[comp.lang.postscript] postscript fonts from bitmaps ?

rohlicek@bbn.com (Robin Rohlicek) (03/16/88)

I am interested in (semi-) automatically generating scalable
postscript fonts from bitmaps.  Specifically, I would like to take the
bitmap metafont output and scanned hand-created fonts and make
postscript spline outlines.

Has anyone looked at this problem lately?  A recall a paper I read
several years ago from Xerox PARC (I think) which looked at a similar
problem (using a dynamic programming algorithm for knot placement).
Does anyone have any information that might help?

Thanks,
	Robin Rohlicek.

hburford@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (03/17/88)

In article <22148@bbn.COM> rohlicek@bbn.com (Robin Rohlicek) writes:
>I am interested in (semi-) automatically generating scalable
>postscript fonts from bitmaps.  Specifically, I would like to take the
>bitmap metafont output and scanned hand-created fonts and make
>postscript spline outlines.

Robin:
You might want to give Z-Softs Type Foundry a look.  They provide an
editor that runs in a microsoft Windows environment on a PC that
lets you edit either bit or outline fonts.   There are also
programs included to allow you to convert between the formats.
Interesting way to make Laserjet fonts from a Postscript outline
or vice-versa.
Good-Luck

--
Harry Burford - NCR E & M Wichita, Printer Engineering
PHONE:   316-688-8016

rce229@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/18/88)

> I am interested in (semi-) automatically generating scalable
> postscript fonts from bitmaps.

There are two companies in the Macintosh world that claim to
have programs to convert bitmaps into Postscript object-oriented
descriptions: Silicon Beach Software and and T/Maker (I think).

These might help in producing the character description part
of the font.

A longer but tested method is to trace (on a Macintosh) the
scanned images into Postscript using Adobe Illustrator or
Fontographer (by Altsys).  The latter program will generate
all the Postscript to go along with the descriptions; if
you use Illustrator you need to write it all yourself.  Illustrator,
however, makes much nicer looking curves (which is why I had
to use it for two fonts I converted).

I don't know if any of these tasks can be accomplished without
these Macintosh programs.

- Rob
  rce229@uxa.cso.uiuc.cso