[comp.lang.postscript] GreyBar Postscript Program anyone ?

wpnst@cisunx.UUCP (Bill 'Deus' Nixon) (03/23/88)

At our site we currently have one Xerox 9700 laser printer and four Dec
LPS40 laser printer (Postscript).  On the x97, there is a way to have
the page printed with an overlay of grey shaded bars every other inch on
the page horizontally.

I know very little Postscript, but would like to be able to prepend a
file to a existing Postscript file that would add the grey bars like on
the x97.

Is it possible ?  If so, could one of you wizards write one and post
it ?

Thanks,

Bill Nixon
--
Bill 'Deus' Nixon  		One of the Univ. Of Pgh  ZETS !
mail :	wpnst@pittvms.BITNET

kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (03/24/88)

In article <7978@cisunx.UUCP> wpnst@cisunx.UUCP (Bill 'Deus' Nixon) writes:

>At our site we currently have one Xerox 9700 laser printer and four Dec
>LPS40 laser printer (Postscript).  On the x97, there is a way to have
>the page printed with an overlay of grey shaded bars every other inch on
>the page horizontally.
>
>I know very little Postscript, but would like to be able to prepend a
>file to a existing Postscript file that would add the grey bars like on
>the x97.
[ text deleted ]

Bill, the following PostScript routine may do what you want.  Just load
the routine ahead of you other files and put the word "graybar" at the
top of each page.  The shade of gray can be set by modifying the line:

			0.95 setgray...

between 0 (black) and 1 (white).

					Ken Keirnan

--------------------------  CUT HERE ----------------------------
% graybar - Place a 1 inch gray bar at 2 inch intervals on a page.
%           This routine should be run at the start of each page.
/graybar {
	gsave
	currentgray
	0.95 setgray	% set gray level to light gray
	1 2 9 {		% loop for 1 to 9 step 2
		/V exch 72 mul def	% convert each step to inches
		0 V moveto		% move to lower left corner
		0 72 rlineto		% draw a rectangle 1 X 8 1/2 inches
		612 0 rlineto
		0 -72 rlineto
		closepath
		fill	% fill the rectangle with gray
	} for
	0 0 moveto	% back to the origin
	setgray		% restore gray level (saved with currentgray)
	grestore
} def

    |  Ken Keirnan        Pacific Bell - Minicomputer Support Staff  |
    | old    {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg,dual,pyramid}!ptsfa!pbhyf!kjk       |
    | new   {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg,dual,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk      |