[comp.lang.postscript] Imagemask command from ps gives error.

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (03/04/88)

Sometimes when printing out documents which incorporate object-orientated
graphics from word-proccessors on the Mac (inc. Word 3.01, & possibly Write
Now & MacWrite), the LaserWriter Plus responds w/ the error:
	Offending Postscript command: Imagemask.

What coases this, & is there any way to get around it.

We're printing from MacPluses w/ 20meg hard drives (Apples, I think).

To remain compatable w/ the systems on disks we lend out, which haven't
enough room for the latest system, we have 3.2 on the Laser systems.
The LaserWriter & LaserPrep's are 4.0.

|==-==--==---==----==-----==------==-------==------==-----==----==---==--==-==|
|                         #include <disclamers.h>                             |
|	 James H. Cloos, Jr.	   	      "I *HATE* quotations"	      |
|       cloos@crnlthry.BITNET                          	-Ralph Waldo Emerson  |
|       cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu.ARPA           -(emphasis added)     |
|      {allegra,decvax,ihnp4,vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!cloos                |
|==-==--==---==----==-----==------==-------==------==-----==----==---==--==-==|

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (03/07/88)

In article <3935@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cloos@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
>Sometimes when printing out documents which incorporate object-orientated
>graphics from word-proccessors on the Mac (inc. Word 3.01, & possibly Write
>Now & MacWrite), the LaserWriter Plus responds w/ the error:
>	Offending Postscript command: Imagemask.
>
>What coases this, & is there any way to get around it.

I was told by a friend that this is perhaps caused by poor memory allocation
in the LW, and that you must power cycle (not just initialize) the LW to clear
out its internal memory.  The idea is that things tend to build up in the LW
without getting purged.  Power cycling of course clears EVERYTHING.

I did so when I was having such a problem, and everything worked out just fine.
It's not just Word 3.01; other applications also failed printing the same
graphics when I was having this problem.

I also suppose that some LWs may or may not have the same problem depending
on the Postscript release level of the ROMs.

Any comments from Apple?
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."