[comp.lang.postscript] Posting schematics...

magnani@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Steven Magnani EE) (03/09/88)

(I have added comp.lang.postscript to the discussion to get sone
feedback on this idea. Note that followups go to sci.electronics --SJM)

The problem:

In article <1059@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> phd@SPEECH1.CS.CMU.EDU (Paul Dietz) writes:
>A recurring problem in this news group [sci.electronics] is the need to post
>readable schematics. ASCII circuit representations are just too painful to
>create, and are quite inflexible.
>
>WE NEED A STANDARD FOR EXCHANGE OF SCHEMATICS!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>Optimally, any standard would have interfaces on many standard
>hardware configurations. (Mac, PC's, Xwindows, GKS, UNIX Plot, etc.)
>Also, for those stuck with standard, non-graphics terminals, a human
>readable form should be generated as a side effect.
>
>Proposal: If I get sufficient feedback, I will start posting schematics
>in binhexed MacPaint format. For you Macintosh hackers, this is a familiar
>format. I've also heard rumor that various PC programs read MacPaint files.

>Max Hauser / max@eros.berkeley.edu / ...{!decvax}!ucbvax!eros!max

A proposed soultion:

If one is talking about exchanging graphics only (ie, not an actual
circuit description, such as SPICE or MAGIC could deal with), a graphics
description language such as PostScript ((tm) Adobe Systems) or
Interpress ((tm) Xerox) might be useful. These files may be stored in
ASCII format (perfect for E-mail interchange!), and may be interpreted
by programs on widely differing systems. Translation programs exist
to go between PostScript/Interpress and other graphics description
languages (such as HPGL). Also, PostScript-type printers
such as the LaserWriter are becoming more common, so even if a
particular site has no tools for displaying the schematic on the screen,
a hard copy may be generated. Since the Mac tools are capable of
generating PostScript output (correct me on this...) this might be a
better idea than posting binary files.

One disadvantage of this scheme that *I* can think of is that the
PostScript files may not be easily edited. It sounds like MacPaint
stores its files in binary format, in which case it is probably unable
to accept PostScript files as input. FrameMaker ((tm) Frame Technology) is
another such graphics editor. There are editors which *can* handle input
like this, but I am not sure how widely available they are. The bottom
line, I suppose, is that unless the E-mailed copies are able to be
edited, only the original designer of a circuit would be able to post
his drawing. There would be no way for anyone else to make changes in
the circuit without redrawing it from scratch.

Is this a real problem, or not? Are there other serious shortcomings to
this approach?

 Steven J. Magnani               "I claim this network for MARS!
                                  Earthling, return my space modulator!"
 {_the_world_}!ihnp4!msudoc!magnani
 With a domain server:  magnani@msudoc.egr.msu.EDU