eargerly gobbled up and eaten
with relish. :-)  Please reply!

						-a.g. hirai
--
Eiji "A.G." Hirai @ Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081 | Tel. 215-543-9855
UUCP:   {rutgers, ihnp4, cbosgd}!bpa!swatsun!hirai |  "All Cretans are liars."

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (12/18/87)

I too would be interested in any ways available to print and/or display Kanji and kana
on PostScript printers, Sun workstations, Macs, etc., without having to purchase custom
hardware.

Herb Lison

mjr@osiris.UUCP (Marcus J. Ranum) (12/21/87)

In article <10441@emerald.BBN.COM>, hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) writes:
> I too would be interested in any ways available to print and/or display
>Kanji and kana

	The Hershey fonts come with several large files of bitmapped "oriental"
fonts. Unfortunately none of them are mapped to character equivalences, and I
don't know my way around the alphabets enough to do this. The Hershey fonts
also come with tools for converting the bitmaps into PostScript-able fonts,
etc, etc, etc.

	If you want the Hershey stuff, you might want to post to
comp.sources.wanted or make arrangements to get 'em from me somehow. It's
not proprietary stuff, for a few odd reasons.

	Note - for you laser-lovers, the Hershey fonts also include several
sets of map symbols, dingbats, and European fonts, including old english,
script fonts, cyrillic, etc. If you have TRANSCRIPT source code, I can also
send you notes on the mods to the Makefiles, ditroff, etc, that I made to
allow us to use them all with ditroff. Main disadvantage is - it is slow as
hell to download 12Kb of font before your file...  Output is lovely, though.
Technical papers have a certain "je ne sais quoi" when printed in odd fonts...

--mjr();
--
Once, there was NO fun...
This was before MENU planning, FASHION statements or NAUTILUS equipment...

hirayama@suvax1.UUCP (Pat Hirayama) (12/22/87)

in article <10441@emerald.BBN.COM>, hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) says:

> I too would be interested in any ways available to print and/or display Kanji and kana
> on PostScript printers, Sun workstations, Macs, etc., without having to purchase custom
> hardware.

Well, it might not help you, but the Kawasaki font (Mac) found on MacTheKnife
vol 2 does have katakana.  Though the quality of the font is not of correspon-
dence quality, it might serve to make posters/signs/quick memos/etc.

Further, you could take a font editor, like FONTastic and move around the
kana until it conforms to the Japan Standard keyboard.

-------------

It's a start

					- Pat Hirayama
					- Seattle University

lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) (12/22/87)

In article <1483@osiris.UUCP> mjr@osiris.UUCP (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>	If you want the Hershey stuff, you might want to post to
>comp.sources.wanted or make arrangements to get 'em from me somehow. It's

And here's another way to get them -- by email from the csnet info-server.
Here is an index provided by the server, with instruction on how to
send requests to it:

Request: mod.sources
Topic: index-volume4
Updated:  5 Feb 87
CSNET Coordination and Information Center (CIC) 	 Hotline: 617/497-2777
10 Moulton Street                                        Email:  cic@sh.cs.net
Cambridge, MA 02238             Info-Server requests to: info-server@sh.cs.net

                         MOD.SOURCES  INDEX-VOLUME4
                          ALL TOPICS AND SUBTOPICS

Mod.sources topics come in three varieties:

        1)  Complete in one file.
                Example: 'dither'
        2)  A set of files corresponding to subtopics.
                Example: 'bourne' (set of 9 files)
        3)  A single file, corresponding to a subtopic.
            (You might want to request this if you have an incomplete set.)
                Example: 'smallc/Part3'

You may request an indefinite number of topics and subtopics in one message.
To request these three examples, send the following message.  (You may use
either upper or lower case letters.)

        To: info-server@sh.cs.net

        Request: mod.sources
        Topic: dither
        Topic: bourne
        Topic: smallc/Part3
        Request: end

The 'bourne' topic returns 9 subtopics in separate messages, each with a
length of 60K bytes or less.  The other two topics each return one message.
You also receive a query receipt message, so this request causes the
Info-Server to send you a total of 12 messages.

This index for mod.sources, volume4, Topic: 'index-volume4',
lists all topics and subtopics.

There is also a condensed and combined index, 'Topic: index', for all
mod.sources available from the CSNET Info-Server, which lists only the
topics.

Topic        Vol  Subject                                                  Size

index             CSNET Info-Server condensed index
index-volume4  4  CSNET index-volume4                                         K
68kupdate      4  Patches to make MC68000 disassembler work on SUN UNIX    44 K
ISO_Pascal     4  Yacc and Lex for ISO Level 0 Pascal                      15 K
Index4         4  mod.sources Index and archive access                     18 K
LastIndex4     4  mod.sources Index and archive access                     15 K
TVX2           4  1st batch of TVX Bug fixes                                6 K
bm1.2          4  bm version 1.2 (blindingly fast "fgrep")                 25 K
bm1.2speedup   4  speedup for bm on some machines                           3 K
browser        4  Amiga file browser                                       20 K
chuni          4  chuni.c - change a users default universe (Pyramid speci  6 K
client_man     4  Client/server context diffs to 4.2BSD man.c              17 K
client_server  4  Generic client and server commands for 4.2BSD            19 K
egrep          4  egrep - More Pep for Boyer-Moore Grep                    27 K
match1.2       4  Match 1.2 - Fast grep for Vaxen                          26 K
nrtable        4  compile/decompile nroff driver tables (USG only)         46 K
nums           4  list-of-numbers generator                                10 K
rcsit2         4  new version of rcsit(1) - prepare files for RCS          22 K
regexp3        4  2nd bug fix for regexp(3), in regsub()                    1 K
regexp4        4  regexp(3) improvement                                     2 K
rlogin         4   4.2bsd rlogin enhancements                              40 K
rpt            4  A program called 'rpt'                                    4 K
settz          4  time conversion / time zone system                       64 K
shortc         4  shortc - C program to map flexnames into short identifie  7 K
shortc2        4  shortc - sed output, and standard input                   4 K
sim2           4  Software similarity tester for C programs                10 K
simplex        4  Simplex Curve Fitting Algorithm in C                     12 K
subnet.ARP     4  4.3BSD IP subnet ARP hack                                13 K
tm_to_time     4  tm_to_time(3) -- convert broken-down time into time_t.    4 K
68kdisassem/Part1  unc - 68000 disassembler                                 42 K
68kdisassem/Part2  unc - 68000 disassembler (Part 2 of 2)                   64 K
68kdisassem    4  unc - 68000 disassembler (P (2 files)
Hershey/Part1     Hershey Fonts, Part 1 of 5                               38 K
Hershey/Part2     Hershey Fonts, Part 2 of 5                               60 K
Hershey/Part3     Hershey Fonts, Part 3 of 5                               64 K
Hershey/Part4     Hershey Fonts, Part 4 of 5                               60 K
Hershey/Part5     Hershey Fonts, Part 5 of 5                               60 K
Hershey        4  Hershey Fonts,  (5 files)
Msg/Fmtd1         Msg docs preformatted (part 1 of 2)                      26 K
Msg/Fmtd2         Msg docs preformatted (part 1 of 2)                      56 K
Msg/Part0         The Msg Mail System Intro (+ moderators notes)            3 K
Msg/Part1         Msg Shar.part.1  Part 1 of 8                             60 K
Msg/Part2         Msg Shar.part.2  Part 2 of 8                             68 K
Msg/Part3         Msg Shar.part.3  Part 3 of 8                             68 K
Msg/Part4         Msg Shar.part.4  Part 4 of 8                             68 K
Msg/Part5         Msg Shar.part.5  Part 5 of 8                             68 K
Msg/Part6         Msg Shar.part.6  Part 6 of 8                             64 K
Msg/Part7         Msg Shar.part.7  Part 7 of 8                             68 K
Msg/Part8         Msg  Part 8 of 8                                         13 K
Msg            4  Msg   (11 files)
TVX/Hello         New TVX                                                   2 K
TVX/Part1         tvx  Part 1 of 10                                         2 K
TVX/Part2         tvx  Part 2 of 10                                        44 K
TVX/Part3         tvx  Part 3 of 10                                        42 K
TVX/Part4         tvx  Part 4 of 10                                        45 K
TVX/Part5         tvx  Part 5 of 10                                        60 K
TVX/Part6         tvx  Part 6 of 10                                        56 K
TVX/Part7         tvx  Part 7 of 10                                        60 K
TVX/Part8         tvx  Part 8 of 10                                        45 K
TVX/Part9         tvx  Part 9 of 10                                        64 K
TVX/Part10        tvx  Part 10 of 10                                       56 K
TVX            4  tvx  Pa (11 files)
UNaXcess/Part1    UNaXcess (unix bulletin board)  Part 1 of 3              56 K
UNaXcess/Part2    UNaXcess (unix bulletin board)  Part 2 of 3              56 K
UNaXcess/Part3    UNaXcess (unix bulletin board)  Part 3 of 3              42 K
UNaXcess       4  UNaXcess (unix bulletin board)   (3 files)
hershey.f77/Part1  Hershey Fonts in Fortran 77  Part 1 of 2                 19 K
hershey.f77/Part2  Hershey Fonts in Fortran 77  Part 2 of 2                 68 K
hershey.f77    4  Hershey Fonts in Fortran 77   (2 files)
rolodex/Part1     rolodex database program --  part 1 of 3                 22 K
rolodex/Part2     rolodex database program --  part 2 of 3                 64 K
rolodex/Part3     rolodex database program --  part 3 of 3                 68 K
rolodex        4  rolodex database program --   (3 files)
spellfix/Part1    The ultimate spelling checker, part 1 of 2               60 K
spellfix/Part2    The ultimate spelling checker, part 2 of 2               31 K
spellfix       4  The ultimate spelling checker,  (2 files)
uEmacs/Part1      MicroEmacs   Part 1 of 6                                 60 K
uEmacs/Part2      MicroEmacs   Part 2 of 6                                 47 K
uEmacs/Part3      MicroEmacs   Part 3 of 6                                 64 K
uEmacs/Part4      Microemacs   Part 4 of 6                                 60 K
uEmacs/Part5      MicroEmacs   Part 5 of 6                                 27 K
uEmacs/Part6      MicroEmacs   Part 6 of 6                                 37 K
uEmacs         4  MicroEmacs    (6 files)