[comp.lang.postscript] HPGL -> Postscript

earl@amc-vlsi.UUCP ( AMC Staff) (11/12/87)

My company needs a filter to convert HPGL (the Hewlett-Packard
Graphics Language for pen plotters) to Postscript.  Is there any
available?

Earl Locken
Alberta Microelectronic Centre
#200, 1620-29 St. NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada  T2N 4L7
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!alberta!calgary!amc-vlsi!earl

kyle@meow.UUCP (kyle) (11/21/87)

In article <397@amc-vlsi.UUCP>, earl@amc-vlsi.UUCP ( AMC Staff) writes:

> My company needs a filter to convert HPGL (the Hewlett-Packard
> Graphics Language for pen plotters) to Postscript.  Is there any
> available?

I would like a PostScript to HPGL filter if such a thing is possible.
Anybody?  Anybody?  (I am also looking for an HPGL {filter,driver} for
nroff.)

	Kyle
	uunet!nuchat!meow!kyle

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin Barry Crocker) (11/25/87)

In article <215@meow.UUCP>, kyle@meow.UUCP (kyle) writes:
>In article <397@amc-vlsi.UUCP>, earl@amc-vlsi.UUCP ( AMC Staff) writes:
> > My company needs a filter to convert HPGL (the Hewlett-Packard
> > Graphics Language for pen plotters) to Postscript.  Is there any
> > available?
>
> I would like a PostScript to HPGL filter if such a thing is possible.
> Anybody?  Anybody?  (I am also looking for an HPGL {filter,driver} for
> nroff.)

Kyle

Please note the smiley!  Can either be done.  It would be really nice
if a stand alone filter existed that went either way.  We have files
that are in both formats and we need to merge them into one document so
either filter would be useful.  Of course, a HPGL to Postscript would
still be my choice as I generate a lot more Postscript than HPGL.

Please help those of us that are not really in the thick of things when
it comes to filters.

ihnp4!alberta!auvax!kevinc (Kevin Crocker Athabasca University)
Do our employers have opinions or is that what we get paid for!

kyle@meow.UUCP (11/29/87)

In article <420@auvax.UUCP>, kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin Barry Crocker) writes:
> Please note the smiley!

Noted.

>                                               It would be really nice
> if a stand alone filter existed that went either way.

Yes, it would be nice!

> Please help those of us that are not really in the thick of things when
> it comes to filters.

I have received quite a few requests to pass along a PostScript -> HPGL
filter if I receive one.  It seems that there is quite a bit of interest in
both the PS->HPGL and HPGL->PS filters, but unfortunately I have received
neither.  I was not able to catch the PostScript Interpreter that moved on
net.sources.unix not too long ago, but I'm sure that someone should be able
to convert it to output HPGL commands.  Any wizards willing to try this one?
I will volunteer as a guinea pig if you need to test it...

		Kyle Rhorer
		uunet!nuchat!meow!kyle

jja@tut.fi (Ahola Jari) (12/01/87)

	My solution for the HPGL -> PostScript problem:

		1.	Find a PC with Ventura Publisher.
		2.	Read in the HPGL- file as a Line-Art file.
		3.	Print it out as a PostScript file to a disk.
			(You must have installed a PS printer
			 as VP's printing device).
		4.	Edit the scales if needed.

	BTW this works, I've tested it with files up to 200kb of
	HPGL.

					jja

			Tampere University of Technology
			Computer Science Department
				Finland

chrisc@augean.OZ (Chris Clarkson) (12/02/87)

I have seen `n' dozen request for a HPGL to Postscript filter coming out of
the States and each time I see one I post to those asking that Don McCormick
at the CSIRO Division of Applied Physics here in Australia has such a beast.
The problem is I don't know what Don's address is. If Don reads this group
he may well post a followup. However I will leave it up to you enterprising guys
in the States to try and find out what his address is. It shouldn't be too
hard to find. Start with the UUCP maps find the site that corresponds to the
CSIRO Divison of Applied Physics and post to Postmaster at that sight asking
for Don's address.

Chris Clarkson
chrisc@augean.oz.au

johnf@dmsadel.dms.oz (John Field) (12/02/87)

damc@natmlab.oz will find him.

craigb@ipso.ips.oz (Craig Bevins) (12/02/87)

In article <271@augean.OZ> chrisc@augean.OZ (Chris Clarkson) writes:

>   I have seen `n' dozen request for a HPGL to Postscript filter ...
>   ... Don McCormick at the CSIRO Division of Applied Physics here
>   in Australia has such a beast.
>   ... I don't know what Don's address is.

The address is:

	damc@natmlab.dms.oz.au
or:
	uunet!natmlab.dms.oz.au!damc

Cop that, Don.  Thy mailbox overfloweth ...

--

Craig Bevins.
IPS Radio and Space Services.  Australian Govt Dept of Admin Services.

pd1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip H. Dye) (04/20/88)

             HPGL -> Postscript

Does anyone have such a program?  It would be quit useful
to many users here.

If you have one please email it to one of the addresses below.

Philip H. Dye
Chemical Engineering Dept.
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 268-6095

Internet:       pd1h+cheme@andrew.cmu.edu
Usenet:        seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!pd1h+cheme
Bitnet:        pd1h+cheme%andrew.cmu.edu@cmuccvma

barsam@eros.ame.arizona.edu (Barsam Marasli) (04/22/88)

In article <0WP07ny00XM24Lk041@andrew.cmu.edu> pd1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip H. Dye) writes:

>             HPGL -> Postscript
>
>Does anyone have such a program?  It would be quit useful
>to many users here.

I also would like to have that one.

Barsam Marasli                  # Speak slowly, I hear with an accent. #
Internet: eros!barsam@arizona.edu
UUCP    : ...{allegra,ihnp4,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!eros!barsam
Bitnet  : barsam@arizrvax