[comp.lang.postscript] DI-POSTSCRIPT converter

dorf@ingr.UUCP (David Dorfmueller) (03/08/88)

I am looking for a ditroff-to-postscript converter.  Does this exist and
where can I get a copy of it?   Thanks in advance.

David Dorfmueller			{ihnp4,uunet}!ingr!dorf
Intergraph/CR1104			(205) 772-6162
One Madison Ind. Park
Huntsville, AL 35807

brianc@daedalus (Brian Colfer) (03/10/88)

In article <1995@ingr.UUCP> dorf@ingr.UUCP (David Dorfmueller) writes:

>I am looking for a ditroff-to-postscript converter.  Does this exist and
>where can I get a copy of it?   Thanks in advance.

David,
I have had experience with several converters.  The one which comes
from Adobe is called Transcript and works pretty well for almost all
flavors of troff/ditroff.  Plus it has some other utilities such as
a couple for converting ascii and Tektronix-4014 to PostScript.

	A couple of others are Eroff and devps which do a good job and are
less expensive.  Xroff also does the job plus uses downloadable xroff fonts.
This is nice if you have an old LaserWriter and can't get someone to
spring for the hardware upgrade but can get the software.

	The one I prefer is postsc which like the others fundamentally is a
dvi to postscript postprocessor.  Unlike the others it allows passing
PostScript commands through ditroff to generate postscript images,
modify ditroff text with PostScript, or do anything you can do with
PostScript.  One of the nice things I use it for is to mix Landscape and
Portrait text on a single page.  Its fairly easy to use... No MacIntosh
but better than troff.

The people at Pegasystems who wrote postsc are friends of mine and I
think they did a fine job.

I'd be glad to send anyone a man page and respond to specific
questions about my experience with postsc via e-mail.

Alternatively you can contact JW at Pegasystems below:
Ordering and other Information:

Pegasystems
1107 Springvalley Common
Livermore CA 94550
(415) 443-7439

             : UC San Francisco            : brianc@daedalus.ucsf.edu
Brian Colfer : Dept. of Lab. Medicine      : ...!ucbvax!cgl!brianc
             :  PH. 415-476-2325           : brianc@ucsfcca.bitnet