[comp.lang.postscript] Reading Data From PostScript

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/18/88)

Does anyone have an example of a program that reads data and performs
some operation on that data?  (Data that isn't necessarily all ASCII).
It appears that the releases of PostScript after 28.0 have the provision
for reading data without ^T, ^D, ^C, and ^S/^Q being intercepted.  If
this is really the case, how does end of file get recognized?  Or does
a PostScript program have to sense end of file based on the data?

Does anyone know how to detect a lapse of time in PostScript?  I don't
see a timer function of any sort, and looping for n iterations is highly
dependent on the hardware.

Clayton E. Cramer
..!hplabs!pyramid!kontron!optilin!cramer

mark@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mark Rowe) (04/22/88)

Look at the "usertime" command for elasped time tracking within a PostScript
program.

Mark Rowe
mark@hp-pcd

sid@brambo.UUCP (Sid Van den Heede) (04/22/88)

In article <2013@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

>Does anyone know how to detect a lapse of time in PostScript?  I don't
>see a timer function of any sort, and looping for n iterations is highly
>dependent on the hardware.

The Adobe red book documents a bug in manual feeding, where a page that
you want to have printed on manually fed paper is printed on a page from the
tray if you tell it to manually feed to soon after another page has printed.
They also provide a workaround, which involves delaying for 5 seconds
before requesting manual feed.  Thus, there is a timer, and it's a variable,
not a function.  Here's the workaround, which demonstrates the use of the
variable, and shows that the variable varies "behind the scenes".

usertime 5000 add		     % current usertime + 5000 ms
{dup usertime lt {pop exit} if} loop % wait for usertime to catch up
statusdict /manualfeed true put
--
Sid Van den Heede		Voice: 416-792-1137
sid@brambo.UUCP			FAX:   416-792-1536