[comp.lang.postscript] page counting; books

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (04/24/88)

Two questions:

1.  Is there an easy way to count, request, or guess the number of pages that
a Postscript printer will produce for a given print job (LaserWriter II/NT, in
this specific case)?

2.  Could somebody recommend a book or books on Postscript?  I could use both
a textbook or user guide, and a reference manual?

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,ihnp4}!nucsrl!gore

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (04/25/88)

In article <8030003@eecs.nwu.edu>, gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) writes...

]Two questions:

(Don't know the answer to the first one.)

]2.  Could somebody recommend a book or books on Postscript?  I could use both
]a textbook or user guide, and a reference manual?

Adobe Systems, via Addison-Wesley, publishes three books, often referred to
by their colors:

The Blue Book:
   PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook
The Green Book:
   PostScript Language Program Design
The Red Book:
   PostScript Language Reference Manual

All are excellent; at a minimum you would want Blue and Red.  I've only
had a PostScript printer a short time, and I've really enjoyed playing
with it.

==Jess Anderson======(home:)========INTERNET: anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu====
| 1210 W. Dayton     2838 Stevens   UUCP: {harvard,rutgers,allegra,ucbvax} |
| Madison, WI 53706  Madison 53705   !uwvax!vms3.macc.wisc.edu!anderson    |
==608/263-6988=======608/238-4833===BITNET: anderson@wiscmacc===============

jcb@its63b.ed.ac.uk (J Bradfield) (04/26/88)

In article <8030003@eecs.nwu.edu> gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) writes:
>1.  Is there an easy way to count, request, or guess the number of pages that
>a Postscript printer will produce for a given print job (LaserWriter II/NT, in
>this specific case)?

Only if the Postscript conforms to the structuring conventions given in
Appendix C of the Red Book (see below). In that case, you simply look for
the line
%%Pages: n
in the header, or the line
%%Pages: (atend)
in the header and
%%Pages: n
in the trailer. If your Postscript does not conform to the convention, you're
stuck, unless you want to employ dodgy strategies like counting the number
of showpage and copypage commands (which may well be wrapped up in
procedures!).

>2.  Could somebody recommend a book or books on Postscript?  I could use both
>a textbook or user guide, and a reference manual?

The definitive reference manual is the `Red Book':
PostScript Language Reference Manual   by   Adobe Systems Incorporated.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0 201 10174 2

and the corresponding tutorial is the `Blue Book':
PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook
                ISBN 0 201 10179 3

fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) (05/06/88)

>>2.  Could somebody recommend a book or books on Postscript?  I could use both
>>a textbook or user guide, and a reference manual?
>
> The definitive reference manual is the `Red Book':
> PostScript Language Reference Manual   by   Adobe Systems Incorporated.
> Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0 201 10174 2
>
> and the corresponding tutorial is the `Blue Book':
> PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook
>                 ISBN 0 201 10179 3
and the corresponding programming manual is the `Green Book':
PostScript Language Program Design
Addison-Wesley,ISBN 0 201 14396 8

but there is also the pink book:
David A. Holzgang
Understanding Postscript Programming
Sybex,ISBN 0 89588 396 1

and there is another one (something like `Postscript Programming' or
`Programming with PostScript') that never made it to Europe.

Hope this helps!
fmr@cwi.nl

--
It is better never to have been born. But who among us has such luck?
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.