[comp.lang.postscript] images in Postscript

franco@alberta.UUCP (Franco Carlacci) (03/26/88)

 Here's my Problem:

     The troff facility at our installation can generate
     Pstscript code. I have raster image which I would
     like to include in my text. Is there   pre-processor
     somewhere out there that will allow my to include
     my image. I have a program which can convert the
     raster to Postscript code but I have no idea how to
     merge this code with the one produce by troff. Any
     help would be appreciated.

                          Franco

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/26/88)

Trevor Darrell wrote a program called psfig that does this.  It
uses the passthrough option to ditroff and you need to make a small
hack to psdit (the adobe ditroff driver) to make it work.

-Ron

kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (03/27/88)

In article <1157@pembina.UUCP> franco@alberta.UUCP (Franco Carlacci) writes:

> Here's my Problem:
>
>     The troff facility at our installation can generate
>     Pstscript code. I have raster image which I would
>     like to include in my text. Is there   pre-processor
>     somewhere out there that will allow my to include
>     my image. I have a program which can convert the
>     raster to Postscript code but I have no idea how to
>     merge this code with the one produce by troff. Any
>     help would be appreciated.
>
>                          Franco

Franco, since you didn't mention what text formatter you are using and
by what method you are generating PostScript output, I offer the following:

There was a "ditroff" preprocessor called "psfig" posted to the net a while
back that allows inclusion of PostScript figures (designs, images, etc.)
and passthrough of PostScript code fragments to achieve special effects. The
package is excellent, but (as of the time it was posted) only works with
the "psdit" ditroff to PostScript translator which is part of Adobe's
TransScript package, AND (a big and) requires access to the psdit source code,
AND (another big one) requires AT&T's Documentors Work Bench (DWB) 2.0 or
equivilant (the formatter must recognize the "\X" escape).

If you are using TeX, I remember some mention of a macro package being
available from the psfig authors to accomplish the same effect as psfig, but
I don't remember any details.

I don't have the Adobe TransScript package, but I am currently using psfig
with "devps", another ditroff to PostScript postprocessor from Pipeline
Associates in New York.  I had to write a pre-postprocessor Rube Goldberg
program to go between ditroff and devps, and the result is usually
acceptable, but as soon as I get the source to devps I'll do a real job of it.
In fairness to Pipeline Associates, I should mention that their product
already has capabilities for inclusion of PostScript figures and PostScript
code passthrough, but it isn't quite as elegant as psfig (In my opinion).

I apologize for not having the e-mail address for the authors of psfig, but
perhaps the following will help:

	Ned Batchelder* and Trevor Darrell
	Computer and Information Science Department
	University of Pennsylvania
	200 South 33rd Street
	Philadelphia, PA  19104

	* Neds current address:

	Digital Equipment Corporation
	129 Parker Street
	PK03-1/K90
	Maynard, MA  01754

Perhaps someone else on the net can give you more information.

					Ken Keirnan
--

--------
Ken Keirnan -- Pacific Bell -- {ihnp4,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (03/27/88)

From article <1157@pembina.UUCP>, by franco@alberta.UUCP (Franco Carlacci):

>      The troff facility at our installation can generate
>      Pstscript code. I have raster image which I would
>      like to include in my text...

The inclusion of PostScript images *and* bitmap graphic images
is fully supported by an enhanced diTroff package called EROFF
from:
	Elan Computer Group, Inc.
	410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A
	Palo Alto, CA 94306
	415-322-2450
--
Ken Greer
Elan Computer Group, Inc.

brianc@daedalus (Brian Colfer) (03/29/88)

In article <1157@pembina.UUCP> franco@alberta.UUCP (Franco Carlacci) writes:

> Here's my Problem:
>
>     The troff facility at our installation can generate
>     Pstscript code. I have raster image which I would
>     like to include in my text. Is there   pre-processor
>     somewhere out there that will allow my to include
>     my image. I have a program which can convert the
>     raster to Postscript code but I have no idea how to
>     merge this code with the one produce by troff. Any
>     help would be appreciated.

Franco, there are several products which will do the job you specified.

The one I use is postsc.  It does a very nice job of converting dvi to
postscript.  There are several easy commands to include bitmaped
images, postscript programs, or perform basic operations like
rotation, and changing ink levels.

Devps does an excellent job also but I have very limted experience
with it.

There is a preprocessor out of U. of Penn. called psfig.  Psfig works
with transcript which comes from Adobe.

Eroff is another popular postprocessor (like postsc and devps) I have
almost no experience with it so I don't know if it will do your job.

If you want info on these products devps, eroff and Adobe are usually
advertised in trade journals (UNIX/World, UNIX Review).  I can
send you more info on Postsc (address, man page, phone number).  If
you want ... just drop me a line.

BPC

             : UC San Francisco       : brianc@daedalus.ucsf.edu
Brian Colfer : Dept. of Lab. Medicine : ...!ucbvax!daedalus.ucsf.edu!brianc
             :  PH. 415-476-2325      : brianc@ucsfcca.bitnet

dag@auc.UUCP (Daniel Gibson ) (04/05/88)

I am trying to learn postscript and am looking for some good sources
as well as any books out there that can be helpful. In the Atlanta
University Center there are 3B15's implementing unix. Any information
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you
Daniel Gibson

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (04/07/88)

Of course, the official books are the three Adobe books, the
Postscript Cookbook and Tutorial (BLUE), the Postscript Reference
Manual (RED), and the new book on writing postscript (GREEN).
These are published by Addison Wesley.

In addition there is a book out called something like "Understanding
Postscript"  which seemed to be reasonable as well.

-Ron