[comp.lang.postscript] Adobe Fonts for troff

paul@ardent.UUCP (Paul Ausick) (03/18/88)

I'm considering the puchase of some additional fonts for our LW Pluses and
would like some information about using the fonts with ditroff.

Currently we use the devps software from Pipeline Associates to translate
the ditroff output to PostScript for the LW+.  If we buy more fonts from
Adobe, how do I get the troff font width files?  If I understand what little
I've seen in print about the way Adobe now sells fonts, the fonts are shipped
as binary files, not ASCII text and can only be used with a Mac or a PC?
Izzat so?

In the same vein, is there some way to connect a hard disk to the LW+ to
store fonts?  Downloading fonts with each job gets too slow, I understand,
when more than a couple of fonts are sent along with a job.  Any experience
or ideas?  I don't want to buy the new SX-based LaserWriters.  The printing
engine may give blacker blacks, but it also gives fatter type.  The type
looks terrible in my judgment, so we're sticking with the LW+

Sorry if this sounds confused, but I'm confused.  I want to purchase some
more fonts, but I need to be assured that I can use them with ditroff and
not just the Mac.

Reply to me and I'll post summary.   Thanks very much.
--
/Paul Ausick
Ardent Computer Corporation

tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) (03/20/88)

In article <330@ardent.UUCP>, paul@ardent.UUCP (Paul Ausick) writes:
> I'm considering the puchase of some additional fonts for our LW Pluses and
> would like some information about using the fonts with ditroff.
>
> Currently we use the devps software from Pipeline Associates to translate
> the ditroff output to PostScript for the LW+.  If we buy more fonts from
> Adobe, how do I get the troff font width files?

Devps includes some postscript programs to extract the font
width tables from the printer.  You must first download the
fonts manually, then send down the program to the printer to
extract the width table.  Install the binary font in
/usr/lib/font/devps/down...It's all in the devps documentation.

--
Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks