[net.micro] Turbo Editor Toolbox

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (05/02/86)

In article <1771@panda.UUCP> plw@genrad.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:
>Does anybody have any experience using Borland's Turbo Editor Toolbox?

Personally, no. But I know a bit about it...

>Specifically, is it source code that can be modified to become the
>editor of your choice?

Yup. Turbo source initially configured to be wordstar-like,
but you can do ANYTHING you want. Anything.

>Is it memory resident, like the Sidekick notepad?

Nope. For that matter, is ANY word-processor resident?

--

Erik Bailey        -- 7 Oak Knoll                 (USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!think!ejb       Arlington, MA  02174        Thinking Machines Corp.

	   It takes thought to make a program that thinks.
	   But it takes work to make a program that works.

plw@panda (05/02/86)

Does anybody have any experience using Borland's Turbo Editor Toolbox?

Specifically, is it source code that can be modified to become the
editor of your choice?

Is it memory resident, like the Sidekick notepad?

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

CC.GALVIN@R20.UTEXAS.EDU (Pete Galvin) (05/03/86)

The Turbo Editor Toolbox contains a 2 full-fledged word processors with
their Pascal source code.  "Standard" w.p. functions are included
(word wrap, block moves, etc), as well as some DOS access routines.
There is no code for making an editor memory-resident (although you
could try to add this yourself.  Also, no print feature is included
(at least no embedded print command support).

					--Pete
-------

chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu (Brent Chapman) (05/05/86)

In article <5079@think.ARPA> ejb@think.UUCP (Erik Bailey) writes:
>In article <1771@panda.UUCP> plw@genrad.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:
>>Specifically, is it source code that can be modified to become the
>>editor of your choice?
>
>Yup. Turbo source initially configured to be wordstar-like,
>but you can do ANYTHING you want. Anything.
>
>>Is it memory resident, like the Sidekick notepad?
>
>Nope. For that matter, is ANY word-processor resident?

Well, I happen to be partial to BRIEF.  It is completely programmable
and expandable, ala Emacs/GNUmacs.  While not "resident" in the sense
you mean, you can get something similar by calling up BRIEF, then
pushing a command shell from within BRIEF.  I recommend it, for
programming, over any other microcomputer editor I've ever seen or
used.  I think it costs about $179, or something like that.

I'm currently collecting a bunch of BRIEF "macros" (programs,
actually) from various sources.  If you are a BRIEF user, and have
something to contribute, or would like to receive the package when
I'm finished with it, let me know vie e-mail.

Brent Chapman
chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu
ucbvax!pavepaws!chapman

marty@ism780c.UUCP (Marty Smith) (05/05/86)

In article <1771@panda.UUCP> plw@genrad.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:
>Does anybody have any experience using Borland's Turbo Editor Toolbox?

I'm using the Borland Editor Toolbox as the base for an editor for
screenwriters.  I'm not far enough along yet to comment on the quality of the
package, but I'm finding that I'm rewriting a great deal of the code from
scratch.  This is probably due more to the different requirements of an
editor for screenwriters than it is due to any problem with the Toolbox.

So far, I'm pleased that I bought it, because I've learned some things
about editors by reading the code, and it has allowed me to start off
with a system that already has the dirty problems of editors solved.

One problem is that the Toolbox itself takes up most of the 64K of code
space allowed.  So if the system you're building on top of it needs a lot
of space, you might run into problems.

The Toolbox writes to the screen directly, which, if I'm not mistaken, puts
it in the class of programs that are not "well-behaved".  That might mean
problems if you want your editor to run under control of a system like
MicroSoft Windows, but I'm not sure about that.  Maybe someone who knows
more could comment?

				martin smith

				marty@ism780c.UUCP
				(213) 459-6729

dpz@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) (05/07/86)

> In article <1771@panda.UUCP> plw@genrad.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:
> >Does anybody have any experience using Borland's Turbo Editor Toolbox?
>
> The Toolbox writes to the screen directly, which, if I'm not mistaken, puts
> it in the class of programs that are not "well-behaved".  That might mean
> problems if you want your editor to run under control of a system like
> MicroSoft Windows, but I'm not sure about that.  Maybe someone who knows
> more could comment?

Yes, it would cause problems.  Unless a non-Windows program is
"well-behaved" (ie, doesn't write directly to the screen and doesn't
read directly from the keyboard) it will not run optimally under
Windows.  However, Windows can deal with these problem programs.

For programs that directly write to the screen, Windows gives them the
screen.  To switch back to the Windows desktop, you give an ALT-TAB,
and back pops Windows, with your application still running in a little
icon on the bottom of the screen.  Hopefully the application won't
need the ALT-TAB for anything crucial.

For programs that directly read from the keyboard, Windows gives them
the keyboard and the screen.  Why?  Well, if they take the keyboard,
then Windows just can't function - if the program traps all the
special keystrokes and "mouse-strokes" that Windows uses to move
between applications, you obviously can't move between applications!
So Windows just gives up and gives the machine to the program, screen
and all.  When you exit the program, Windows jumps back in and you've
got your desktop back.

The Turbo Editor Toolbox luckily only modifies the screen, so you can
(and I have) run it under Windows.  You switch from the Toolbox to the
desktop with ALT-TAB (since it doesn't trap the keys), and you switch
from the desktop to the Toolbox by opening the Toolbox icon.

		dz
--
Name: David P. Zimmerman	Nickname: "Davidann" (don't ask)
Cute quote: " (well, *I* think it's cute!)

ljz@well.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) (05/08/86)

[ "line eater"? ]

In article <1771@panda.UUCP> plw@genrad.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:
>Does anybody have any experience using Borland's Turbo Editor Toolbox?
>
>Specifically, is it source code that can be modified to become the
>editor of your choice?
>
>Is it memory resident, like the Sidekick notepad?
>
>Any information on this would be appreciated.
>
>Thank you.
>
>--
>						Pete Williamson
>"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

I have the Editor Toolbox.  It's a bunch of Turbo Pascal routines that
can be used as building blocks for customized editors.  It comes with
2 pre-made editors ... one is a small, sample editor, and the other is
a full-blown Wordstar-type editor (similar to the built-in editor that
comes with Turbo Pascal, but better).  There's a fairly good instruction
manual that tells you the basics of how to construct and editor and
describes the existing routines.

You get a .COM file (since this is Turbo Pascal) ... no resident
capabilities unless you put them in yourself.

But all the source code is there, and you can do pretty much what you
please.  Overall, I think it's one of Borland's more useful products.

Oh yes, in addition, there are "hooks" in one of the source modules for
interfacing with Turbo Lightning, if it's resident.  It's not discussed
in the documentation, but the (fairly well commented) source code shows
you how to do this interface.

In article <259@cad.UUCP> chapman@pavepaws.UUCP (Brent Chapman) writes:
>In article <5079@think.ARPA> ejb@think.UUCP (Erik Bailey) writes:
>>In article <1771@panda.UUCP> plw@genrad.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:
>>>Specifically, is it source code that can be modified to become the
>>>editor of your choice?

>Well, I happen to be partial to BRIEF.

Well, since BRIEF has come up ...

I have tried it and I think there is even a *better* editor:  Epsilon
by Lugaru Software (5740 Darlington Rd., Pittsburgh, PA 15217,
(412) 421-5911).  It's quite EMACS-like.  It comes with a language to
write commands in called EEL ("Epsilon Editor Language", or some such
thing) which is actually C ... and a fairly good implementation.  It
has automatic disk buffering, is fast, allows you to edit multiple
files, lets you define windows, but most of all (and this is my
favorite feature), lets you run a DOS subprocess *concurrently* in a
window.  This is TRUE concurrency ... a compile can be cranking
away while you're editing in another window,

The EEL language is very powerful:  you can redefine most commands to
work the way you want, reconfigure the keyboard, and define your own
new commands.  One command I defined allowed me to mark text and then
pipe it through a DOS filter, replacing the original text with the
output of the filter.  This is much like the "!" command in the
Unix 'vi' editor.  I've never seen any MSDOS editor I could do this
on so easily, and I've definitely not seen any MSDOS editor that
supports true concurrency.

Check it out.

kpk@gitpyr.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (05/10/86)

In article <4929@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, dpz@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
> > In article <1771@panda.UUCP> plw@genrad.UUCP (Pete Williamson) writes:
> > >Does anybody have any experience using Borland's Turbo Editor Toolbox?
> >
> > The Toolbox writes to the screen directly, which, if I'm not mistaken, puts
> > it in the class of programs that are not "well-behaved".  That might mean
> > problems if you want your editor to run under control of a system like
> > MicroSoft Windows, but I'm not sure about that.  Maybe someone who knows
> > more could comment?
>
> Yes, it would cause problems.  Unless a non-Windows program is
> "well-behaved" (ie, doesn't write directly to the screen and doesn't
> read directly from the keyboard) it will not run optimally under
> Windows.  However, Windows can deal with these problem programs.

Of course there is a simple fix to make Turbo Editor Toolbox work
as a well behaved program.  Since you have the source, modify it to
write using ANSI.SYS.  There is the minor problem that a screen update
will take about a week, though. :-)

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (05/15/86)

> Epsilon...
> This is TRUE concurrency ... a compile can be cranking
> away while you're editing in another window,

Unfortunately it won't work with DoubleDos, according to the people
I spoke to when I was calling around looking for an editor. What
sort of quantum does Epsilon use? How jerky does it get?

> One command I defined allowed me to mark text and then
> pipe it through a DOS filter, replacing the original text with the
> output of the filter.  This is much like the "!" command in the
> Unix 'vi' editor.

I did the same thing in "brief".

> Check it out.

I'm no longer working at a place that is willing to buy software
because I think it looks interesting. Any ideas?
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- UUCP: ...!shell!{baylor,graffiti}!peter; MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076