[comp.lang.postscript] NeWS Port

jeff@kitrain.uucp (Jeff mcgough) (03/10/88)

Can anyone tell me if NeWS has been ported to any other machines
other than Sun. If so please let me know what machines...

Thanks in advance....

Jeffrey B. McGough

...wucs2!kitrain!jeff
Krohm Int
3535 Broadway
ste 412
KCMO 64111
(816) 931-3900

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/17/88)

Sure.  It's been done one the Silicon Graphics.  I also hear
rumors of it's availability on Mac II's.  Some SUN employee
managed to get is Atari to speak some version of NeWS as well.

-Ron

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/18/88)

From a letter that came with NeWS 1.1 Beta...

    "Third parties have ported NeWS to the Amiga, Atari ST, Apollo
    DN3000, the HP9000, and other platforms"

-Ron

martin@lakesys.UUCP (Martin Wiedmeyer) (03/19/88)

In article <Mar.17.16.42.15.1988.13175@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>From a letter that came with NeWS 1.1 Beta...
>
>    "Third parties have ported NeWS to the Amiga, Atari ST, Apollo
>    DN3000, the HP9000, and other platforms"

	Very interesting. Does anyone know who the third party might be who has
ported NeWS to the ST? I know a number of folk who may be interested in
obtaining it.

	Marty Wiedmeyer

--
|	Marty Wiedmeyer				                           |
|       Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                                        |

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/22/88)

I don't know about third parties, but at the time of the NeWS
kickoff some Sun employee had it mostly working on an ST.

-Ron

vita@macbeth.steinmetz (Mark F. Vita) (03/25/88)

In article <220@kitrain.uucp> jeff@kitrain.uucp (Jeff mcgough) writes:
>Can anyone tell me if NeWS has been ported to any other machines
>other than Sun. If so please let me know what machines...

According to a recent article in MacWEEK, there are two NeWS servers
being ported to the Macintosh II: a Mac OS version from Wedge
Computer of Cambridge, MA [(617) 891-1313] and a A/UX version from
Grasshopper Group of San Francisco, CA [(415) 668-5998].

----
Mark Vita                              ARPA: vita@ge-crd.ARPA
General Electric Company               UUCP: vita@desdemona.steinmetz.UUCP
Corporate R & D                              vita@desdemona.steinmetz.ge.com