[comp.lang.postscript] The trouble with pagebreaks...

tcianflo@nugipsy.UUCP (Tom Cianflone) (04/27/88)

Now that I've got Mac-generated PostScript drawings coming out of our
UNIX-connected PostScript printer (thanks to all you helpful folks
on USENET), I've been experimenting with other things
the printer can do.  Our printer (DataProducts 2665) has two paper
trays and can handle up to 11x17 (B-size) sheets in the larger
paper tray.

Getting the paper trays to switch was easy using the setpapertray
commands in statusdict.  This should allow us to print, on one sheet of
B-size paper, any oversize artwork we have for our manuals.
This would be really nice, since now we have to paste the
multiple-page output of the Apple LaserWriter drawings together
for these larger drawings. (The Apple LaserWriter handles only
8-1/2x14 pages, although you can draw a MacDraw drawing much
than that.)

To accommodate the LaserWriter, however, MacDraw saves oversize
drawings in page-size chunks.  When I run these drawings off the
DP2665 printer, I can indeed get the paper tray to switch, but the
dwg still comes out in as many pages as it takes to print the
whole image on the Apple Laserwriter.

So, the question is, Is it possible to edit out the page breaks in
the Mac-generated PostScript code while keeping the rest of the
drawing intact? If you have any insight on this one, let me know.
If you would like, I can email you one such file I am working with
now.  Email preferred, and Thanks in advance!
--
=>      Regards, Tom Cianflone (tcianflone@gould.UUCP)      <=
=>   ...!{uunet,sun,pur-ee,brl-smoke}!gould!tcianflone      <=

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (04/27/88)

In article <1099@nugipsy.UUCP> tcianflo@nugipsy.UUCP (Tom Cianflone) writes:
>the printer can do.  Our printer (DataProducts 2665) has two paper
>trays and can handle up to 11x17 (B-size) sheets in the larger
>paper tray.
>
>for these larger drawings. (The Apple LaserWriter handles only
>8-1/2x14 pages, although you can draw a MacDraw drawing much
>than that.)
>To accommodate the LaserWriter, however, MacDraw saves oversize
>drawings in page-size chunks.  When I run these drawings off the
>DP2665 printer, I can indeed get the paper tray to switch, but the
>dwg still comes out in as many pages as it takes to print the
>whole image on the Apple Laserwriter.

This is rather simple to answer, from the Mac end of things. MacDraw
remembers the page size that it gets from the LaserWriter driver. If
none is specified, it will use 8.5x11 pages. If you select a different
size/shape, say landscape, you will notice that MacDraw displays the
pages as landscape. The new LaserWriter Driver, version 5.2, coming
within a month or so, in the System Software 6.0 release, includes
a page size selection of "tabloid", which is 11x17. This should
alleviate all your problems. You need the new Laser Prep dictionary
to output this way, and I do not know enough about PostScript to help
you temporarily do this yourself.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   - Yoyodyne    -
-  Crown College, UCSC     - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba- Propulsion  -
-  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    - BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  - Systems     -
-  (408) 426-8869          - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.        -             -

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (04/28/88)

In article <1099@nugipsy.UUCP> tcianflo@nugipsy.UUCP (Tom Cianflone) writes:
>the printer can do.  Our printer (DataProducts 2665) has two paper
>trays and can handle up to 11x17 (B-size) sheets in the larger
>To accommodate the LaserWriter, however, MacDraw saves oversize
>drawings in page-size chunks.  When I run these drawings off the
>DP2665 printer, I can indeed get the paper tray to switch, but the
>dwg still comes out in as many pages as it takes to print the
>whole image on the Apple Laserwriter.
>
>So, the question is, Is it possible to edit out the page breaks in
>the Mac-generated PostScript code while keeping the rest of the

The best solution is to edit the appropriate PREC resouces in the Mac's
printer driver so the Mac knows the real size of the printer's page
(the same way it can be told about A4 paper or US Legal).  Then MacDraw
et.  al.  will automatically be able to print on B paper.  This is easy
to do with the right copy of ResEdit (it needs a special TMPL resouce
to make it easy), but you can do it in hex if you know what you are
doing.  I have not personally done this, but it has been done by
someone.  (my memory's like a sieve!)  I think Apple even documented
this in a Tech Note.

Otherwise you'll really have to fool around with the Postscript and do
'paste-up' that way.  Rather inelegant I should think.

! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"