[net.micro] PD Comm package: a resolution

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (04/28/86)

Wait! Stop! ...and many thanks to the quad-zillions that responded to my
request for a decent PD communications package: nearly everyone recommended
PROCOMM Version 2.30. I got my hands on a copy and, sure 'nuf, it works
like a champ. *ALL* of the emulators behave themselves, the user interface is
wonderful (as per previous versions), 99% of the bugs and complaints I and
others had are fixed, and the transfer package all work.

Now I can put my 3+ diskettes that I have holding bits and pieces of other,
faulty, comm packages back to use. Thanks to all who responded. If you
didn't get a personal response back from me, I apologize...there was just too
many to keep up with....

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

          "If you can't trust wimp lawyers anymore,
                 who can you trust...?"
                        -- Mildred Krebs

ljz@well.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) (05/08/86)

In article <2158@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>Wait! Stop! ...and many thanks to the quad-zillions that responded to my
>request for a decent PD communications package: nearly everyone recommended
>PROCOMM Version 2.30. I got my hands on a copy and, sure 'nuf, it works
>like a champ. *ALL* of the emulators behave themselves, the user interface is
>wonderful (as per previous versions), 99% of the bugs and complaints I and
>others had are fixed, and the transfer package all work.

Wait!  Stop!  Be careful with PROCOMM 2.30's terminal emulation.  I found
that the VT100 and the TVI-912/920 *still* didn't work quite right all
the time.  Using 'vi' under Unix, the cursor would sometimes get confused
and leave you placed on a line you really weren't on.  This wasn't always
obvious and sometimes I'd delete the wrong line, only to find out too
late.

It seems to have something to do with the cursor-positioning algorithm.

Using the exact same 'termcap' and TERM on the exact same Unix system
with Crosstalk (for TVI-912/920) and PC-VT (for VT100), this didn't
happen.

Be careful!

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (05/08/86)

In article <1046@well.UUCP> ljz@well.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) writes:
>In article <2158@uwmacc.UUCP> demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>>PROCOMM Version 2.30... works like a champ. *ALL* of the emulators behave
>>themselves...
>
>Wait!  Stop!  Be careful with PROCOMM 2.30's terminal emulation.  I found
>that the VT100 and the TVI-912/920 *still* didn't work quite right all
>the time.  Using 'vi' under Unix, the cursor would sometimes get confused
>and leave you placed on a line you really weren't on.  This wasn't always
>obvious and sometimes I'd delete the wrong line, only to find out too
>late.

   Well, I found a work-around to Lloyd's problem, though I use the
vt100 emulation.  Seems that if you use ProComm's screen set-up menu
(alt-S) to set line-wrap OFF, vi works fine.  However, certain *other*
screen-oriented applications (serious stuff like mille, cribbage, and
robots) seem to work only when line-wrap is ON.  So, with the minor
inconvenience of turning line-wrap ON for those few and far between
times when playing games, Procomm is still the best PD (or otherwise)
IBM PC communications program.

 - Joel Plutchak
   uucp: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster
   ARPA: uwvax!uwmacc!oyster@rsch.wisc.edu

This message brought to you courtesy of an IBM PC running Procomm.